Wintersun

• Thread starter Omerta989
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
I have listened time 1 once now and... well.. i don't know what to say about it. It's quite "full" so to say. It surely didn't blow my mind, but hey, it's fairly complex record and I'm going to let time pass (see what I did there, eh?) and listen it as much as I can, before judging. Actually the only feeling that time1 left was "I'm going to pop in the selftitled album and give it a spin once again!"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

Reaction score
Luckily got a chance to listen to a HD version of the album before Youtube took it down. My thoughts:

Speechless. Absolutely incredible. Seriously im in awe. WELL worth the wait.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
WOW. WOW. WOW.

Worth years of waiting? Every. Single. Fucking. Bit. Well done Jari, well done mate!

Repner

Reaction score
Just missed it. I usually try to avoid listening to any leaks until I have the album in my hands anyway.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Listened to 5 times now. Its amazing and was well worth the wait. Very short though but hey Time pt:2 will be along in a few years.

Is it just me or is the mix very "dynamic?", there are lots of volume changes and the orchestra hits really jump out. Maybe its just the rip but if not then its a pretty cool approach instead of having everything compressed to a fixed volume.

Disclaimer: I have pre-ordered the Nuclear Blast box set.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
I think this is way too short album.. I would have liked to hear the whole thing in one piece. And the mixing is really quite dynamic, but it better be, since there's hundreds of instrument tracks on each song and if the mix is off then the whole record is just one mushy wall of sound and with this kind of sensory-overload-blast-epic-music it would be catastrophic. I'm starting to like this a bit more with each listening.

Was it worth waiting all these years? Yes and no. Biggest disappointment is the fact that it's divided onto two albums and they're so far apart. Oh well.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to listen to the leak but I've waited eight years, I can wait another month or so.

Looking forward to this though.

Dan

Reaction score

Before it goes down again i've found another link. This track is quite possibly the best piece of music i have ever heard. Mindblowingly good.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
epic.

not saying that this isn't awesome right now, because it is, but 10 years ago I would have probably masturbated to this song.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Listened once, wasn't that impressed to be honest, far too much sparkly keys and too few solos. Still, hopefully it'll be a grower!

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Jari just posted this (Full Preview of the Album Wednesday, October 17):

Gnarly!

TIME I album streaming starting on WEDNESDAY, October 17

Dear Wintersun maniacs, fans, friends & supporters worldwide,

on Friday we will finally release our new album TIME I via Nuclear Blast. First and foremost, we wanna thank all of you for the incredibly amazing support throughout all these years!! I don´t think any other band has got as loyal fans as we do, THANKS!

Since we´d like to give you an exclusive first glimpse of the new songs we´ve decided to stream the WHOLE album on our homepage wintersun.fi | Official Website starting Wednesday, October 17 until the day of release.

We know it´s been awhile since the first album "Wintersun" and that´s why we´d like to give you the possibility to hear it first with good quality and then decide if you like the new songs, if you wanna stick around being a Wintersun fan and buy the album. We certainly hope so.

(Jari:) One thing that is really important to me and I´d like to say: Music is everything to me and to be able to continue making music and keep Wintersun alive in the future we need the support from all of you out there, directly or indirectly. We want to keep making albums with better and faster production. I have so much new stuff already written, but I just can´t continue working with the same conditions I had to make these TIME albums. It really was a struggle! (Well I can, but it will take then again a really long time!) It´s also important for me to give everyone the full experience of the album and not to release any upfront singles, since all the songs are very long and bound together. So take time for yourself to relax, sit down for 40 minutes, get a pair of good headphones or speakers so you can hear lot of the details and enjoy the whole journey!

Everyone decides themselves of course where you spend your hard-earned money. If you wanna have our new album, it should be through all official and legal channels. Wintersun (as well as other bands) will not be able to continue if there isn´t enough people buying the albums. As with everything else in life, vote with your wallets! That´s also a reason why we wanted you guys to hear the album upfront from us, the band.

Thanks for the attention, I and the guys hope you like the music as much as we do. Keep it up, thanks and see you soon!

Wintersun fans rule!

Jari, Jukka, Teemu & Kai

P.S. PLAY IT LOUD!!! :)

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
:lol:

Hard to please much?

The song is A# is heavyyyyyyy.

sorry, i listened to the WHOLE album once, it didn't blow me away but has quite a soft production so will need to give it a few spins, however first impression is too many layers, too much tinkly fluffy keys, not enough riffs or solos...as i said, hopefully it'll be a grower...

and it's well still available on the net ;-)

oh, and 3 proper songs is NOT an album...

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
oh, and 3 proper songs is NOT an album...
Om would beg to differ.

Anyway, first listen review:

I like the sound. It's epic all the way through and the vocals are really good however...

I really really miss all the technical guitar work. It worked so well in the flow of the first album. I'm not asking for a bunch of solos but like a couple of times where there would be some flashy guitar playing would have been appreciated. I love Jari as a composer but I also love him as a guitarist.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
This album is still growing on me. But it doesn't make the problems go away: it's still way too short (three actual songs, now that's a load of bull...) and I always get the feeling that this record came about four-five years too late. Part of it is actually my "fault", as I've grown up a bit (we all have, ofcourse.) since the selftitled and I personally don't stand in that point anymore that this kind of music would blow my mind away as did the previous record.

And I don't mean to implicate that I don't actually like this album, as I do, but for me it was not worth waiting for all these years, as my interests are now in something completely different and I'm quite sure this record will end up in my cd-shelf with all the early bodom, norther, kalmah, imperanon and so on records.. and the times that I actually pick one of these up and put in my player are coming more and more rare events of nostalgia and laughing at myself in a good way, thinking back my teenage years.

Oh well.. I have preordered the special set with t-shirt and a poster and something like that and I'm not going to cancel it, just because I want to see Jari and guys put out "the masterpiece" one day and simply blow new listeners minds with this stuff. "They will come into your earpussies!" (Free beer for the one that picks up my reference.)

Reaction score
Time is being released in 2 parts and the first actual song is 13 minutes. How can people be complaining lol.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
His Ensiferum roots really shine through on this album. I wish there were more guitar solos though, hopefully there is a Winter Madness style facemelter on Pt:2. I love all the synths and riffing.

I would really love to see this band get into gear and start releasing albums every 2 years. These songs were mostly wrote from 2004 onwards and the first album was wrote way before it was released so were not seeing what frame of mind they are currently at musically.

')