Wiring Help(Universe Pickup Switch VLX53)

• Thread starter Elysian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
can't find any schematics on ibanez.com for this switch, so i have no clue how i'm supposed to wire this thing up... its from my 99 UV777BK, and i'm putting it in my RGT42(2 humbuckers, Duncan Distortion bridge and Duncan Jazz neck), does anyone have any idea how i should wire this up? i'm having no luck searching either... or, if anyone has a pic of the wiring in their universe that would help a ton too...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
no one eh? its an 8 pole 5 way switch, and i tried wiring it up like an RG520/620, but had no luck at all with that. i'm certain the switch works, as i just pulled it out of my universe, and if i had been smart i would have taken a picture of it before i pulled it out, but i didn't, and now i'm screwed... and i've been told that it never even came stock on the universes, but i'm honestly not sure about that answer, as it looked completely oem and at home inside my guitar, the solder joints were too perfect imo...

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
maybe i should just buy a dimarzio switch and call it good lol...

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Elysian said:
not a single link on that page works

My apologies, I thought they did. Maybe if you looked at Dimarzio & Seymore Duncan's sites they'll still have the diagrams, just in a different place.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
My apologies, I thought they did. Maybe if you looked at Dimarzio & Seymore Duncan's sites they'll still have the diagrams, just in a different place.
none that are even remotely applicable to this switch...

Freddie

aka zEr0
Reaction score
Is this the switch you are talking about?

4faa136d.jpg

This is from a 1527 but those wires are from 2 DiMarzio's.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
nope, definately different... pulled these pics of it off another site... unfortunately that site didn't help me in my quest...
vlx54.jpg

vlx53_vlx54.jpg

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
It's actually a 2-pole switch. The contact layout is the same as a Strat switch, ie. each pole has a common contact, then 3 'position' contacts. The UV's have one pole doing the pickup selection, so each pickup's output goes to it's respective 'position' while the common contact is the output and goes to the volume pot. The other pole controls single coil switching for the humbuckers to give the strat-like sounds in pos's 2 and 4. The middle 'position' contact is connected to earth, with the black and white wires of each DiMarzio humbucker connected to 1 and 3. Common is ignored.

Lemme try find a diagram....

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, well I'm a dickwad and didn't read your first post properly. So two humbuckers, eh. What do you want to achieve with the switching? It's pretty limited what you can do with 2 HB's and this switch.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
well, itd be nice to be able to coil tap, and then combine the 2 for the middle spot... although i don't normally really use that stuff heh... really the nicest thing would be to have no dead spots in the switch... i think that jem 777 diagram might be just what i'm looking for, it makes a bit more sense to me given the pickups i'm using...

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The JEM wiring with two HB's will give you a dead middle position. So you'd get Neck HB - Neck HB (single coil mode) - nothing - Bridge HB (single coil mode) - Bridge HB.

The only other way to wire it is like a Tele switch which would give you Neck HB - Neck HB - Both HB - Bridge HB - Bridge HB. No single coil switching.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i'll give that jem 777 wiring a try tomorrow, maybe i can find a way to make it not dead spot on the middle... we'll see... if it even works i'll be happy, i haven't played my neck through rg in forever, and its got new pups i haven't even gotten a chance to try yet

Latest posts

')