Wintersun's Groundhog's Day Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I didn't know there even were disc drives that don't read CD's
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think CD vs. bluray lazers are a bit different? So in order to read both, you need two distinct lazers. I think. I could be very wrong.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think CD vs. bluray lazers are a bit different? So in order to read both, you need two distinct lazers. I think. I could be very wrong.

I guess, yeah. I just never thought about it. The name literally says it, the actual color of the lazer is different.
So I guess Sony's consoles don't play DVD's either since PS4? That could theoretically suck (personally I don't care, I just download whatever isn't available to stream...)

According to Wikipedia Xboxes still read CD's though, maybe it's a remnant of the xbox360 using Dual Layer DVD's when the ps3 already switched to bluray...

Last edited:

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score

Much better.

The PS4/PS5 can play DVD. I remember pulling out my copy of Muse's Live at Rome Olympic Stadium and the DVD worked on my PS5 whereas the CD couldn't be recognized.

I had this issue with my PS5 the other night with some of my old concert DVDs actually. It kept telling me the region code was incorrect and when I checked the DVD cases it was region code 0 (works in all regions) but for some reason this meant not on my ps5

')