Wisconsin Dems Walk Out

• Thread starter Jango
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Similar story here. Country in the shitter economically so cuts are made. Everyone complains about the cuts, displaying an acute lack of understanding.

Of course, our public sector is actually larger than our private. Oh well.

Jango

Reaction score
Frankly, I don't know what most of the bill says. However, I find it unacceptable that they're taking out collective bargaining. If they want to send the bill through again without the removal of collective bargaining, I'll research it and go from there. But trying to take away the power of unions, especially teacher's unions, is just wrong to me.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Not unlike our past Congress.

What's this referencing? I haven't seen much of anything rushed through congress without getting fucked up so much to please everyone that it ends up being a useless heap of shit that wastes time and (our) money.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
@Randy:
FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES FOX LIES
:mega:

ddtonfire

Reaction score
What's this referencing? I haven't seen much of anything rushed through congress without getting fucked up so much to please everyone that it ends up being a useless heap of shit that wastes time and (our) money.

The 2,000-page bill that was attempted to be pushed through in the lame duck session this December.

unitas

Reaction score
AFAIK, the bill makes union government employees pay 5.8% into their pension plans (non-union already pay 6.3%), and 12.6% of their health insurance premiums, both of which are about half as much as private, non-government workers pay.

It's also helpful to know that these union government workers make 17% more money than non-union government workers, and 25% more than non-government workers.

And like others have said, you can't keep spending more than you take in. And this bill is bringing benefits cost into line with the rest of the workforce, which is hardly 'slashing' pay. I'm sorry but boo-hoo. At least the governor is merely making them pay what others already have to pay instead of laying them off altogether.

pink freud

Reaction score
To be fair, they could have been talking about a photo-shoot...

[/strawspulledatrandom]

ddtonfire

Reaction score
And the Indiana official was being figurative, too! :cool:
But hey, at least he got terminated... in the dismissal sense. :yesway:

ElDuderino

Reaction score
AFAIK, the bill makes union government employees pay 5.8% into their pension plans (non-union already pay 6.3%), and 12.6% of their health insurance premiums, both of which are about half as much as private, non-government workers pay.

It's also helpful to know that these union government workers make 17% more money than non-union government workers, and 25% more than non-government workers.

And like others have said, you can't keep spending more than you take in. And this bill is bringing benefits cost into line with the rest of the workforce, which is hardly 'slashing' pay. I'm sorry but boo-hoo. At least the governor is merely making them pay what others already have to pay instead of laying them off altogether.

This bill has nothing to do with making up the deficit. This is such an egregious display of cronyism it is sickening. It is about busting unions and providing no-bid contracts to his right-wing billionaire supporters the Koch's.

Wisconsin was on pace to have a budget surplus in 2011 of $120 million. Then Scott Walker got elected and turned the projected surplus into a deficit most directly by slashing corporate taxes. 60% of companies in Wisconsin that earn more than $100 million annually will pay zero taxes, yet Scott Walker's solution is to cut benefits to teachers making $30,000. This is just asinine to me.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
This bill has nothing to do with making up the deficit. This is such an egregious display of cronyism it is sickening. It is about busting unions and providing no-bid contracts to his right-wing billionaire supporters the Koch's.

Wisconsin was on pace to have a budget surplus in 2011 of $120 million. Then Scott Walker got elected and turned the projected surplus into a deficit most directly by slashing corporate taxes. 60% of companies in Wisconsin that earn more than $100 million annually will pay zero taxes, yet Scott Walker's solution is to cut benefits to teachers making $30,000. This is just asinine to me.

so making GOVERNMENT unions require their own GOVERNMENT workers to pay into their own retirement is asinine? the reason you want their collective bargaining taken away is because without that piece removed from the board there is no way you could get a teachers union (or any public union) to agree to anything. the private unions in WI dont like how the public unions are acting in this manner. hell FDR was an opponent of public unions, and he is the most famed union president. what you see is the result of spoiled people protesting because they have to cut back in bad economy. boo-freaking-hoo

this isn't a move for Koch, the reason you are seeing the protests you are seeing is because state governments are now taking shots against the BIGGEST constituencies of the Democratic party, big unions. thats why the DNC supporters are busing supporters in from other states. this should be no surprise considering walker campaigned on this

and on the topic of projected surpluses http://politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2011/feb/18/rachel-maddow/rachel-maddow-says-wisconsin-track-have-budget-sur/
listening to Rachel Maddow still IMO has yet to yield any positive results. there was indeed a projected deficit. besides, how could have walker created a deficit from the surplus without having finalized his own budget yet?

btw lower corporate taxes equal corporate expansion which equates to more income tax revenue. its been proven to work before and is currently the only reason Texas isn't red lining.

normally i dont like posting in this section, but the reason i felt the need is because public unions are crushing my state economically, the sooner these leaches get ousted in other states the sooner mine can get their collective rears in gear and get led by example

^ this x1000000

ElDuderino

Reaction score
so making GOVERNMENT unions require their own GOVERNMENT workers to pay into their own retirement is asinine? the reason you want their collective bargaining taken away is because without that piece removed from the board there is no way you could get a teachers union (or any public union) to agree to anything. the private unions in WI dont like how the public unions are acting in this manner. hell FDR was an opponent of public unions, and he is the most famed union president. what you see is the result of spoiled people protesting because they have to cut back in bad economy. boo-freaking-hoo

this isn't a move for Koch, the reason you are seeing the protests you are seeing is because state governments are now taking shots against the BIGGEST constituencies of the Democratic party, big unions. thats why the DNC supporters are busing supporters in from other states. this should be no surprise considering walker campaigned on this

and on the topic of projected surpluses PolitiFact Wisconsin | Rachel Maddow says Wisconsin is on track to have a budget surplus this year
listening to Rachel Maddow still IMO has yet to yield any positive results. there was indeed a projected deficit. besides, how could have walker created a deficit from the surplus without having finalized his own budget yet?

btw lower corporate taxes equal corporate expansion which equates to more income tax revenue. its been proven to work before and is currently the only reason Texas isn't red lining.

normally i dont like posting in this section, but the reason i felt the need is because public unions are crushing my state economically, the sooner these leaches get ousted in other states the sooner mine can get their collective rears in gear and get led by example

^ this x1000000

I guess you are less cynical than I am, but when two energy industry billionaires donate hundreds of thousands to elect Scott Walker, then he in turn tries to pass a bill allowing for the privatization of public power plants without taking bids, it seems a little corrupt. Throw in the fact that he has a 20 minute conversation discussing strategy with a person he believes to be one of them and you still believe they have no vested interest in all of this?

Also, I never said making them pay more into their pensions and healthcare was asinine. The workers themselves agreed to it, they just don't want their collective bargaining rights stripped, which is what this is really all about. What is asinine is claiming that doing so is necessary to fix the budget problem when there are much better options. Fixing the budget doesn't seem to be the primary goal here.

How about throwing out tax incentives for hiring instead of giving tax cuts, which would better address the unemployment problem and in turn increase income tax revenues. Give incentives for investment and expansion. Simply providing tax cuts to corporations doesn't guarantee anything, they could take the money and invest out of state or overseas.

Latest posts

')