Why we're going to hell - Global Warming discussion

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/26/global_warming

Ok, more mainstream attention for global warming is good, right?

Check out the second comment.

What in the world is wrong with you people????? God said there would never be a flood that would cover the earth again so why worry. Anyway another thing I don't understand is why people think the world has just stayed the same. HELLO! There was the Ice Age, huge craters, canyons that have been shaped by wind, blah,blah,blah!!! The earth has been changing since it was created I'm sure! SO to worry is such a waste of time!!! Our lifespan is only like up to 115 years if your very lucky so people just need to start obeying God and be grateful for the life he's given us. If we accept him we can live for eternity or we may choose to live this short life disobeying him and go to hell.

My god, you can't make shit like that up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: Oh, Jesus. In a discussion on global warming, people are talking about God and going to hell?

Here's one to throw in your mixer and see if it blends... how about taking care of God's creation? I think that would probably be in line with a Creator who commisioned mankind to be stewards of his Creation. :rolleyes:

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/26/global_warming

Ok, more mainstream attention for global warming is good, right?

Check out the second comment.

My god, you can't make shit like that up.

I don't think I've read anything in recent memory that was both insightful and garbage simultaneously. That quote was amazing to read, because I'm thinking "that's a good argument" then "Whoa, is this person an idiot?" and then back again.

Makelele

Reaction score
I wonder why it's +10 degrees C in the middle of December in Finland if there's no global warming, and why are the summers so much warmer than they were before? Why are the hurricanes getting more powerful if there's no climate change? I bet it's the wrath of God, or alternatively the decreasing number of pirates that causes these things.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I wonder why it's +10 degrees C in the middle of December in Finland if there's no global warming, and why are the summers so much warmer than they were before? Why are the hurricanes getting more powerful if there's no climate change? I bet it's the wrath of God, or alternatively the decreasing number of pirates that causes these things.

It's gotta be the pirates' fault.

Briggs

7-string noob
Reaction score
global warming is propaganda...we can barely predict the local weather, let alone the global climate... Chalk it up to mankind's pridefull arrogance and stupidity.:lol:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
The idea that mankind can destroy the environment for life on earth is absolutely preposterous. Arrogance of the highest degree.

The idea that mankind can change the environment in such a way that life for us is difficult or impossible is totally plausible. We're on the way right now.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I want that coffee mug. :agreed:

Makelele

Reaction score
The idea that mankind can destroy the environment for life on earth is absolutely preposterous. Arrogance of the highest degree.

The idea that mankind can change the environment in such a way that life for us is difficult or impossible is totally plausible. We're on the way right now.

That's what I think too. Life on earth has survived worse disasters than humankind, but it's completely possible for us to take out ourselves, and a large part of the "more evolved" species.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps. Our nuclear weapons could sure as heck take a good crack at it. I've read that a full-scale war (certainly more unlikely nowadays than 20 years ago) could have consequences not seen since the KT Event. That killed off all land animals larger than a cat.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
I don't think we're the ones going to hell when it comes to Global Warming. At least, not as much as our kids, who are the ones who'll have to deal with this first-hand. People simply have too much of a live-now, worry-later attitude. Oh, and the whole belief in a rapture and whatnot amongst a large portion of the country isn't helping, either.

Very sad.

Although for some reason, climate change is having a positive effect where I live :scratch: I live in the Southwest desert in the U.S., and yet this summer was the wettest summer we've ever had. It rained like crazy every other day (and I'm not exaggerating, either). The desert literally turned green. Vegetation growing all over the place :eek: It was also unusually cool--even though I live in the desert, we only had to turn on our air conditioner for 3-4 days this entire summer :bowdown:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
global warming is propaganda...we can barely predict the local weather, let alone the global climate... Chalk it up to mankind's pridefull arrogance and stupidity.:lol:

Uh, saying that "Global Warming", i.e. the overall temperature of the earth's atmosphere is rising, is propaganda is ridiculous. The global temperature *is* rising. The cause of the rise is what's disputed. The fact that it's been generally trending upwards since (at least) the 19th century isn't.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Climate change linked to global warming can have some very positive effects.

The issue is, these effects are VERY unpredictable, and really show a system in a state of rapid flux. The biggest problem with global warming is at what point will the system stabilize again?

The history of human civilization for the last 10,000 years or so has been predicated on a nearly constant climatic state, which has been the dominant model since the last ice age. What happens when a constant like that changes? Growing patterns? Temperature? Sea levels? Ice sheets?

Global warming could ironically lead to another ice age. It's kind of all up in the air, since conditions liek this are nearly unprecedented.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Global warming = longer bikini season.

I'll happily die young if it's T&A the whole way there.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score

That's funny. I just did a Academic Search Premier search for peer reviewed journals on the subject of Global Warming being propaganda. Funny. Nothing turned up. :scratch: In fact, all I saw from the scientific journals was that 1) global warming is real, and that b) humans are likely driving it (C02 emissions being the biggest culprit).

The science is out there, and easy to find.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
The history of human civilization for the last 10,000 years or so has been predicated on a nearly constant climatic state, which has been the dominant model since the last ice age. What happens when a constant like that changes? Growing patterns? Temperature? Sea levels? Ice sheets?

how constant is constant? ice core samples are about as good as we can get, and they only work for local temperatures where the ice is located. i'm of the camp that thinks this could be a more interesting subject if there were more evidence, more data, less wacko's running around like chickens without heads!

Briggs

7-string noob
Reaction score
Uh, saying that "Global Warming", i.e. the overall temperature of the earth's atmosphere is rising, is propaganda is ridiculous. The global temperature *is* rising. The cause of the rise is what's disputed. The fact that it's been generally trending upwards since (at least) the 19th century isn't.

Propaganda, it is.

As ridiculous as it sounds, lobbyists and legislators use this "global warming" coined phrase to sign into law (ie: california greenhouse bill [Schwarzenegger]), rules applied to something mankind can't control. Then, when global cooling happens, they all wasted california taxpayers time and dollars.

ref: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/27/tech/main2042162.shtml

and: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/27/AR2006092700174.html

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Propaganda, it is.

Some politicians might use this as a lever, but saying global warming is propaganda is just stupid.
That's 2 different things.

People simply have too much of a live-now, worry-later attitude.

The core of the problem imo. Some will pay the price for the lazyness of others (a big part of them being big-ass corporations).

We might joke and all about it (if everyone on earth doesn't have a quick brutal wake up call, that's all that's gonna be left to do).
I try to do my efforts on a small scale:
i recycle lots of stuff
i try not to throw 10 garbage bags per week out there
i bought the less gas consuming car i can afford
i walk whenever i can
i don't heat my house when it shouldn't be, i turn off lights, etc.

But you know what?
I see both my neighbors who are doin' just the opposite and it just makes me very angry. We all need to put a BIG effort. Otherwise, it's an already lost battle.

Honestly, this whole thing makes me very sad.
We're just stupid (who think they're smart) bugs on a giant rock.
That's all we'll ever have and still, we're unconsciously throwing it to garbage. We've just found the limit to out smart-asses ways and life is gonna take the means to put us back where we belong.

')