Wintersun's Groundhog's Day Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
Whenever I read this thread
7vss5x.jpg

You're an unstoppable force dude, you should consider a career in modern politics, if you're not doing so. You'll be a hit!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Wintersun is a good metal band but not some almighty fantastic band. Time to move on and let this fade into the obscurity that it deserves. Then and only then when it’s evident that most people don’t give a crap anymore, maybe, just maybe, some music will be produced.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
man, I've been reading this thread for around 3 months now, still haven't listened to any of Wintersun works, but as long-time fan of scam-core (Corelia), I'm envious that you guys can actually know that Jari is still alive :lol:
I quite like Time I. I discovered it through this thread actually. Now I stay for the hilarity of certain users in this thread.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Whenever I read this threadView attachment 129108

You're an unstoppable force dude, you should consider a career in modern politics, if you're not doing so. You'll be a hit!

That picture reminds me more of misinformation amount this thread usually has. Endless amounts, just like a black hole would have. I would point out few things from latest posts here, but I don't even bother.

Metropolis

Reaction score
@Metropolis
Is your new avatar a portrait of how you imagine Jari will look when the next Wintersun album is realised? (i.e. old)

I don't think he looks old there. It's from the forest package, photoshop where moss and stone is merged into his face.

And yes, you can't have my great points just as you can't have any new Wintersun albums :lol:

This is old, and probably at when Time II will be released... in 35 years 🙃

jari_in_2050s.jpg

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
As some other user mentioned, he didn't release any music since Forest Seasons. He only has his patreon, his day job/part time job and that's it. The guitars he had over the last years cost thousand over thousands. Not to mention other guitar related gear like amps, cabs, effects, whatnot. I can't stress enough that there is no chance in hell that he bought all of that out of his own pocket. His patreon, day job and some royalties maybe from Ensiferum or whatever simply are not enough on top of a high cost of living because Finland.

Well, to be fair, I could easily afford those guitars out of pocket if I didn't have a family to feed. And AFAIK he doesn't.
But then I also don't know what his day job is. Someone mentioned the post office, and there he certainly won't earn anything near what I earn (I'm a senior/lead software developer), but if he has a higher paying job, he could theoretically have bought them out of pocket.

I'm not saying I think that's the case, but it's possible. I'm an optimist, so as long as there's even a theoretical chance that he turns things around somehow, I'll take those odds. Simply because everything he actually has put out has been excellent IMO.
But until he does, he's a fraud in my book.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
But then I also don't know what his day job is. Someone mentioned the post office, and there he certainly won't earn anything near what I earn (I'm a senior/lead software developer), but if he has a higher paying job, he could theoretically have bought them out of pocket.
I think it's a fair assumption that anyone who has been in the music game in (a) prominent band(s) from a young age probably doesn't have the education or experience in a lucrative field to command a high salary as there just wouldn't be time for it on the way up. Hell, I know it's not Finland, but I don't personally know anyone who earns over £30-35k (family, friends etc.) and these are people who have gained workplace experience since leaving school and, in some cases, have some further educational background. The UK does have piss poor salaries, mind.

Jari reminds me of Ted Beneke.
I love that comparison, for some reason I feel like I've made it myself already!

Money concerns aside I do think I can empathise with the guy. He had a strong start in Ensiferum and, with the release of Time I, a good footing with Wintersun, so the future looked bright. Add to that the fans who act like he is the second coming and you have a recipe for what I guess you could call something like "misunderstood genius syndrome." There's an episode of American Dad where Roger the alien is commissioned to write a jingle for a small business and, well, if you've seen it you'll know!

I've made similar justifications to myself before i.e. if I just had a couple of great guitars, or amps, or a better audio interface, or better monitors etc. I'd be golden, but ultimately if you can't produce on mid-level gear then all the toys in the world won't help you. As someone who suffers greatly with ASD/ADHD I can't say I would have accomplished much more than him, even with the backing/finances/support etc. to indulge in these gear fetishes.

I'd still listen to Time II if it came out, but truth be told I barely listen to music at all anymore let alone super intricate layered bombastic epic symphonic metal.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I think it's a fair assumption that anyone who has been in the music game in (a) prominent band(s) from a young age probably doesn't have the education or experience in a lucrative field to command a high salary as there just wouldn't be time for it on the way up. Hell, I know it's not Finland, but I don't personally know anyone who earns over £30-35k (family, friends etc.) and these are people who have gained workplace experience since leaving school and, in some cases, have some further educational background. The UK does have piss poor salaries, mind.

Sure, but given it's been 6 years since he's released anything of any significance, he could have for example studied and graduated as an engineer or something else that pays better (studying is also free in Finland, no tuition fees and stuff like that). I'm not assuming he did, but he has had all the TIME™ in the world to do so :lol:

j3ps3

Reaction score
Sure, but given it's been 6 years since he's released anything of any significance, he could have for example studied and graduated as an engineer or something else that pays better (studying is also free in Finland, no tuition fees and stuff like that). I'm not assuming he did, but he has had all the TIME™ in the world to do so :lol:
Yeah because Jari is a productive person and all

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Yeah because Jari is a productive person and all

Yeah. I don't even know why I'm coming up with these options that 99.9% certainly didn't happen TBH :lol: The cold and boring truth is that he's just delusional - there's still a chance he'll release something awesome someday, but he'll never admit that the same thing could've been achieved much quicker and for less money if he had just paid professionals to do the stuff he can't...

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
(studying is also free in Finland, no tuition fees and stuff like that). I'm not assuming he did, but he has had all the TIME™ in the world to do so :lol:
Fuck, so much envy haha! I only wish there was a field I was interested in that could have provided a better career, truth is I don't really take interest in anything with money making potential.

Considering a crowdfund lol

Metropolis

Reaction score
Oh no, there is no future and Jari should have done entirely something else than music :lol: So it would guarantee that those albums he's making would be never released.

Median salary in Finland is around 3200€ per month, or 38 400€ in a year plus benefits. Though taxation of that is going to be quite mad after you earn about 4-5k€ a month. Education is almost free and they don't leave you to massive debts in hospital if something happens.

Basically for Jari to keep all the income from crowdfunding and his other sources of income he has to be quite nifty with the money. You can buy things a do touring here and there, but that's about it. Or invest into making albums. At his postition you just don't even think to suddenly becoming an engineer in IT-field for example.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Fuck, so much envy haha! I only wish there was a field I was interested in that could have provided a better career, truth is I don't really take interest in anything with money making potential.

Considering a crowdfund lol
We're guitarists. None of us are interested in "making" money.

')