[wip]Opeth - Deliverance cover \m/

• Thread starter axxessdenied
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
*bump* would really love some feedback. been working hard on this epic song.

Pretty happy with the rhythm guitar tone.
lead tone needs work, any suggestions on that? (solo are still a bit sloppy, working on that ;)).

This is my first time mixing a song and would appreciate any guidance! I want to turn this into a really solid recording :metal:

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
No offense man, but if you're going to start with something... this is not the way to start.

I love me some Opeth!

But there is so much going in their mixes that it's hard to get a handle fundamentals of what you should be doing.

And to be perfectly honest, it sounds like it's a bit beyond your abilities to play. You're not getting the groove or feel of the guitar parts.

Start WAY simpler!

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
No offense man, but if you're going to start with something... this is not the way to start.

I love me some Opeth!

But there is so much going in their mixes that it's hard to get a handle fundamentals of what you should be doing.

And to be perfectly honest, it sounds like it's a bit beyond your abilities to play. You're not getting the groove or feel of the guitar parts.

Start WAY simpler!

Thanks for the honest critique. Yeah, the song is beyond my playing... part of the reason I chose it. Wanted something that would provide a bit of challenge. I'm still working on it and practicing it. Every day I play the song I make large improvements in my playing so I'm going to keep plugging away at it until it sounds acceptable :lol:

As for the mix. I don't want to necessarily emulate Opeth's mix 100%. Would just like it to sound good overall! Thanks for taking the time to listen :)

I work a lot on the weekends so I won't get a chance to work on the recording until next week. I think you will find that when I consider this finished my playing will be a lot tighter!! <3

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
The song might be easier if you played it in the real (slower) tempo. This is really fast.

And KingAenarion is right about this being a way too active song to mix as your first work. And the point wasn't that you should get a mix that's even close to Opeth's, but more like the song has so much variety and different tones and timbres and whatnot that it's simply start off with a more straight forward song.

It's really good for a first mix though, mine was 1000 times worse... Keep it up! You'll never get better if you don't practice!

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
The song might be easier if you played it in the real (slower) tempo. This is really fast.

And KingAenarion is right about this being a way too active song to mix as your first work. And the point wasn't that you should get a mix that's even close to Opeth's, but more like the song has so much variety and different tones and timbres and whatnot that it's simply start off with a more straight forward song.

It's really good for a first mix though, mine was 1000 times worse... Keep it up! You'll never get better if you don't practice!

awesome, thanks for clarifying that! i guess i'll just focus on practicing the song some more so i can re-track and tighten it up and just make everything come together as well as I can with my ear! :hbang:

Yeah, I plan on dropping the original MP3 into my DAW and fixing up the timing. I just grabbed the guitar pro file and started recording over the drums from that and haven't modified them much yet. I'm starting to become relaxed while I play the more intense parts of this song, so I still feel like I have it in me to really take the song up another notch :)

edit: thanks for mentioning the tempo being off. figured it out, set the track to 192 bpm from 197 and seems to work. Should be a bit easier to record as well. :metal:

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
My 2 british pennies:

1. Too fast, or at least it sounds like it - compare to the original track.
2. Sloppy playing in parts, needs a little practice - all sorts of problems here; timing, feel, rhythmic placement - slow down and build up the parts individually.
3. Poor tone choice in places - 1.42 is an example - distorted part should be just a little bit overdriven, not full on distorted. Also needs a big delay. Pay more attention to the tones on the track and what effects are being applied.

On the good side:

The tones that you do have aren't bad, it's a pretty sweet rhyhtm tone. If this is your first mix, that's realy quite commendable, most people really struggle with their first recording tones. Quite a lot of the rhythm playing is pretty decent as well, but the lead needs some serious work. The drums don't sound too bad but the bass is quiet.

Another problem most guitarists come across is that when they start recording is that they can't program drums for shit. I was going to complement you on your good drum programming, but I see you've got the drums from a GP file. Not a bad plan! (I do it all the time for covers....) But just be wary of that slip up when you come to program your own - most guitarists don't pay enough attention to the drums and it sounds pretty amateurish.

In terms of how you should mix these drums - experiment with compression and EQing to really bring out the best in the instruments. The whole kit is quiet compared to your lead tone. Against the rhythm tone it isn't too bad, but the bass drum almost isn't there. What you could do possibly lower the lead to sit better with the rest of the mix, then bring up the master volume to get a louder mix. This may need some mastering to ensure it doesn't clip.

Hope that helps! :)

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
My 2 british pennies:

1. Too fast, or at least it sounds like it - compare to the original track.
2. Sloppy playing in parts, needs a little practice - all sorts of problems here; timing, feel, rhythmic placement - slow down and build up the parts individually.
3. Poor tone choice in places - 1.42 is an example - distorted part should be just a little bit overdriven, not full on distorted. Also needs a big delay. Pay more attention to the tones on the track and what effects are being applied.

On the good side:

The tones that you do have aren't bad, it's a pretty sweet rhyhtm tone. If this is your first mix, that's realy quite commendable, most people really struggle with their first recording tones. Quite a lot of the rhythm playing is pretty decent as well, but the lead needs some serious work. The drums don't sound too bad but the bass is quiet.

Another problem most guitarists come across is that when they start recording is that they can't program drums for shit. I was going to complement you on your good drum programming, but I see you've got the drums from a GP file. Not a bad plan! (I do it all the time for covers....) But just be wary of that slip up when you come to program your own - most guitarists don't pay enough attention to the drums and it sounds pretty amateurish.

In terms of how you should mix these drums - experiment with compression and EQing to really bring out the best in the instruments. The whole kit is quiet compared to your lead tone. Against the rhythm tone it isn't too bad, but the bass drum almost isn't there. What you could do possibly lower the lead to sit better with the rest of the mix, then bring up the master volume to get a louder mix. This may need some mastering to ensure it doesn't clip.

Hope that helps! :)
Thanks! Yes, I did have the track too fast. The drums from the GP that I snagged the drums were set to 197 BPM... I've dropped it to 185 bpm and am overlaying the midi over the original song and fixing all the timing issues. the drums from the gp file are a good start and just need to be tweaked and have ghost notes filled in. I'm going to re-track once I get these drums sorted out! Thanks for all the help!! :D Should be able to tighten it up quite a bit more with the tempo a bit lower!

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
opeth - deliverance (wip) by axxessdenied on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Don't know if anyone would care to listen again but I re-tracked the guitars after I fixed the tempo of the drums. They aren't 100% accurate but pretty close to the studio album. Need to do more tweaking to them. Still need to work on it in general but it sounds quite a bit better. also tweaked the tone patches a bit... the clean one sounds like poop :lol:

Major improvement I think with the help of your input!