With NAMM Looming, Nick Seeks Your Advice and Feedback!

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    namm 2010
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
Hey Nick, I understand the current model of the shop w/ high-end boutique gear, but what do you see as the future of the AxePalace? Are you going to eventually carry Basses and amps? Hardware? Diversify the guitar line with the likes of Tyler, Thorn, Collings, Trussart, and amps like Headstrong, Dr. Z, Swart...etc? Hollowbody's? Eastman and Peerless seem to be really growing in popularity in the jazz crowd. I know all that is down the road, but just curious because I think the answers to those questions would taylor my list of stuff to check out differently.

For stuff that would fit in with the current line up...
Amps;
Basson Sound - Sold through GC, MF, and SamAsh, but they are Vader-not-Vader style cabs. Worth a look see. Garry Goodman plays through their bass cabs so they can probably handle quite a frequency range.
Bogner
Custom Audio Amplification/Suhr (I see you've got them under the FX section, but dont have any amps).
Diamond Amplification - Tied in with Dean Zalinsky who is a chooch if youve ever talked to him in person...But worth a look.
Fuchs Audio Technology - Viper is the high gain head.
Koch - Supernova is a 5 channel Clean, Crunch, Gain, High Gain, Ultra Gain...I'm curious! :eek:
Since you've got Parker and Washburn USA, are you going to cover Randall then as well?
Soldano
Splawn
THD

I didnt say Conford because I've read from another retailer that the MK50 II's are hit and miss from the manufacturer. And same with reliability with Egnater.

Pedals;
Fulltone
Keeley
Xotic

Guitars;
Brian Moore
I dont think you're interested with Fender as a company, or want to start carrying / competing with prices on brands that GC and their online shops sell, but the new Charvels are pretty rad.
Heritage - If you want to carry a Gibson style line, but not deal with them, this is the way to go.
Suhr

Pickups;
APC Pickups
Jason Lollar - These dont really fit the shop so far, but he makes a low wind 7 string pickup that has my attention.
CAA/Suhr again.

Hardware;
Ever thought about becoming an All-Parts dealer just to get Tremol-No's? You could add on an installation service.
Sperzel - I love em' and they come in a bazillion rad colours too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daiephir

likes peanut butter
Reaction score
I'd add:

Amps
Actually nothing to say here, you already have Diezel and others already mentionned Bogner, Soldano and ENGL.

Pedals

Maybe T-Rex (the Bloody Mary is eyeing me, I'll need to buy one one day)

Guitars

- Dean Guitars ( :lol: )
- ESP/LTD

Pickups

- Q-Tuners
- Seymour Duncan
- Any other pickup brand? (Kent Armstrong maybe or Schaller?)

Hardware

- Sperzel
- Hipshot
- Kalher
- Schaller
- Gotoh
- Q-Parts (definatelly)
- Graphtech
- Grover

Cables

- Your own brand of home made ones?
- Monster

Also, dont forget to take lots and lots o' pics at NAMM

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
First off I'd like to thank both of you for such thoughtful, thorough posts. This kind of thing is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread, so thanks :)

Now on to the responses..

Hey Nick, I understand the current model of the shop w/ high-end boutique gear, but what do you see as the future of the AxePalace? Are you going to eventually carry Basses and amps? Hardware? Diversify the guitar line with the likes of Tyler, Thorn, Collings, Trussart, and amps like Headstrong, Dr. Z, Swart...etc? Hollowbody's? Eastman and Peerless seem to be really growing in popularity in the jazz crowd. I know all that is down the road, but just curious because I think the answers to those questions would taylor my list of stuff to check out differently.

The future is open ended really. I'm open to expanding my horizons and carrying all sorts of diverse things. My only rule is that it be nice, I don't want to be associated with anything junky. That doesn't mean everything I carry has to be $2000+, if something is inexpensive yet nice I'll give it a shot. I did that with the high-end Fernandes guitars and it didn't work out so well, no one cared, but I'd try again.

Yes I plan on carrying bass guitars and amps. Some of the companies I work with now make basses, such as Vigier, Bernie Rico, Caparison, G&L, Parker, and so on. Diezel is introducing a bass amp soon as well which should be crazy. But yes, eventually I will carry bass specific lines, but it's silly for me to do that now at this stage. I need to concentrate on what I know best for the time being and expand as I go.

As for diversifying the guitar line up, I feel like I've already done that actually. However after the brands I plan on bringing at the NAMM show are announced I think that'll become even more clear :)

For stuff that would fit in with the current line up...
Amps;
Basson Sound - Sold through GC, MF, and SamAsh, but they are Vader-not-Vader style cabs. Worth a look see. Garry Goodman plays through their bass cabs so they can probably handle quite a frequency range.
Bogner
Custom Audio Amplification/Suhr (I see you've got them under the FX section, but dont have any amps).
Diamond Amplification - Tied in with Dean Zalinsky who is a chooch if youve ever talked to him in person...But worth a look.
Fuchs Audio Technology - Viper is the high gain head.
Koch - Supernova is a 5 channel Clean, Crunch, Gain, High Gain, Ultra Gain...I'm curious! :eek:
Since you've got Parker and Washburn USA, are you going to cover Randall then as well?
Soldano
Splawn
THD

I didnt say Conford because I've read from another retailer that the MK50 II's are hit and miss from the manufacturer. And same with reliability with Egnater.

Thanks for all that. I've never considered Fuchs before but I'll check them out. Most of the others I already have on my radar. I didn't know that about Cornford either, thanks for the heads up!

