Widening the tuning peg to fit heavier gauges

Reaction score
So recently I've gotten an Ibanez RG9QM and wanted to increase the string gauge of the 9th string on the guitar. Best option seems to drill though I was wondering:

1) Although it is a relatively simple mod would it be better to take it to somebody to do?

2) What size drill bits would be around the ballpark to try and fit in the tuner?

3) Any precautions we need to be wary about if we tried to do it ourselves?

4) Would unwinding the string actually be better idea for fitting the string in?

Again although drilling/unwinding are simple things to do, doing mods of any type seems daunting haha.
Thanks in advanced guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sandwichamwin

Reaction score
I've drilled out the tuner on a RG7420 because I wanted a low G. Piece of cake, just get a drill bit just bigger than the string and you'll be sweet. The longest part of the process for me was finding my damn drill, should only take a few seconds.

At the end of the day, the high end Ibby's use Gotoh tuners which are about $10 a pop, so just replace it if you F*** up :)

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
1. If your unsure, you should always take it to someone. However, this is a simple job, you should be fine. Just pay attention and take your time.

2. Any bit bigger than the current hole size will do. Like the above comment, easily replacable and fairly cheap if ya screw it up.

3. Eye protection!!!!!! Nothing hurts worse than metal shards in your eye.

4. I would not unwind the string. I have tried it a few times with no luck. I feel as though the extra winding helps with breakage and slippage. (This is my opinion, from my experiances!!!)

82DMC12

Reaction score
Personally I would get/borrow a drill bit set and choose a pretty small bit. Put it into the tuner hole. Does it fit? Try the next one up.

When you find a bit that won't go in (barely won't go in - make sure your set is complete and has all the normal small sizes) put it in the drill, and run it through one time - in and back out once without letting the drill stop. Now check to see if the string you want to use will fit into the peg.

If not, try the next size bit and run it through once. Check the string again.

This method would reduce the chance you over-drill the hole, weakening the peg. It's also very easy to make a hole bigger when you are only running in the next size up. Skip too many sizes and you might jam the bit, since it is metal we are talking about.

n4t

Reaction score
5/32 got me to .082 so you might have to go slight bigger than that.

Cover your pickups so the filings don't get fouled up in there. Pain to get them out. (aaaah hindsight.)

Unwind the string? Nah. Drill once, good forever.

myrtorp

Jiggywiggy
Reaction score
I was in the same position as you not long ago, I did some reading here, and felt reassured. We have a dremel and I found a drill head just a bit bigger than the hole. I did not wear eye protection but i realize I should have. The drilling sound was quite loud and high pitched so you could just put some ear protection on too!

It went very smooth!

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
another option if youre iffy about using a drill is needle files. i did that with my iron label 8. a bit more labor intensive but another good way to go

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
another option if youre iffy about using a drill is needle files. i did that with my iron label 8. a bit more labor intensive but another good way to go

This is by far the safest and most accurate way. Insert on one side and twist until the string fits, then repeat on the other side. Takes about 10 minutes.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I've always used a very small bit and just got the drill running fast then rubbed it against the edges :) Seems much safer to me that way. Unwinding strings seems annoying when drilling is so easy

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I recently drilled out a tuner to 5/64" which is .078". I just did some math and figured out a drill bit size juuuust bigger than the largest gauge I'll be using (a 74 in this case) and drilled it out. It's a simple procedure, just make sure you have the tuner secure and drill STRAIGHT through or else you could blow out the side or create a weird angle.

')