Why should I get Peavy instead of EVH 5150?

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
I can't see a 5150III NOT getting just as aggresively brutal w/ the same settings - but I've never plugged into one, or heard them both in the same place. I have heard a 5150III live (darkest hour) and hot damn it sounded GOOD.

Half of it is probably playing style. The 6505's seem to be rougher sounding than the 5150 III's, that's the main difference I can tell between the two.

Tawlks

Reaction score
I don't know much about amps but I own a 5150 II and I've played a 6505 and a 6505+ and a 5150 III

The III does have better clean, and is more clean but doesn't have the smack in the face thing going on as much as the 6505/5150s do.

Picture the 5150 I as the balls out rough, high gain lumberjack guy.
the 5150 II is very slightly less ballsy (Apparently, I don't see it) and has a nicer clean, and is generally more versetile and a little smoother.

The 5150 III is just extends the difference between the I and II.

More raunchy, less smooth.
|
|
5150 II
|
5150 III
|
Less raunchy, more smooth.

Like Groph said any will kill the shit out of you. I heard somewhere that the I and II are more responsive to different tubes than the III, I don't know how much that affects you or how much that's true but oh well, something to be considered if you like to tweak that kinda thing.

In my opinion the 5150 III is probably a better amp judging by what people say but if you're playing hands down just metal riffage then go for the 6505 or 6505 +. Also, genreally.. the Peaveys are known for being reliable, so the problems with the III are worrying. Genreally I feel with 8 preamp tubes and 3 channels there's just more shit to go wrong.

Tawlks.

I actually quite like my 5150 IIs clean channel. It's better than the 5150/6505s but not as good as the IIIs. I was planning on buying a used laney or something for smooth stuff and cleans but didn't really feel it was needed. The 5150s having shit clean thing is a little.. "Hey, lets jump on this bandwaggen" type thing, they're not amazing but no one in the crowd's gonna care or notice the difference between Peavey and Fender cleans. Borrow another amp for recording cleans. :S

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
The EVH is what the 5150 SHOULD have been.

This is what Im thinking. I spoke with Paul Ryan from Origin and he told me that when he blew a tube on tour he borrowed an EVH 5150 from one of the guys in Darkest Hour and he said he was very impressed how well he stood out in the mix. Plus if its good enough for Alex Wade and with everything Ive been hearing I think Im going with the EVH just for something new to have fun with. Now all I need to do is decide on the Ivory white or black one.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Go EVH.

It's Whitechapel approved ;) hahaha

but in all honesty the EVH is a better version of the 6505 in my opinion. I used to love the 6505 and still do, but it's dull and lifeless compare to the EVH. The EVH has more attack and dynamic to the gain structure. Sounds really tight and percusive. Has just as much low end as well, nice and punchy. Plus if you play clean, the clean channel on the EVH is in another world compared to the 6505 since the EVH is made by Fender.

Says he who is using an original 5150 to track his new album ;)

I like the 6505+ personally, it's got the grit of the 6505 and the smoothness of the 5150III without having too much of either quality. Awesome for rhythm and lead.

The 5150III is probably a better amp, but it's tone just isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, but it doesn't have that grit that you get with the +.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Says he who is using an original 5150 to track his new album ;)

I like the 6505+ personally, it's got the grit of the 6505 and the smoothness of the 5150III without having too much of either quality. Awesome for rhythm and lead.

The 5150III is probably a better amp, but it's tone just isn't for me. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, but it doesn't have that grit that you get with the +.

I need grit! That is something I need to take to heart. Sounds like you have experience. I love how I get various opinions. Maybe I should drive the 90 minutes and try em out.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Yeah try them all out and see which one works best for you dude :yesway: When laying down that much cash, you need to be sure you're making the right decision.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Thats a pretty mean tone this guy has around 1:22, it starts around 1:04. He rips, yeah hes a little sloppy and its not a seven string but I dig the tone. Its loud and aggressive! Id bet it gets even better than what he has dialed in.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm always a bit (well, okay A LOT) skeptical of clips that show an amps tone by itself and not in a full band/mix context.

When I saw Whitechapel live on the 25th of Feb, when riffs just involving one guitar were playing, even through the 5150 head and Mesa Boogie Recto cab is sounded pretty average, but BAM, when the rest of the band came in complete with 2 other guitarists, bass player and drums my face was totally melted off clean.
The beauty of a 5150 is how well it works in the mix even if by itself it doesn't sound too impressive

spattergrind

Reaction score
I'm always a bit (well, okay A LOT) skeptical of clips that show an amps tone by itself and not in a full band/mix context.

When I saw Whitechapel live on the 25th of Feb, when riffs just involving one guitar were playing, even through the 5150 head and Mesa Boogie Recto cab is sounded pretty average, but BAM, when the rest of the band came in complete with 2 other guitarists, bass player and drums my face was totally melted off clean.
The beauty of a 5150 is how well it works in the mix even if by itself it doesn't sound too impressive

+1 probably why Jason Suecof chose it over anything, and the fact why its such a go to amp for metal.

victim5150

Reaction score
I bought my block letter 5150 halfstack in 93' or 94' it's been so long I can't remember. Only amp I used for gigging and recording the last 16 or 17 years. It has never given me one single problem. I love that amp and will never get rid of it. Clean sound has always been manageble with a little modulation or reverb or delay. I'v'e jammed with a couple of different guitarist in my band who quickly went out and bought a 5150 to replace there amps after hearing mine. Each of theirs were the signature model. Just my opinion but my block letter always sounded better than the signature. Everyone in the band felt the same way. I have no experience with the 6505 line. All this being said, I recently bought an ivory 5150 III halfstack and man it smokes my block letter 5150 and that is saying something. The clean channel is amazing. Has the nice fender clean sound. The 2nd channel is basically a Marshall JCM 800 which is what I had before my original 5150. The third channel is basically the 5150 lead channel. It's got all the gain of the original. After comparing them side by side the 5150 III just has more of a warmth to it. The 5150 has a more cold, sterile feel. This is just my opinion. I'm not knocking the 5150 in any way. I still have my block letter that I love and a 5150 combo that I bought in 98' as well so I am a huge a fan of the line. I now run the 5150 and the 5150 III in stereo for my live rig. When I'm lazy and just bring a halfstack I bring my 5150 III. It's just more versatile. I've had the 5150 since I was 20 or 21 and I only played metal and that's what it is best at. I'm now 38 and I still play mostly metal but not exclusively. The 5150 III lets me do everything I might want to do.
Stereosetup.jpg

Latest posts

')