The Pink Guitar Thread

Reaction score
Sorry for the (stupid) question, but I woke in the middle of the night and this question came out...?

Please, bear in mind I like all colors and that this post is not related to sex/gender identification, race or religious ideals, politics or whatever. It's purely about my/our perception of color and how it pleases me/us.

Background on this question and why it came to be: I'm in the visual arts "business", I live by the visual arts, either teaching, either doing whatever about it.

So, to me, the Pink color is a washed out Red. Pink is but one of the many shades of Red, as are some of the Brown colors. It's a color one will use when in the need to create a light spot in a Red gradient...

To me, Pink is a "not quite there" kind of color, it's neither White neither Red, an "in between" that is not particular appealing when isolated. Obviously, Pink relates to a broad spectrum of colors between almost Red and almost White (though there are some who don't consider White as a true color, but that's another discussion), where the majority doesn't do anything for me besides being a "passage" between 2 extremes.

So, transporting this into guitars, it makes me feel "meh", it doesn't really clicks on me. I can understand that many of you may like it and I accept it, it's simply that I can't like it. I can also understand and recognize a well made guitar and finish in Pink, but I'm not forced to like it, am I?

Curiously, this feel doesn't happen with other washed out colors from Greens, Blues or even Yellows, but from washed out Reds or Violets it's a big NO for me when isolated and covering large areas like a guitar body. It really doesn't work for me. However, going in the opposite direction into the Darkness (this grey hexa color code is double evil: #666666), most "in between" colors are interesting to me. It's just that Pink makes me have some sort of allergic reaction when isolated and in large areas...

So, the question is, why or why not Pink?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
What the hell did I just read?

Pink guitars look very metal to me. Maybe there's a punk sort of thing to it, as in society, pink means cute or girly. But at the end of the day, colors are more of a feeling. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I don't get why there needs to be a science tied to this....

Anyways, here's some hot pink ESPs, and a bonus camo that I'd kill for.

hqiqlmhm9g6irg7grc9k.jpg

00g0g_cqo30cdzAeZ_0Ac0CI_600x450.jpg

eco71i6js6ciu0ehmhah.jpg

e9e7b7724a468896eb65a76414d7d637.jpg

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Not really a fan of pink either, I always associate it with girly stuff (barbies, my little pony, hello kitty, and that sort of thing). But I do like it when it's a really bright pink on top of a black background. For example the latest Tuska Festival t-shirt was available in that color scheme, it just looks cool.
Same with guitars, really, I wouldn't mind a guitar with some pink details on it... But it would never be my first choice for the base color. I guess maybe if it was a very specific kind of pink, it might work for me. But it's the same with all colors really - my favorite color's red, but for guitars (or cars) it's gotta be that Ferrari Red or I won't like it.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Wearing pink, as a man, indicates that you're not concerned with being seen with a "girly" color. It shows that you have a confidence that supercedes the connotations the color normally carries. You're giving the finger to stereotypes and convention. It's a bit like a scaled-down version of "glam". Festooning oneself in pink displays a bit of camp, irony, or satire, even if only subconsciously.

Another part of it is simply retro appeal. Cars, appliances, and bathrooms all used to come in pink, as well as guitars. So there's a certain cultural nostalgia and whimsy in the retro-ness of the color.

The appeal of pink seems to be less about the actual physical features of the color, and more about the psychology of it. Though it seems the more intense the color is, like magentas and neon pinks, the more it carries its own appeal independent of the more subtle versions.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Wearing pink, as a man, indicates that you're not concerned with being seen with a "girly" color. It shows that you have a confidence that supercedes the connotations the color normally carries. You're giving the finger to stereotypes and convention. It's a bit like a scaled-down version of "glam". Festooning oneself in pink displays a bit of camp, irony, or satire, even if only subconsciously.

Another part of it is simply retro appeal. Cars, appliances, and bathrooms all used to come in pink, as well as guitars. So there's a certain cultural nostalgia and whimsy in the retro-ness of the color.

The appeal of pink seems to be less about the actual physical features of the color, and more about the psychology of it. Though it seems the more intense the color is, like magentas and neon pinks, the more it carries its own appeal independent of the more subtle versions.
"A real man is never afraid to wear pink"

(Alfie, from the movie "Alfie")

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
There is a saying in spanish that goes: "Para gustos, los colores" (Different strokes for different folks). And it really fits on this thread.

I'm not a fan of "pastel" colors in general. They remind me of babies stuff and I don't like that in my gear. I don't like pink either, so obviously Pastel Pink is the worst offender :lol:

I'm definetely not a "all black metul" kinda guy (in fact I hate how brands like ESP think metalheads only want black guitars). And I don't really think it has anything to do with "gender colors" or whatever either (purple is usually associated to women as well and I love purple). I just don't like pink same as my wife dislikes yellow, so we don't buy shit on those colors. In fact, my wife actually hates pink because she always complains that girl's gear and clothing in general always have some kind of pink on it, even if it's just accents (specially shoes and sports gear), as if you have to like pink just for being a girl.

This thread just reminded me how much I want a metallic red Jackson Warrior. I'm a sucker for metallic colors and sadly they've gone out of fashion (looks like nowadays everything is satin). Every time I see a Mazda with their "Soul Red Crystal" finish on the road I'm like "fuck is that color amazing, I want a guitar like that".

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I like pastel colours on fender style bodies, i like neon colours on 80s super shredder bodies (superstrat, pointy guitars), throw either of those types if colour on a gibson and watch my distate more often than not. :lol:

')