Will adjustments need to be made when changing string size?

• Thread starter Djenty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djenty

Reaction score
I'm switching from really light strings to heavy strings (12-56) and I was wondering if I'll need to adjust anything since the strings are bigger?

I'm sorry, no, I don't have a trem. My guitar is Ibanez Rg120. And what exactly do you mean by checking the 12th fret vs the nat. harmonic? What am I looking for there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
I'm switching from really light strings to heavy strings (12-56) and I was wondering if I'll need to adjust anything since the strings are bigger?

Is it a trem or a hardtail?

If it is a trem then yes you will have to adjust the spring tension and maybe a few other things.

If its a hardtail then probably not. You can always check. Look down the fretboard to make sure it doesn't look bowed check your intonation at the 12 fret by checking the natural harmonic there vs the fretted note. If things are out of whack then you will need to adjust your bridge a little bit. Some guitars are just more fussy than others. Thats why I use hardtails almost exclusively...:spock:

Also pending on how your nut was set you may have to sand it down a bit to get the strings to fit, but you will be able to tell whenever you put the strings on if that will be necessary.

Erick Kroenen

Reaction score
using the normal tuning and heavier strings i guess you will have to adjust the truss rod

Demonbrn

Reaction score
also, depending on the size jump, it may be necessary to change the nut. But if it's only a single gauge or two, spring tension (for tremelo) and possible truss tension are a must (there are many tutorials out there to determine if the truss needs adjusting, but my advice would be take it in to have an expert do it).

And don't forget to oil your fretboard and polish those frets ;)

Djenty

Reaction score
also, depending on the size jump, it may be necessary to change the nut. But if it's only a single gauge or two, spring tension (for tremelo) and possible truss tension are a must (there are many tutorials out there to determine if the truss needs adjusting, but my advice would be take it in to have an expert do it).

And don't forget to oil your fretboard and polish those frets ;)

I was probably just going to take it in since I need my new bridge pickup installed. I'm just worried about how much I'll be charged -_-
Maybe I can get my Gpa to pay since It's my b-day soon MUAHAHA.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Yes. Even on a hardtail. With those thicker strings you will need to raise your action a bit or suffer from fret buzz. The strings have to have enough room to vibrate.

Tomo009

Reaction score
I've not changed anything with a hard tail and have had no intonation or bowing issues.

EDIT: Or fret buzz after the strings have been in for a few hours.

flint757

Reaction score
I've not changed anything with a hard tail and have had no intonation or bowing issues.

EDIT: Or fret buzz after the strings have been in for a few hours.

This

Every guitar is different mine was basically the same as yours when I switched didn't have to change anything which is why in my post all I adviced him to was just check and make sure and if he hears a problem fix it as it comes. Guitars with no trems are a breeze to setup anyways. The hardest part IMO would probably be figuring out which way and how much to turn the truss rod if that for whatever reason was an issue. If you have trem though you will have to adjust a lot of shit.

Djenty

Reaction score
This

Every guitar is different mine was basically the same as yours when I switched didn't have to change anything which is why in my post all I adviced him to was just check and make sure and if he hears a problem fix it as it comes. Guitars with no trems are a breeze to setup anyways. The hardest part IMO would probably be figuring out which way and how much to turn the truss rod if that for whatever reason was an issue. If you have trem though you will have to adjust a lot of shit.

Sorry I'm kinda a newbie at setup, how do you raise the action? Is it something to do with the bridge? I've been playing for 3 years and don't know this shit LOL

flint757

Reaction score
Sorry I'm kinda a newbie at setup, how do you raise the action? Is it something to do with the bridge? I've been playing for 3 years and don't know this shit LOL

Okay given this incite don't touch your truss rod at all. Mistakes can be detrimental.

Action is just the height of your strings. If you have a TOM bridge then you just turn the thumb wheel at each end of the bridge. If you have a strat style you have to lift each saddle individually with an allen wrench. For floyd you do the same, but at the pivot point on the bridge. The general idea is to go as low as possible without having fret buzz at any fret on the guitar so you just basically play a note on each fret, if you hear noise that sounds like it is hitting a fret in front of it you raise it a little bit. Overall fairly simple. If you like your strings higher on the fretboard then it probably won't be a problem. You should only bother with this if your hearing fret buzz or want your strings lowered. If you do end up adjusting this you will definitely have to reintonate your guitar.

How I do it is play open, 12th fret and then natural harmic on the 12th fret. Using a tuner if it is flat you adjust the saddle closer to the nut. If it is sharp you adjust it away from the nut and not by much just small increments and always retune or it will obviously be wrong. With a floyd this is undoubtedly more complicated, but there are probably youtube vids you could check out on that. I have a floyd guitar and I suck at setting it up.

If you need anymore advice or questions just ask, always glad to lend a hand when I can.

Here are a couple of websites that might help a little bit for you.

Action | Guitar Columns @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

How to Intonate a Guitar - wikiHow

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
Just to say, if you do every adjust your truss, a quarter turn is MAX. Going above that can damage your neck, which is a very large problem if it's not bolt on.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Just to say, if you do every adjust your truss, a quarter turn is MAX. Going above that can damage your neck, which is a very large problem if it's not bolt on.

This is not exactly true, but is a good rule to follow if you don't know what you are doing. 1/4 turn max increments , check, wait a few minutes maybe (some necks are slow, others are not), rinse repeat until desired outcome. Never force the rod (some rods are however harder to turn than others, and it has nothing to do with neck position, more likely slip ups during construction).

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Serisously, if you've never done any setup, go to a shop, pay for one and look at what the guy does.

FarBeyondMetal

Reaction score
Serisously, if you've never done any setup, go to a shop, pay for one and look at what the guy does.
When I got some new pups installed, i wanted to watch the guy install them...he said I would have to pay $100 to watch and "help"...fuck that noise:mad:

')