Why should I get Peavy instead of EVH 5150?

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I play Mesa but want something different to dick around with! Im ready to pull the trigger on either a 6505, 6505+ or EVH 5150 iii. Why should I not get the EVH and get the Peavy instead? Or is it clear that if I can afford the EVH then obviously thats what I should get. Nodoby has all three in stock and its a 90 minute drive to try out any of em.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky_Gallows

lyketotallybrashdude
Reaction score
Have you tried the evh? I haven't even seen one around my area...
So if you do get to play through one let me know if its any good!

HOWEVER I do love my 6505+
to me its not as touchy as Mesa dual or triple rectifier and I've found a lot of flexibility with my tone using the resonance and presence knobs.

Good luck:shred:

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Go EVH.

It's Whitechapel approved ;) hahaha

but in all honesty the EVH is a better version of the 6505 in my opinion. I used to love the 6505 and still do, but it's dull and lifeless compare to the EVH. The EVH has more attack and dynamic to the gain structure. Sounds really tight and percusive. Has just as much low end as well, nice and punchy. Plus if you play clean, the clean channel on the EVH is in another world compared to the 6505 since the EVH is made by Fender.

There is no reason not to. The EVH is what the 5150 SHOULD have been.

This.

Ricky_Gallows

lyketotallybrashdude
Reaction score
Go EVH.

but in all honesty the EVH is a better version of the 6505 in my opinion. I used to love the 6505 and still do, but it's dull and lifeless compare to the EVH. The EVH has more attack and dynamic to the gain structure. Sounds really tight and percusive. Has just as much low end as well, nice and punchy. Plus if you play clean, the clean channel on the EVH is in another world compared to the 6505 since the EVH is made by Fender.

This.

wish i would have know this sooner haha

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Go EVH.

This.

*got quoted by Alex...now feels like fucking superman*

There are tonal differences between them all (as with ALL amps), but the kicker here is that the EVH is absolutely capable of sounding, and behaving ALMOST EXACTLY like the 5150. But, the 5150 is lacking a clean channel thats worth a shit, and lacking that extra 'Umph' the EVH delivers through superior technology and field experience.

I view the 5150 as the beta to the 6505. and the EVH is the super improved, well thought out and researched sequel.

Actually had the chance once to play a block letter 5150 (with groove tubes, and original 5150 cab) and a barely broken-in EVH w/ matching cab; side by side with an A/B switch. Was amazing how good the 5150 sounded (even though I hate GTs), but the EVH absolutely DESTROYED the block letter in every single aspect....hands down.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
Go EVH.

So you used the "dull and lifeless" amp on the new album? :squint:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Fender 5150III has 3 channels, and one of them is a fender clean. Need I say more?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Negative. Thought they decided on the block letter 5150 (there are differences)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

:lol: wade said the 5150III makes the 5150 sound dull and lifeless... ;)

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Go EVH.

but in all honesty the EVH is a better version of the 6505 in my opinion. I used to love the6505 and still do, but it's dull and lifeless compare to the EVH. The EVH has more attack and dynamic to the gain structure. Sounds really tight and percusive. Has just as much low end as well, nice and punchy. Plus if you play clean, the clean channel on the EVH is in another world compared to the 6505 since the EVH is made by Fender.

This.

:lol: wade said the 5150III makes the 5150 sound dull and lifeless... ;)

He does? :scratch:

Reaction score
Negative. Thought they decided on the block letter 5150 (there are differences)

Correct me if I'm wrong.
there are not differences...how many times will that be said. My only problem with the evh is its a big fuckin billboard for evh!looks stupid. I couldnt give a shit about a clean channel either.

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
Yes and no. A stock 6505 compared to the EVH does sound a bit lifeless in comparison. Because of that, a stock 5150 (block letter or signature) would sound exactly the same in comparison.

There is no difference between any non II or non + version of the 5150 and 6505 except aesthetics and the board the circuitry is on.

They used a 5150 blockletter, because there's a certain magical thing that happens when you put the right preamp tube in the V1 slot of a 5150, and bias mod it. It becomes the best goddamned high-gain amp ever. No contest, IMO. Stock, they don't compare to the new one, though.

EDIT: That's also your reason to go for Peavey over the EVH III. If you don't care about cleans, throw a Tung Sol in the V1 slot, bias mod it and you'll never find yourself thinking about another amp.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes and no. A stock 6505 compared to the EVH does sound a bit lifeless in comparison. Because of that, a stock 5150 (block letter or signature) would sound exactly the same in comparison.

There is no difference between any non II or non + version of the 5150 and 6505 except aesthetics and the board the circuitry is on.

They used a 5150 blockletter, because there's a certain magical thing that happens when you put the right preamp tube in the V1 slot of a 5150, and bias mod it. It becomes the best goddamned high-gain amp ever. No contest, IMO. Stock, they don't compare to the new one, though.

Absolutely agree on the magic voodoo, V1 kick in the nuts (which is why I'm searching for a blockletter now).

But I'll swear till the day I die, that the 5150 and the 6505 sound different. VERY soon I'll get the chance to A/B them, but I've played them both within the same hour, and there were differences to me. Maybe more of the behaviour, and not the tonal qualities. Regardless, didn't sound the same to me.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely agree on the magic voodoo, V1 kick in the nuts (which is why I'm searching for a blockletter now).

But I'll swear till the day I die, that the 5150 and the 6505 sound different. VERY soon I'll get the chance to A/B them, but I've played them both within the same hour, and there were differences to me. Maybe more of the behaviour, and not the tonal qualities. Regardless, didn't sound the same to me.

that's called tubes, and how many hours are on the tubes, and how matched the tubes are for the set bias of the amp... that has nothing to do with any other component, most likely.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score

different tubes?

wtf., been ninja'd:ninja:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I couldnt give a shit about a clean channel either.

I sincerely feel bad for you. One day you *may* learn to appreciate, and maybe even utilize a clean channel. Until then, Enjoy the crunch and lead of a 5150!

*this is not slandering 5150's or this poster, I just don't understand people who claim to have no use for a clean channel - it's a thing of beauty.*

Reaction score
Please...can we just clear up that the 5150 and 6505 are the same amp and "blockletter" means nothing? They are the same amp..circuitry and all, only possible difference would be tubes. Really what's with this "blockletter" thing that must be after 5150?

Now having said that..I've wondered the same thing as the OP. I've been thinking of getting a 6505+ to mod but the 5150III is looking interesting as well. According to others, those who have played them say the 6505 just has "that tone" and none of the other amps can do it..they may get close but they never really do it.

')