World Record For Fastest Picking?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This has been posted quite a few times. At least the guy doesn't seem to be kidding anyone that it's a great musical performance.

Personally I don't think super-fast tremolo picking is really that impressive. Anyone who's ever played in a black or death metal band can play super-fast tremolo picked riffs. Personally I'm more impressed by people who combind the right-hand speed with dynamics, phrasing and rhythmic control (McLaughlin, Bettencourt, DiMeola etc.) but hey ho... I've long since given up expecting anything impressive from all these 'fastest guitarist' videos on Youtube.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
Sonic motion?

Sonic, adjective, related to sound.

Motion, noun, excrement esp. human.

Yep, "sonic motion" is an apt description.

:agreed:

More pointless than a 25lb lumphammer.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
The funny thing is I only recently noticed that I play with my pick angled backwards like that. I can't believe that I never picked up on it after all the years I've been playing.

Does anyone here play that way on a regular basis other than me?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The funny thing is I only recently noticed that I play with my pick angled backwards like that. I can't believe that I never picked up on it after all the years I've been playing.

Does anyone here play that way on a regular basis other than me?

I have actually experimented with the Steve Morse style quite a bit, i.e. pick at a reverse angle and gripped with two fingers and a thumb. I've found it's great for cross-picking patterns, and gives a hell of a lot of projection and volume on acoustic guitar, but makes fast picking along the strings much harder, and makes sweeping and economy picking virtually impossible. I still mess with it occasionally, but decided the elements of my style that I'd have to sacrifice if I worked at making it my default style far outweighed the benefits to be gained. Nowadays I just break it out occasionally to get a different tone.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah this was posted before, and as then people simply failed to understand that he is not trying to play something beautiful. he is trying to be fast. thats what it is supposed to be, a speed attempt.

blaming him cus it sounds bad is like watching a dragster and go "thats a shitty fucking car, it would suck in a rally competition" or saying that a guitar solo is crap cus it aint heavy :lol: see it for what it is :yesway:

GH0STrider

Resident Gangsta
Reaction score
Big fucking deal. Lets see him actually do something other than rolling around on one string. What is with these players obsessing over how fast they can pick? If there is no substance to it then it's fucking pointless. That's like saying I can stroke my dick faster than anyone on the planet. I can turn my hand at a different angle there too... What a joke.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I have actually experimented with the Steve Morse style quite a bit, i.e. pick at a reverse angle and gripped with two fingers and a thumb. I've found it's great for cross-picking patterns, and gives a hell of a lot of projection and volume on acoustic guitar, but makes fast picking along the strings much harder, and makes sweeping and economy picking virtually impossible. I still mess with it occasionally, but decided the elements of my style that I'd have to sacrifice if I worked at making it my default style far outweighed the benefits to be gained. Nowadays I just break it out occasionally to get a different tone.

I pick that way pretty much exclusively (minus the two fingers part -- just thumb and index finger), unless I'm strumming chords. I also economy pick pretty much exclusively, and sweep (sort of -- usually 2-1-2-1-2 patterns) a lot.

The big problem isn't sweeping, or economy picking, I've found, but rather, pinch harmonics. I can't do them that well. But I can't do them with a normal pick grip either, so meh.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I pick that way pretty much exclusively (minus the two fingers part -- just thumb and index finger), unless I'm strumming chords. I also economy pick pretty much exclusively, and sweep (sort of -- usually 2-1-2-1-2 patterns) a lot.

The big problem isn't sweeping, or economy picking, I've found, but rather, pinch harmonics. I can't do them that well. But I can't do them with a normal pick grip either, so meh.

I play with the reverse pick angle most of the time too. Especially when doing fast riffing and rhythms. It changes a bit when I sweep pick and when I pinch I dig in and change angle aswell. Its something I'd never noticed until about 2 years ago.

')