Working on our first model

• Thread starter StringPluckery
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
These look fantastic! Any movement on a potential ballpark price range? Are we talking $1500-$2500? $2500-$3500?
Are you making these yourself? Or subcontracted out to an existing builder? Apologies if this has already been answered, I read the thread when it first surfaced, then re-read it again today.

Also a question just for my own projects really:
Using India ink, if you're aiming for jet black, is it possible to apply to much? Will it be blotchy/patchy if you're not careful or can you apply it until the wood takes no more?
What sort of finish are you planning on top of that? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StringPluckery

Reaction score
Thanks, JimF. We're still trying to land wholesale accounts with certain hardware companies. The pickup companies won't respond after we give them the info they ask for. I can only assume they're wanting to work with someone who's putting out a lot more volume or reselling. A model specced similar to this black one will likely be around $2300. It's just two of us making them ourselves.

If you look back at the first photo I posted with the India ink applied you can see where I got some splotching that had to be fixed. It looked similar to how you get a burnished area if you rub in dye over the same area too much. That was my first time using it, other than testing on scraps. It dries pretty fast. I think my issue came from reapplying it over an already dried area. We lost power mid application. Overall it was really easy to work with. For use on swamp ash I'd suggest two coats and make sure the first is completely dry before trying to get the ink down in the deeper pores. The only other wood I've tried it on is quilted maple. It blacked it out too much. You couldn't tell it was quilted.

I'm currently building up coats of satin Osmo Polyx.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Great info thanks!
Pickup company wise, would it be worth looking at a semi boutique company and ordering a lot of the same spec? Someone like Elysian or Legendary?

StringPluckery

Reaction score
You're welcome. It definitely could be. The challenge is finding something we're happy with that is versatile enough to justify spending a whole bunch on.

StringPluckery

Reaction score
Made a little more progress with these recently. Paying customers take priority over these two. I wasn't happy with how the India Ink looked with anything over top of it so I sanded it back and dyed the top with some TransTint.
IMG_20230613_163202619.jpg

I wasn't orignally going to do this body with nitro because I wanted the ash grain to telegraph through to the surface, but here we are with 3 coats of vinyl sealer.
IMG_20230617_153706609.jpg

Block sanded and the first 3 coats of clear. Gonna build it up over the next few days to get a nice level surface.
IMG_20230617_222718609.jpg
IMG_20230617_222800493.jpg

Boy do I hate sanding.

penguin_316

Reaction score
I’ve been here awhile(lurker since like 2004 even), we’ve seen so many companies come and go. All have the same issue, over promise and underdeliver (or never deliver, the most popular option).

When I was building guitars I had a simple solution. Only sell finished products, customs are an extreme backseat. While this means financing everything upfront and a pulse on the latest/greatest trends, at least you can build a brand. Life got in the way for me, but at least I hadn’t taken a bunch of peoples money and ruined my chances.

TLDR:Build complete guitars, start customs once establish much further down the road.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
There are quite a few people using that same basic shape, I'd be worried that it really doesn't stand out as anything new/unique.

cip 123

Reaction score
There are quite a few people using that same basic shape, I'd be worried that it really doesn't stand out as anything new/unique.
Yea you can grab this pretty much exact from NK for $400
ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

StringPluckery

Reaction score
That NK looks pretty slick. We know there are plenty out there already that look very similar. We'll either be another option to choose from, just like you can go out and select from a million different Strat styles, or we'll have a bunch of goofy looking guitars hanging on our walls.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That NK looks pretty slick. We know there are plenty out there already that look very similar. We'll either be another option to choose from, just like you can go out and select from a million different Strat styles, or we'll have a bunch of goofy looking guitars hanging on our walls.
Yeah, you just need something to distinguish yourself from everyone else. People have done it with finishes, hardware, body shapes, neck shapes, string count, tremolos, quality, trustworthiness, speed to manufacture, etc. If you guys present some compelling reason why do ơn should choose you over more known brands, I think that would work.

StringPluckery

Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing this one up between all the other projects we've had or have going on. Changes on future builds will be a clear coat on top of the conductive paint in the control cavity because it scuffs just looking at it and adding a small chamfer all around the edge on the back.

Overall I'm super happy with it. The neck is very thin and upper fret access is better than any bolt on I've had the privilege of playing (I've never played the Washburn N4).
IMG_20240127_231521715-min.jpg
IMG_20240127_234841216-min.jpg
IMG_20240127_234757297-min.jpg
IMG_20240127_234742791-min.jpg
IMG_20240127_235201918-min.jpg
IMG_20240127_235303008_HDR-min.jpg
IMG_20240127_235228353_HDR-min.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Looks cool. Maybe on future builds add 1mm or so to the FB on the bass side? Maybe it's camera angle, but the string looks close to the edge (and I'm one to always slide the highest or lowest string off the edge).

For the different models (like a 10 vs 6) will you scale up the body, or does it work with the same basic size?

NickK-UK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Straps?

I used recessed strap points, with locking straps means without straps they disappear from the guitar itself when sitting etc but easy to clip in and you're away standing.

StringPluckery

Reaction score
Looks cool. Maybe on future builds add 1mm or so to the FB on the bass side? Maybe it's camera angle, but the string looks close to the edge (and I'm one to always slide the highest or lowest string off the edge).

For the different models (like a 10 vs 6) will you scale up the body, or does it work with the same basic size?
Haha. I saw that after I posted the photos. It may just be the angle. The strings are spaced based on center to center spacing, just my personal preference, rather than equal spacing between the "edges" of the strings. If you look at where the shadow hits the frets on the low string it a little better representation of how much playable fret there is. Either way it's an easily adjustable parameter for future builds.

I have the CAD model set up so that changes to scale lengths or string count or any other spec that changes dimensions of the fretboard also adjust the body.

StringPluckery

Reaction score
Straps?

I used recessed strap points, with locking straps means without straps they disappear from the guitar itself when sitting etc but easy to clip in and you're away standing.
This one is for me and I only play at home sitting in front of my PC so I'm not adding strap locks.

Those recessed ones do look really slick except for the big dog bowl shaped part that goes on the strap. That's a small gripe for a really cool solution, though.

')