Woods and tone?

• Thread starter rob_707
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
hey guys im not sure if theres anything on this or not i searched for it and i didnt see to much.
I am just curious, is there any websites or links or info ANYONE knows, as to what woods do what tones. EG, bubingas good for bass. bla bla bla.
im trying to get a idea as to what type of wood i want to get my custom guitar made with.

I do have wood already milled at my house called Honey locust which is hear in canada and im gonna make a guitar out of that just to see how it goes, pluss it looks pretty sick. but there isnt any information on it that i could find, this is just extra to my above question.

Mods if this has already been asked jsut close it or move it if its in the wrong secton. still getting used to this forum. thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RationalEntropy

Reaction score
Though this may or may not be useful there is this link: http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm .

As for Honey Locust, I only know that it has some HUGE thorns and that is "pretty metal" to some, and that it is "durable" by many accounts. Anyhow, how dense is it? Generally the denser and harder means the brighter the tone. Unfortunately, that is about as well as I can do for right now.

Good luck.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
Though this may or may not be useful there is this link: http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm .

As for Honey Locust, I only know that it has some HUGE thorns and that is "pretty metal" to some, and that it is "durable" by many accounts. Anyhow, how dense is it? Generally the denser and harder means the brighter the tone. Unfortunately, that is about as well as I can do for right now.

Good luck.
well the site is pretty cool man but it really only tells you what it looks like and not soo much as it sounds.
LOL honey locust CAN have huge ass thorns this one i cut down myself and it was a hybrid called sunburst
as for density im not really to sure, if you take a good hunk of it and hit something like pavment with it, it rattles the shit outa your hand dont know if this helps. im gonna take some pictures of the wood when this bull shit snow melts.

b7string

Reaction score
I agree with the above statements, that the effect of wood is often exaggerated, and in some cases I'm quite convinced that people are imagining differences which are almost inaudible to human perception... but I am sure it does make a difference, and those 2 sites should give a good starting point. As for honey locust, never heard of it but I would use it just because it has such an awesome name! :shred:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with the above statements, that the effect of wood is often exaggerated, and in some cases I'm quite convinced that people are imagining differences which are almost inaudible to human perception... but I am sure it does make a difference, and those 2 sites should give a good starting point. As for honey locust, never heard of it but I would use it just because it has such an awesome name! :shred:

I am pretty much in agreement with you B7, the differences are definitely imparted/imagined/exagerrated. I do find wood effects the feel, and how it will vibrate in your hands though, and the importance of that is not to be overlooked.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
The time I would be most concerned with the sonic qualities of a wood would be in a neckthrough construction. It seems to me that one continuous, often homogeneous material would impart an inherit quality of the wood to the vibration of the strings much more effectively than two separate areas (body and neck) on their own. I could be wrong about that, though. Not to say that the other construction types don't impart qualities, but I'd think a single material would vibrate better.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This has been talked about a bazillion times :lol:

search "tonewood" in the seven string section.

That said I've never seen honey locust mentioned anywhere as a "tonewood" so it'll be interesting to see how the guitar sounds, post a thread about the build :yesway:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')