Why Trivium Gets So Much Hate?

• Thread starter Johann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
my main gripe with Trivium is the fact that they're getting so popular for being completely unoriginal. I remember seeing them at sounds of the underground and being bored out of my skull, and they actually tried to cover master of puppets. It was bad. And I'm going to be honest, the fans of that band were there were just so uninformed about most other good metal, and that bothers me, because to say Trivium is the best band ever (heard it a lot there...) or whatever, you'd need to hear every other metal band to say that, which they haven't, they bought their Trivium shirt at hot topic and saw them on headbangers ball. There is just too much GOOD metal going unrecognized by the mainstream heavy metal fans.

I bet 50 bucks if hardcore Trivium fans heard Terrorhorse or they would shit their pants because of how awesome it is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Johann

Midnight Walker
Reaction score
hmm, i consider myself hardcore (i own all cd's, 2 autographs, 4 trivium shirts, 2 were sent by mistake, and not bought via-hot topic :lol:) and i heard terrorhorse, so give me my 50 bucks :D

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Trivium are getting hated on because they pretty much sold out to become Metallica Jr and attracted new fans that all just wanna gargle Corey and Matt's balls, while the original fans are left going "What the fuck is this new Trivium shit?" I don't really give two shits about them, I like Ascendancy, I can tolerate The Crusade and I've only listened to Shogun once but from what I've heard it's nothing special; but since they are mainstream and it's a slight change from The Crusade (they added a smidgen of screaming, oh boy!) people are thinking "Well they're a band thats constantly evolving and changing their sound" which is complete bullshit and leads those who view that statement as complete bullshit to publicly speak it and then debates ensue.

Johann

Midnight Walker
Reaction score
Trivium are getting hated on because they pretty much sold out to become Metallica Jr and attracted new fans that all just wanna gargle Corey and Matt's balls, while the original fans are left going "What the fuck is this new Trivium shit?" I don't really give two shits about them, I like Ascendancy, I can tolerate The Crusade and I've only listened to Shogun once but from what I've heard it's nothing special; but since they are mainstream and it's a slight change from The Crusade (they added a smidgen of screaming, oh boy!) people are thinking "Well they're a band thats constantly evolving and changing their sound" which is complete bullshit and leads those who view that statement as complete bullshit to publicly speak it and then debates ensue.

i agree with you in some parts, i think that even themselves regret saying that "we're gonna be the new metallica" crap, but under any means i'd NEVER ever want to gargle corey and matt balls :lol: And yeah, probably the people who liked ascendancy won't like the crusade and vice-versa, personally i like them since 2006 (2 months before the release of the crusade) and i loved all 3 albums and listened to them more or less often, but since shogun i've loved 'em, is not nothing new or groundbreaking like the black album but is definitely a good "comeback" (If you wanted to call it that way, since the departure of the "original" sound of ascendancy with the crusade) with solid tracks and it deserves a :yesway: IMO.

Johann

Midnight Walker
Reaction score
lol, i understood, but since i'm stating i love trivium you have to make everything clear, more in the intranetz (because is serious business... :rofl:)

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Honestly I dont really mind trivium much. I liked ember to inferno and ascendancy. I didnt think too much for the crusade, because that is when they went through a metallica wannabe stage. Although i thought shogun was interesting because they used 7 string guitars, and had a lot heavier parts than any other or their albums. I honestly think that if more people listened to shogun they would probably like it, but their minds are so set that they dont like trivium that they never will. That is just my two cents though

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I tend to nurse a certain dislike for Trvium due to the fanboy/girl nature of their music. You see the guitarists all over the guitar magazines posing with their Deans (Dimebag's design, no less) with pseudo macho/serious looks on their faces. There's a certain "Got one of those faces you just want to slap" element. They are hailed as the saviours of metal by the magazines as well, when there are other bands that are getting half the attention, yet are at least twice as good (Opeth IMO). Metalheads HATE being told what is the best new band, which is why you get all this Trvium loathing.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I don't like it when they try to rip Metallica off. Ascendency was different and a good album, but the Crusade was a thrash tribute album. They are better now they have returned to their old style but still incorporated a bit of thrash in there.

I think Trivium are an awesome band, but they need to be careful they don't copy Met.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I think their music is pretentious and contrived; how much of that can be attributed to their youth and not just them being insincere wankers is beyond me. Then again, I'm hardly their target audience, so what do I care.

This.

I grew up listening to Metallica and Megadeth. I stopped when Metallica started trying to engineer success, forsaking their political relevance for the sake of financial success.

I heard Death Magnetic a few months ago, and couldn't believe how awful it was. I was feeling nostalgic though, so I put Justice on to see if it was how I remember it. It was awful too. After years of listening to good metal like Dream Theater and having branched out into fusion, jazz, experimental, etc, I realize that my tastes have totally changed.

When I hear Trivium, I hear a band with potential desperately striving for mediocrity; Again, trying to engineer success. I'm beginning to suspect that American greed is so pervasive in their culture, that they unintentionally subvert themselves by default. There's no tradition of art for art's sake. In the US, it's x, y, or z for profit.

On the same note, when I hear somebody like Ihsahn, I hear brilliance made manifest due to the unwavering emphasis on the strength of the work (I'm not into black metal at all - Mustis and Ihsahn are the only composers in that genre that are remotely interesting to me).

Reaction score
I tend to nurse a certain dislike for Trvium due to the fanboy/girl nature of their music. You see the guitarists all over the guitar magazines posing with their Deans (Dimebag's design, no less) with pseudo macho/serious looks on their faces. There's a certain "Got one of those faces you just want to slap" element. They are hailed as the saviours of metal by the magazines as well, when there are other bands that are getting half the attention, yet are at least twice as good (Opeth IMO). Metalheads HATE being told what is the best new band, which is why you get all this Trvium loathing.

This point is beyond valid. My local metalcore kid keeps telling me to listen to Trivium and As I Lay Dying because they are "saviors of metal". I asked him if he reads alot of guitar world. Not surprisingly he answered with a yes.

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
This point is beyond valid. My local metalcore kid keeps telling me to listen to Trivium and As I Lay Dying because they are "saviors of metal". I asked him if he reads alot of guitar world. Not surprisingly he answered with a yes.

I begin to question whether Dean has a controlling stake in Guitar World.

Joel

Reaction score
The main reason i dont like them is because of all of the fanboys etc...
The two guitarists are not bad, but very average. Yet all of the anoying noob fanboys, who sit in guitar shops playing poorly excecuted sweeps, hoping to be heard, still hail them as some of the best guitarists... It just annoys me that two vey average guitarists get soooo much respect and coverage, when there are millions of other guitarists who can play circles around them.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score

I really like Trivium but I wouldn't say their old stuff was really original. They sounded like every other "metalcore" band out there at the time. At least with "The Crusade" they tried to play some "real" metal and break out of that metalcore stereotype (didn't do to great of a job though). I wouldn't say that their last 2 CDs are any more mainstream sounding than "Ascendancy" was when it came out :shrug:.

Shogun kicks all sorts of ass though:metal:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know for me it doesn't sound nearly as metalcore as stuff like As I Lay Dying (who I still love), it seemed more like just regular metal than metalcore

')