Wintersun's Groundhog's Day Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I swear to god. Every once in a while I come and check into this thread. To this day, I haven't got a single clue about what's being discussed here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
In the corporate world "leaving to spend more time with my family" is synonymous with getting fired.

Kiko seemed like a great fit so slightly concerned. I did find it slightly awkward they kept bringing Marty to a few shows... probably a weird situation for Kiko.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I still haven't watched Groundhog Day because I don't want to pay for another streaming service right now.
Groundhog Day is a movie that must be physically owned. Multiple copies. Because there's zero excuse for not watching it over and over and over and over...................

WHOAH! My aggression is out of control today!

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
While I understand your pov, it really is up to you to not take it negatively. Context is everything and should be considered as such.

I sometimes interpret multiple periods as such as well, but you bet your sweet ass I’ll use it when necessary to prove a point, especially at work..

The thing is, I still don't know if the dude meant Teemu being in Megadeth is a good or a bad thing because of the double period and that's what I initally wanted to know. If he would have just used one period then it would have been just a clear statement that he's in Medadeth now, period. Not good or bad.

But anyway, back to topic. Watched some vids and Teemu is killing it. It would be a really dick move from Dave to kick Kiko out but with Dave you never really know...

brector

Reaction score
I still haven't watched Groundhog Day because I don't want to pay for another streaming service right now.
Only movie I have walked out of in the theater. Guess I might have to sit down with it again

gnoll

Reaction score
Only movie I have walked out of in the theater. Guess I might have to sit down with it again

I remember seeing it and not liking it at all... It was just the same thing over and over again... Boring...

neurosis

Reaction score
Kiko went back to Finland to help with the kids. The official note sounded like it's an emergency. Hope everybody is healthy.
Teemu is from Finland, a player of the highest caliber and available so it makes sense he would be a contact Kiko put forward to cover for him.
I wouldn't read too much into it.
I was actually looking around the forum to see if anybody also thought Dave Mustaine has about the best luck with his session/band hires. The guy literally picks up the best of the best at any given moment and the show just goes on. His ability to land especially exceptional guitar players who top each other with every new hire is just crazy to me.

j3ps3

Reaction score
Kiko went back to Finland to help with the kids. The official note sounded like it's an emergency. Hope everybody is healthy.
Teemu is from Finland, a player of the highest caliber and available so it makes sense he would be a contact Kiko put forward to cover for him.
I wouldn't read too much into it.
I was actually looking around the forum to see if anybody also thought Dave Mustaine has about the best luck with his session/band hires. The guy literally picks up the best of the best at any given moment and the show just goes on. His ability to land especially exceptional guitar players who top each other with every new hire is just crazy to me.
Imo nobody has topped Marty yet, though.

Oh, I meant ".."

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
The thing is, I still don't know if the dude meant Teemu being in Megadeth is a good or a bad thing because of the double period and that's what I initally wanted to know. If he would have just used one period then it would have been just a clear statement that he's in Medadeth now, period. Not good or bad.

But anyway, back to topic. Watched some vids and Teemu is killing it. It would be a really dick move from Dave to kick Kiko out but with Dave you never really know...

My dude nailed that Tornado of Souls solo.

Still though, Brandon's version will always be my favorite. I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers with this, but not even Marty plays it this tight now. Obviously age difference is a factor.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Is the Kiko stuff being discussed anywhere else on the forum? Not that I'm worried about this thread veering off-topic at this point.

This is just speculation on my part, but I can't see how Kiko's statement that he was stepping away from the tour to be with his family was anything other than the truth. His kids are 12, 7 and 7 and they just moved to Finland in 2020, so while it probably isn't the full picture of what's going on, him being away so often could be causing issues for his family. No chance he was fired given his fit with the band and Dave's seeming love for him.

Likewise, while Teemu is a great player in his own right, it's obvious why Kiko would've nominated him as a temporary replacement. Kiko's wife is a Finnish musician and she and Kiko would've been in the same circles as Teemu (Kiko and his wife both played in Tarja's band, formerly of Nightwish). It's like Frederik Thordendal hiring Per Nilsson to replace him in Meshuggah. It just makes logistical sense to have a friend step in and do it, especially if they've learned the songs ahead of time as a contingency plan.

Colour me surprised by all this, though. I reckon Dave rides this out and keeps Kiko in the band, provided this is a temporary issue and not something Kiko needs to step away from the band permanently to sort out.

My dude nailed that Tornado of Souls solo.

Still though, Brandon's version will always be my favorite. I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers with this, but not even Marty plays it this tight now. Obviously age difference is a factor.

Ellis is a beast. I doubt Mustaine would spring for him, though. He's too young and his only 'big gig' has been with Black Dahlia Murder. The same could be said of Teemu, but Kiko nominated him, not Dave.

Does anyone know if Loomis ever ruled out a Megadeth gig? It'd be too good for Dave to pass up if Kiko leaves. Loomis is the right age, is an industry veteran with major touring experience, and has a lot of buzz around him as a Megadeth replacement due to his audition decades ago. Those things seem to matter for Dave, especially the experience.

Then again, I don't know how Loomis is in Arch Enemy anymore. Seemed to me he had one foot out of the band a few years ago when they refused to let him write songs for new albums. I'd assume he'd spring for Megadeth given the chance, but that's speculation.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Ellis is a beast. I doubt Mustaine would spring for him, though. He's too young and his only 'big gig' has been with Black Dahlia Murder. The same could be said of Teemu, but Kiko nominated him, not Dave.

If memory serves me correctly I think Brandon filled in with Exodus as well. Not that I think he's even on Dave's radar. I do think he would fit well though just because Brandon already has a background with thrashy style stuff.

More mindblowing to me is how Dave manages to consistently get super talented players like that. No disrespect to the Megadeth material, because I do enjoy it, but a decent amount of the players he's had for the last few albums have been pretty overqualified for the band. Sure, it could be argued that for their time Megadeth wrote some pretty challenging music but I think the genre has evolved a lot since then.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly I think Brandon filled in with Exodus as well. Not that I think he's even on Dave's radar. I do think he would fit well though just because Brandon already has a background with thrashy style stuff.

More mindblowing to me is how Dave manages to consistently get super talented players like that. No disrespect to the Megadeth material, because I do enjoy it, but a decent amount of the players he's had for the last few albums have been pretty overqualified for the band. Sure, it could be argued that for their time Megadeth wrote some pretty challenging music but I think the genre has evolved a lot since then.

I'd guess that it's a money thing first and foremost, then a pedigree thing, given Megadeth's history of hiring top notch lead guitarists.

Megadeth has to be the biggest ticket gig in metal for lead players, no? You're not subbing in for Metallica. Bands like Judas Priest or Ozzy Osbourne have had some turnover, but not as much as Megadeth. Most of the tentpole acts are not as active as Megadeth these days, either.

I have no idea what Dave Mustaine pays. Its just that most other bands hiring a lead guitar player are playing to small crowds and paying peanuts by comparison. Even if they aren't bringing home millions, it's a lot of money by industry standards.

Also, while I don't want to oversell the prestige part, being able to put your stamp on one of metal's biggest legacy bands would be incredible, especially if you play on an album.

Last edited:
')