Why you prefer lower tunings over E standard?

• Thread starter Georgeclooney5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For me I don't mind listening to hard rock and Metal songs in standard tuning but the moment I try to learn them I don't like how my distorted tones sound. So for some reason tuning half step down, personally, sounds better. Learning Jazz, country or other genres is not a problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
For me it doesn't really matter. Some songs only work with low tunings and others with normal tuning.
IMO the advantage of standard tuning or Eb is that it makes guitars really easy to set up and play. Like 10-46 on my PRS SE tuned in Eb standard it doesn't get any better in terms of comfort.
But as you tune lower and use thicker strings you start to run into intonation problems, too floppy, thicker strings sound dead quicker, etc.
With a 7 or 8 string you get the best of both worlds..

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
standard tuning for daily noodling
Drop C for chugga chugga boom boom.
Open D for shits and giggles

tunings don’t really impact my experience but with that said, I hate drop D. Just awful.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i have some in E and some in B. I play differently in B.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Eb is fun to play in. Lately I have been playing in D Standard and I like that as a middle ground between E standard and truly lowwww tunings. It's lower than E but doesn't start to blend too much with the bass.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Anyone remember what the band Conan is tuning their instruments do? I feel like it was E... but down a whole octave.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The FEEL. And the sound. One whole step down is the best for me. I like thicker strings but softer feel, love the lower frequency response and that I can get an even wider spectrum out of my 7s / the higher registers feel more usable to me when the strings are pitched down.

Dayn

Reaction score
I prefer standard, but since i have more than 6 strings that doesn't really mean much.

I do have guitars in other tunings. Mostly for fun and the differences in sound. After a lifetime of my Strandberg being in standard tuning, dropping it a full step made it sound and feel a lot better to play. I don't know why.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Open C because Strapping Young Lad. All hail the new flesh, baby.

I spent a solid 5 years with my only guitar in Open C/B playing nothing but Devin/SYL stuff. Hell yeah man.

These days though (aside from unique tunings like Open C), I find standard E with the lightest strings possible feels and sounds the best for what I want.

sneerim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s about feel for me. I usually prefer standard or drop D, but sometimes riffs or songs just call for different keys or registers. Something that slams in a low tuning might sound anemic in standard, for example.

I keep guitars in a bunch of tunings. Most are in standard (6 and 7), a couple in D standard, one in Eb, one in open C for when I get on a Devin Townsend kick, and I have a multiscale 7 on the way which will be kept in A standard/drop G.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
D standard is my preferred for metal, on 25.5" scale. Little bit more oomf, sounds good for me, and strings have the right feel to it.

I recently tuned a guitar to C standard, and having fun actually playing most riffs as F standard on the 5th string, and dipping down to C for the br00tz.

E standard is great all around, Eb for a looser feel. C# I don't use so much. Drop tunings are fun but I don't regularly keep anything in those tunings.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tuning down doesn't necessarily mean heavier, unless we talk about absurdly low tunings in sludge etc.. Riffs in E-standard can sound as brutal as C or B - it's more about the composition. I believe, that I don't have to bring out any examples, we all know them already..

Personally, a big fan of drop C/C#. There is something special about chugging the open strings in that tuning which gives me the good vibeys. Very metalcore as some might say :hbang:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just prefer drop tunings in terms of playing. I like the chord shapes better. A lot of that might have to do with a lot of the bands I really got into played in Eb or Drop tunings, usually D-B growing up. Drop A when you include stuff like Korn or Slipknot. So my ear just is in tune with that more. But there's plenty of older rock n roll that I like that's in standard as well. For me personally I like 6 strings in Drop C# to Drop B the most.

')