Working on our first model

• Thread starter StringPluckery
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StringPluckery

Reaction score
Haha. Right. That's part of why we're not trying to rush into it. The competition is stiff so we want to be able to repeatably nail every aspect of the process before releasing anything. I also might end up overseas for a few years here soon, so we might have no choice but to continue to practice the craft.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Any constructive criticism or feedback would be hugely appreciated.
I suggest not having the tuners projecting beyond the edge of the body:

* Less chance of damage from being knocked.

* Less chance of being knocked out of tune.

* No chance of contact with thigh when in a no-strap high-angle classical playing position:
Contact seems a little uncomfortable.
Contact might put the tuners out of tune. Even if this is unlikely due to tuner stiffness, just the thought of this possibly happening would be an uncomfortable concern.

It bothers me that most headless designs have projecting tuners.
I really miss that back thigh cutout on all my other guitars now. You'll want to make sure you don't put the output jack in the middle of it.
Adding to this ... Depending on playing position, the thigh can be at any position along the rear of the body (anywhere from the back thigh cutout to the tuner area). So it seems to me the jack should not be anywhere along the rear. The Strandberg jack position has the lead going straight into your leg for one playing position, not good.

So those are 2 ways you can distinguish yourself from the many Strandberg clones :lol:

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
The only thing I find off-putting is the control layout, attempting a volume swell with that top knob would not be a thing. but that's just me.

StringPluckery

Reaction score
I like the idea of the tuners not projecting out past the body. The headless guitars I own all do that. I've not had tuning stability issues with it, but it's has always bothered me that I rest them on my thigh and they're just secured with those tiny screws.

I don't dig the Strandberg jack placement. While it's neat looking, it makes using 90 degree plugs pretty uncomfortable. I'm struggling to find good placement, that allows the use of 90 degree and straight plugs and also doesn't look bad with the core of this design.

Last edited:

StringPluckery

Reaction score
The only thing I find off-putting is the control layout, attempting a volume swell with that top knob would not be a thing. but that's just me.
Don't take this as dismissive as it's purely inquisitive. What about the placement would prevent a volume swell.l? It's just about inline with the bridge, which plenty of guitars do. Too close to the bridge? Too far forward? Or something else that may have been overlooked?

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Don't take this as dismissive as it's purely inquisitive. What about the placement would prevent a volume swell.l? It's just about inline with the bridge, which plenty of guitars do. Too close to the bridge? Too far forward? Or something else that may have been overlooked?
It's mostly the vertical layout that makes them a bit tight, I'm sure it's fine if it doesn't require constant adjusting lol

Have you considered the same layout in a horizontal pattern?

StringPluckery

Reaction score
IMG_20230514_182903740_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230517_212843021.jpg
IMG_20230520_134652519.jpg
IMG_20230520_152641489.jpg

Black limba bodies. Swamp ash and quilted maple tops. I'm really digging the ebony grain filler in the black limba,

StringPluckery

Reaction score
IMG_20230517_155626914.jpg

This is how far the first 0.023" end mill got into the ebony fretboard. This is the first time I've broken one (and two and three) of these fret slot end mills, but I've only slotted ebony boards by hand in the past. I got through 1 3/4 boards before snapping the third going at 24k rpm, 60 ipm, 1/2 diameter doc.

StringPluckery

Reaction score
IMG_20230523_205517506.jpg
IMG_20230523_210230408.jpg

No sanding on the neck yet. I promise that is glue squeeze out from the fretboard glue up and not boogers...probably. Super thin neck. I have other profiles modeled. I'm 6'6" tall. I can get the pinky on my monster sized mit comfortably on the 24th fret without hitting the lower horn, not throwing up gang signs to reach over the body, and I can keep my thumb behind my middle finger with room to spare before any part of my hand touches the heel or body.

This is where we're at right now. Lot's of little things that will be tweaked in the process for the next iteration. What's good? What's not good? Tear it apart, guys.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised. I did not expect you to come out the gate swinging so fast. Nice work! That India ink look is super cool.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Headless guitars have certainly taken the world by a storm.

')