With your help

• Thread starter RHEX-7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RHEX-7

Reaction score
The guitar and bass sound good in the no-fx-at-all version. IMO, if they sound good, leave them alone. Don't add compression or effects just to say that you did- just make corrections where needed. I'd say your starting point might be making the drums stand out again. The kick drum in particular is inaudible in my headphones. It's worth noting that your guitar and bass are very loud for a track that's supposedly uncompressed. I'd recommend turning them down while you mix, and turn your speakers/monitors/headphones up to compensate until you're at a point where you can start mastering. It doesn't have to be loud while you mix.

would you recommend re-recording them at a lower input level? ill rerecord them on sunday and see if it helps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
would you recommend re-recording them at a lower input level? ill rerecord them on sunday and see if it helps.

Do you mean the guitars? Why would you do that? I'll reiterate- if they sound good already, leave them alone. There's zero benefit to recording at a lower input level unless you've clipped the input when you recorded originally. It's very possible that whatever you've used for a guitar sound is very compressed sounding to begin with, that's all I meant to say. If you think the guitars are too loud, use the volume slider, don't re-record them. :lol:

RHEX-7

Reaction score
Do you mean the guitars? Why would you do that? I'll reiterate- if they sound good already, leave them alone. There's zero benefit to recording at a lower input level unless you've clipped the input when you recorded originally. It's very possible that whatever you've used for a guitar sound is very compressed sounding to begin with, that's all I meant to say. If you think the guitars are too loud, use the volume slider, don't re-record them. :lol:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/aliveaftersunrise/drums-2[/SC]

heres a newer mix. ive already adjusted the snare and kick in the latest mix.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Personally, I still prefer the sound of the guitars in the no-fx-at-all version. The mixed version is much darker, and the lack of high end in the guitars makes them sound less 'detailed'.

RHEX-7

Reaction score
Personally, I still prefer the sound of the guitars in the no-fx-at-all version. The mixed version is much darker, and the lack of high end in the guitars makes them sound less 'detailed'.

theres no eq or fx at all on the guitars in the newest mix. because of what you said. lol thats why theres so much lower end in that mix is because of the guitars low end with the bass and kick. i left the guitars alone and just processed the drums. does the mix sound better than the older mixes?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Listen to the no-fx-at-all version you posted, then immediately listen to the most recent post. The guitars sound different. Maybe it's not something applied directly to the guitar tracks, but something along the lines is having an effect on your guitars. Maybe you have something on your master that's scooping out parts of the whole mix.

RHEX-7

Reaction score
theres no effex on the master track. im not sure why honestly. i hear what your saying though. no clue as to how it sounds like it does.

col

blah.
Reaction score
It's late here so I can't listen very loud, but I'd say the vocals need a bit more de-essing, the esses and p's come really sharp.

pkgitar

Reaction score
How are you EQing guitar and bass in these new mixes?

A good idea when doing stereo vocals is to have less high end/more de-essing. T's, P's and S's that are not 100% on time if panned hard left and right will make it easier to notice imperfections in timing. Your performance in this regard is pretty good though! Just do some (more) de-essing, like col is saying, if you haven't.

It also sounds like you are slamming the limiter really hard since your snare is just dead, almost gone.

How about uploading only a mix, without any master limiting and EQ/compression?

Something tells me it would be easy to crank your speakers when mixing this. Don't. Keep it low volume. When you feel like your mix is getting somewhere you can check for a few seconds, but turn it down again after.

RHEX-7

Reaction score
How are you EQing guitar and bass in these new mixes?

A good idea when doing stereo vocals is to have less high end/more de-essing. T's, P's and S's that are not 100% on time if panned hard left and right will make it easier to notice imperfections in timing. Your performance in this regard is pretty good though! Just do some (more) de-essing, like col is saying, if you haven't.

It also sounds like you are slamming the limiter really hard since your snare is just dead, almost gone.

How about uploading only a mix, without any master limiting and EQ/compression?

Something tells me it would be easy to crank your speakers when mixing this. Don't. Keep it low volume. When you feel like your mix is getting somewhere you can check for a few seconds, but turn it down again after.

theres on of those uploaded, somewhere on this thread. page 2 i believe. no fx/eq at all on it. i just had the snare and kick turned down. i already raised their levels to balance better with everything else. ill add more de essing now

')