Wintersun

• Thread starter Omerta989
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
Now that I've had the album for a bit and listened to it on good speakers I don't understand why some are complaining about the mix or think the mix isn't good. I guess everyone is used to super compressed albums through their earbuds? The dynamics that are allowed to breathe in the mix are great, something lost on most modern recordings that merely try and be as loud as possible.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Repner

Reaction score
Now that I've had the album for a bit and listened to it on good speakers I don't understand why some are complaining about the mix or think the mix isn't good. I guess everyone is used to super compressed albums through their earbuds? The dynamics that are allowed to breathe in the mix are great, something lost on most modern recordings that merely try and be as loud as possible.
My theory is that some of them might be playing it a bit too loud. This album needs to be brought down a bit so the instruments have the dynamic range to breathe a bit. Its surprising just how much clearer everything becomes.

Dan

Reaction score
It also amazes me how some bands can have scores of pages of people saying how excellent the 0-00-0000-0-00 low G. music and songwriting is, yet a masterpiece like this is kind of left on the sidelines.

In my opinion this record is a LOT more progressive than most of the "progXdjentXcore" bands about now. It's been really well thought out and to be honest no-one is really touching on oriental melody and scales in western music at the moment. With each listen this album grows on me more and more.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Go and download Ubuntu by Kalter (it's free from bandcamp) they have quite a bit of influence from Wintersun but take a big progression from that, they use a lot of keys but the guitar is still the main instrument, for me that is the direction I wish Wintersun had taken.

Repner

Reaction score
It also amazes me how some bands can have scores of pages of people saying how excellent the 0-00-0000-0-00 low G. music and songwriting is, yet a masterpiece like this is kind of left on the sidelines.

In my opinion this record is a LOT more progressive than most of the "progXdjentXcore" bands about now. It's been really well thought out and to be honest no-one is really touching on oriental melody and scales in western music at the moment. With each listen this album grows on me more and more.
So true. I can listen to the occasional djent, but I'd rather take my influence from bands like this, Orphaned Land, Amaseffer, etc. Bands that aren't afraid to use whatever sounds and instruments that they think will aid the music. If I created something half as good as these bands, I'd be extremely happy.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
The singer for my band put this on in the car back from the studio last night. After about two and a half minutes of this, I immediately got out my phone and bought the whole damn thing.

Dat riff. Dem vocals. Damn, I'm impressed.

Stealth7

Reaction score
My digi-pack arrived today! :hbang:

I read somewhere on the net that they also released an instrumental version of the album.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Went to HMV to buy this - this is how it went down:

I walk in the store, I go to the New Releases wall and surprisingly, a store employee actually asks me "Can I help you find something?" That never happens. I respond, "Yeah I'm looking for the new Wintersun. It's metal. It came out last week... but you might already be sold out, because HMV only carries about 3 copies of what I usually want to buy." He says, "OK, let's check" and then we walk to the metal section, find where it would be on the shelf, and yep, they're all out. He offers to see if they have more on the way, and that they'll call me when they've arrived. I say "Will that include the special edition version of the album, with the DVD included?" "Oh, sorry, I guess not.." "It's OK, thanks. I'll buy it somewhere else."

I think that may have been the most unintentionally passive-aggresive I've ever been with an HMV employee.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I'm not digging it from the 2 live studio videos...

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
Not the best band i know , but Time I has its moments. Especially all the Bal-Sagoth-esque stuff in Sons of Winter and Stars

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Album of the year you say? No, this is possibly the greatest release of the decade! Jari has broken new ground with the compositions. I've listed to it many times already and I still cannot fully grasp the detail in this album. The mix is spectacular and the production is top notch! Time has some of the most incredible arrangements I've ever heard, and The Land of Snow and sorrow demonstrates one of the most incredible vocal performances and production I've ever heard. Masterpiece!

Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

kaaka

Reaction score
This album is soooo good. I just love the depth of the arrangements and the mix. The vocals are also amazing.

Jari really knows how to write and perform good metal. I can't wait til Time II

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I covered the guitar solo in Time if anyone's interested in checking it out. I'll make tabs soon. Still listening to this album everyday since the release.

')