World's Most Expensive Guitar

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
well I'd agree that 19 men's signatures on a guitar aren't worth $2.8m (except Mark Knopfler :D) but it went to a good cause, so it's hardly 'overrated'.

In that case it isn't "overrated" as such, but I'd never want to own it.

A lot of people see something that is signed by someone famous and by association its seen as having a greater sense of value and most times it just doesn't.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
"Collectors" find greater sense of value out of signatures, since most guitarists are "Players" not "collectors" we don't really care.

Arctodus

king of the monsters
Reaction score
I understand if a band signs it. But having multiple "names" on it to me kind of demotes the value all together. Its become a graffiti canvas

onefingersweep

Reaction score
The money went to the Tsunami victims so it's not strange that it was sold for that much. It could have been something else. I don't think it should be listed as the most expensive guitar, although it is. The fact that it was made for charity disqualifies it IMO. It's not the guitar itself that is valuble and it was certainly not the reason someone bought it.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
The amusing part, is that there really isn't any difference at all, pre and post signature, to the guitar itself. That's $2'798'000 of nostalgic value right there.

Edit: And none of those guys are dead! SS.org could get a white strat and repeat the process to raise funds for a charity of our choice.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
"Collectors" find greater sense of value out of signatures, since most guitarists are "Players" not "collectors" we don't really care.

and you speak collectively for the entire forum?

The money went to the Tsunami victims so it's not strange that it was sold for that much. It could have been something else. I don't think it should be listed as the most expensive guitar, although it is. The fact that it was made for charity disqualifies it IMO. It's not the guitar itself that is valuble and it was certainly not the reason someone bought it.

I don't see how that disqualifies it in any way. it is the most expensive guitar ever sold, and while it isn't a production guitar available to the public on retail, I never specified that it was so it's not 'disqualified' from anything.

jeez you new guys really like bold posting don't you?

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
who uh, who give a shit :lol:

its pretty damn cool, but it only sold for that because of the legends that signed it

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
Nah, a 2101

Really fixed :fawk:

The amusing part, is that there really isn't any difference at all, pre and post signature, to the guitar itself. That's $2'798'000 of nostalgic value right there.

Edit: And none of those guys are dead! SS.org could get a white strat and repeat the process to raise funds for a charity of our choice.

Convincing everyone to make 7 or 8 string versions of our favorite sixers right

onefingersweep

Reaction score

I don't see how that disqualifies it in any way. it is the most expensive guitar ever sold, and while it isn't a production guitar available to the public on retail, I never specified that it was so it's not 'disqualified' from anything.

:ugh: Am I not allowed to have an opinion?

For me it's not the most expensive guitar if I would do list of them. Thats what I think then you can think whatever you want.

"New guys" you say? New to what? :lol:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score

... since most guitarists are "Players" not "collectors" we don't really care.

I love reading things properly.

I don't get people who get defensive over text on a forum... except for the luthiers here when people talk smack about them by all means they have the right to.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
:ugh: Am I not allowed to have an opinion?

For me it's not the most expensive guitar if I would do list of them. Thats what I think then you can think whatever you want.

"New guys" you say? New to what? :lol:

you're entitled to your opinion, I just wanted to share with y'all something interesting, nevermind. and you're new to the forum, but I don't got no beef with you.

I love reading things properly.

I don't get people who get defensive over text on a forum... except for the luthiers here when people talk smack about them by all means they have the right to.

you're still speaking on your own behalf, and your post came across rude.

I wasn't 'getting defensive', just being rude back. you might want to get some more posts under your belt before you try to be a smartass.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
you're still speaking on your own behalf, and your post came across rude.

I wasn't 'getting defensive', just being rude back. you might want to get some more posts under your belt before you try to be a smartass.

I apologize I did not know post count governed tolerance for you reading text in an incorrect tone.

I'll be sure to spam excessively in the off topic section for a few days to get a few thousand posts so I can "smart ass" it up.

*Makes jerking off motion in air*

Btw if anyone disagrees with me and feels they value "collectors value" over playability on a guitar feel free to say so. Reasons I used a general term like "most" because I don't speak for everyone... difficult concept I know.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score

They have just as much a right to speak boldly as you do ;)

:rolleyes: Dude! relax, take a chill pill, and get your head out of your ass. There is nothing wrong with what he said, aside from a some bad punctuation :lol:. I fail to see what's so "rude" about it. Don't get offended at his last post either, because you were basically asking for that one.

')