Yes as a Parker/Washburn USA dealer I could get Randalls too. I will at some point they're very low on my list of priorities. I have my eyes on some other amp brands for the immediate/near future :)

Pedals;
Fulltone
Keeley
Xotic

Second time I've been recommended Xotic. I added them to my favorite list on my iphone NAMM app ;)

Guitars;
Brian Moore
I dont think you're interested with Fender as a company, or want to start carrying / competing with prices on brands that GC and their online shops sell, but the new Charvels are pretty rad.
Heritage - If you want to carry a Gibson style line, but not deal with them, this is the way to go.
Suhr

Brian Moore and Suhr are two I'd check out. Charvel is cool but yeah, I have no desire to deal with Fender right now. Also, I'm proud of the G&L stuff I've been getting in and that sort of covers the Charvel/Fender territory you know?

Heritage? Hmm... interesting, something that probably wouldn't be a bad idea but I'd have to educate myself on them way more. I honestly don't know much about them yet.

Pickups;
APC Pickups
Jason Lollar - These dont really fit the shop so far, but he makes a low wind 7 string pickup that has my attention.
CAA/Suhr again.

Definitely interested in some of those. Bare Knuckle makes low output 7-string pickups too by the way, so I have that covered somewhat. I'm open minded though!

Hardware;
Ever thought about becoming an All-Parts dealer just to get Tremol-No's? You could add on an installation service.
Sperzel - I love em' and they come in a bazillion rad colours too.

Yep I'll be a Sperzel dealer soon. They've been on my radar for a while. I can get Tremol-Nos already sort of but maybe.

I'd add:

Amps
Actually nothing to say here, you already have Diezel and others already mentionned Bogner, Soldano and ENGL.

Yep, all those I plan on carrying sooner rather than later. In some cases perhaps as early as next week.

Guitars

- Dean Guitars ( :lol: )
- ESP/LTD

I'd love to be an ESP dealer, I've always liked the ESP/LTDs I've owned. As for Dean, I think I'll pass.

Pickups

- Q-Tuners
- Seymour Duncan
- Any other pickup brand? (Kent Armstrong maybe or Schaller?)

Definitely will be picking up Seymour Duncan eventually. Q-Tuners...really not sure. I'd have to play them some more and see if it's something I can get behind.

Hardware

- Sperzel
- Hipshot
- Kalher
- Schaller
- Gotoh
- Q-Parts (definatelly)
- Graphtech
- Grover

Some of those I'll definitely be hooking up with, but in general the "accessories" market is not my thing. In due time though...

Also, dont forget to take lots and lots o' pics at NAMM

Of course! I don't know if you saw my 2009 edition but this one will be even more epic :)

Daiephir

likes peanut butter
Reaction score
Epicness is always good! I'm gonna find youre '09 thread and read it trought.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I actually did post some of the Parkers I ordered on my website last week. There's going to be some huge Parker news/changes coming next week, so stay tuned.

Thanks for the Dragonfly tidbit, I really had no idea people dug those. After the new models are revealed, let me know which ones tickle your fancy :)

Pretty much all of em :lol: The one im mainly interested in is the prototype that had the floyd on it. Either that or Adam D's model in a non signature model form. The bolt on ones are good but not sure im into those. Then again i love everything Parker :D Now if they only made a 7 (and 8 string :D) string Dragonfly...:shred::shred::shred::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i still think if you carry the brands you do you should also carry ENGL it would make a very complete high end line up in your shop

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i still think if you carry the brands you do you should also carry ENGL it would make a very complete high end line up in your shop

Working on it. I have a meeting scheduled with ENGL that they solicited, so we'll see if we can come to an agreement.

I leave tomorrow. Very excited yet so burnt out; I had a million things to do today at the shop and at home to prepare.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
dude i'm gunna be glued to my comp at the end of each day waiting for pics and adventures of epicness

\m/

THEY solicited eh, looks like they may be interested in your store and what it aims to do, sweet

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
dude i'm gunna be glued to my comp at the end of each day waiting for pics and adventures of epicness

\m/

THEY solicited eh, looks like they may be interested in your store and what it aims to do, sweet

You'd think so. Either that or they just want to tell me to fuck off to my face for ragging on the Powerball so many times haha. I do dig the Invader, Savage, and some of their models though so I'd be down for being a dealer.

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
Wizard Amplification
Elmwood Amps

Not exactly sure I would say they're ideal for metal, but they have a great sound.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wizard Amplification
Elmwood Amps

Not exactly sure I would say they're ideal for metal, but they have a great sound.

Elmwood isn't exhibiting this year, but I met them last year. Great amps. I didn't try Wizard yet. BTW I'm all for things that sound great, even if they're not good for metal.

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. :yesway:

Is Komet Amplification showing? I would be curious to hear your opinion of their amps.

Also would suggest Roccaforte if it hasn't been mentioned and if they're showing. Edit* nevermind. according to their website, they are factory direct now.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool. :yesway:

Is Komet Amplification showing? I would be curious to hear your opinion of their amps.

Also would suggest Roccaforte if it hasn't been mentioned and if they're showing. Edit* nevermind. according to their website, they are factory direct now.

I've never heard of Komet or Roccaforte. I must be really out of the loop these days. I'll try and scope them out if they're exhibiting. Thanks!

I'd like to see ENGL as well. I've got the GAS really bad:lol:

Cool.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Nick, baby, how about Cool Picks? I have no idea if they'll be at NAMM but I'm hooked on what I think are the Cool Phat Cats, very similar shape to the Dunlop XL but with better grip and better sounding attack IMO. Cool Music INC

')