Wiring superswitch as killswitch?

• Thread starter Devon8822
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Devon8822

Reaction score
Hey I have a wiring mod I want to do but I am stuck as to how to proceed. I'd like to basically hookup my 2 humbuckers so that they go to a stereo output jack, this would allow me to switch between pickups. Thats easy enough by itself, I would just send one pickup to the tip and the other to the sleeve of the jack. However, I would also like to have a killswitch without any visible modification to my Ibanez Jem. I'd like to have a super switch (pup selector switch) and have the pickup on position by what would normally be the bridge/down position, and all the other positions to be "killswitched" positions. I'd like to keep the two humbucker signals separate from each other throughout the guitar wiring. Any help would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Racerdeth

Reaction score
What he said. The superswitch is a great switch because of how easy and simple it makes stuff!

If you're asking what I think you're asking though you could just get away with a DPDT toggle.....

Devon8822

Reaction score
I could do it with a DPDT, but I dont want to ad any switches to the guitar. I was hoping for some more in depth help than just grounding the signals, I am pretty weak with wiring, and I really dont know which tabs and wires to connect. Can anybody give me a more detailed explanation? Thanks

Racerdeth

Reaction score
On the superswitch you only need two of the banks.

3200_01terminalmap.gif

Hook pole 2 up to your tip, pole 4 to your ring, then connect the hot wire of each pickup to the 1 contact of each of the poles, connect 2,3,4,5 of those to the ground. Bit of a waste of a superswitch but it'll do the job!

Swap 5 for 1 if the switch is the wrong way around.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I would say wire 5 3 and 1 for sound, 2 and 4 for kill, then you could do some serious machine gun barrage.

Devon8822

Reaction score
Would this also be possible with a normal 5 way switch? How would I wire that?

Racerdeth

Reaction score
Ah yes, you could! Didn't think about that. A standard 5 way generally is like the top line of the superswitch.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah yes, you could! Didn't think about that. A standard 5 way generally is like the top line of the superswitch.

No, it isn't. A 5 way, generally has 3 terminals and a common, just like a 3 way switch, but the notch positions (2 and 4) connect 1-2 and 2-3 respectively.

')