Worst Bands You've Been In Thread

ONE

He who is cake.
Reaction score
Most of us have been in just plain awful bands at some point in our life. Wether its the music, the band members, the sound guy(I dont know, anythings possible). I'm curious to see if anyone recalls a really terrible band they've been in. Share your stories on the wonderful SSO. (Unfortunately I can't seem to remember any really bad bands I've been in so someone else will have to starts us off.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oddkid

Reaction score
Loads, most of the bands i've played in have had pros and cons. It's usually a member who has ideas above his station. Its so hard to find people who are in it for the music anymore. I've had a guitarist who was harping on about sponsors and getting famous before we've even written a song, a bass player who thought he was famous already and acted like it and a singer who thought getting a support slot for a slipknot tribute would get him a record deal. Sadly that was one guy in each of the last three bands i played in. Broke my will to play with them straight away, i can't stand people who think they're better than everyone else. I think it ruins the band when they get like that too. All i ever wanted to do was write music i was happy with and play a few shows.

Aewrik

Reaction score
The worst wasn't really a band experience, but more of a one-song lineup. We were playing Moonlapse Vertigo, and had ten (10) weeks (!) to prepare, and rehearsed once a week. After five weeks, I confronted the other guitarists (yes, we were three to handle the harmonies) why we still couldn't get through the song from start to finish, and they were like "it's cool, we still have time, we know it now". They of course played like shit on stage, and finally just stopped playing and watched while me and the bassist shared the performance with the drummer. It was probably the only time I went tomato on stage, but I still get angry from how bad/noobish it sounded until they stopped playing. It probably sounded thin after that, but at least it didn't sound like shit. Better a silver lining, than a shit nugget, as they say :ugh:

I haven't had any "worst band" experiences, they've all been pretty good, even though they've fallen apart after a couple of months for various reasons (most often because of creative differences - able musicians are hard to come by and are often not willing to commit their time to something they wouldn't choose to play on their own.)

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
The worst band experience I've had was when I played in what became a 'Children Of Bodom' tribute-band..
We learnt a COB song to jam with and feel the vibe within the group, it felt good and we decided to form a band.

The singer then took the role as master in chief and booked gigs without us even knowing until it was a week or
less left for us to get on stage, so we had to learn loads of COB songs and shit.. it was fun for a while because it
was awesome to be on stage and we were actually quite good at playing the songs for just being 14-15 years old!

But it started to get annoying after a while because I wanted to write our own music and become a "real" band,
I wrote songs at home and later showed them and they liked it.. but they never bothered to learn them!

The 'master' wrote some songs to, they were really really good.. the only thing that was bad about them was that
they weren't his own, he'd just copied some At The Gates songs down to the BPM!

I quit after had playing with the dudes for over a year because the 'late-notice-gigs' became to frequent and me
living 50 miles away from their town even my parents started to get annoyed for driving me there!

But it was a good experience, I start my band-projects with good friends and we only write our own music these
days to not end up in a vicious circle of never-ending covers... AND we take all decisions within the band like a BAND!

I'll give this :fawk: to all asshole-bandmates out there! haha

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
When I was in 6th grade our school held a big talent show. I had been playing guitar for about six months with another friend who played guitar and sang. My cousin was also going to sing (so two guitars/two vocals). We were going to cover Nirvana "Polly" for the show but one of the teachers looked up the lyrics and decided it was inappropriate a week before the actual show. Somehow in that week, we thought it would be a great idea to write an original song and my cousin who originally was just doing vocals decided that he was now our drummer (he had a drumkit but had yet to learn to play). We sounded as bad as you think we did. To make matters worse another group of guys who had been playing together much longer played behind us and wiped the floor with us. I sort of view this as the turning point in my musical journey. I locked myself in my room for three years and came out a guitarist. So I suppose some good came of it lol.

Kiwimetal101

'Tread Lightly'
Reaction score
I was 14 when I got into my first band, we went with the name "Six days till sunday" :noplease:

And of-course being 14 year olds listening to stuff like parkway drive and comeback kid we thought we were brutal as fuck. We played one show, which sucked balls I played completely out of time (first time in front of a crowd, no monitors didn't help either).

I then went on holiday with my family a couple of weeks later, were I received a bebo (yes bebo) message from one of the guys letting me know I'd been kicked out of the band.

Never really been in a long term band since, just rockquest (national high school battle of the bands) bands with other guys from school.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Band Name: Putrified Farts
Style: Grindshit Metal
Song titles: I've found Jesus in Uranus, Rotting Rotte, ect.

It wasn't a bad experience at all though. Just the stupidiest I've been too when I think about it ahaha

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
They all seemed to be in the school days....

First, there was this band, Twilight Requiem. I was about 16. It was a 4 piece, with no singer. I was a rhythm guitarist at the time. Just kind of playing because my buddy was the lead guitarist and I had nothing better to do. We did covers of Ozzy, Vai, just a bunch of songs that were played horribly. The lead guy definitely couldn't pull off any Randy Rhoads stuff, not to mention Steve Vai. But he had the look! The long, flowing hair, the facial expressions, did I mention he was Indian? Whenever we told people what the band name was, they were like, "Tight Rectum? What the hell kind of name is that...."

Then there was the band after that. I was about 17. We had a proper singer, all new line up. We pretty much played thrash. Some Anthrax, Metallica, Amulance, originals.... We called ourselves "Slap Happy". It was the drummer's idea. He was a few sandwiches short of a pick-nick, but damn he was a good drummer. Our singer looked like this industrial goth reject. I had a mullet at the time. NIce! Back on track here, at the end of the school year, the senior class was putting on a mid-year dance with live bands, but the guy running it, was the lead guitarist from the other band. Knowing our style would never get us in, we learned Zepplin's "Stairway to Heaven" which won us a spot. Well needless to say, we went out there and played 30 minutes of thrash. They were less than amused.

TheAmercanLow

Reaction score
About a year ago, I was in a rock band called "til tomorrow". I wrote songs, would show them to the band, and we wouldn't use them. But if the singer came up with anything, we just HAD to use it. All his stuff was absolutely horrible. I eventually got fed up, called him out on it, and he punched the wall in the practice space and left in a fit of rage. Needless to say, that was our last practice.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I joined a band when I was 14, an "Irish/Gaelic Black Metal Band" called Marbhan(pronounced Marvawn). I was pretty impressionable back then and I joined cause the other guitarist was an older guy, 17 I think, who was into all this obscure black and death metal. We where fucking terrible. Turned out he couldnt really play guitar other than a heavily distorted/blackened version of The Final Countdown and I was only playing a year at that stage so I wasnt much better.

Our drummer thought he was the second coming of drummers, although couldnt hold a beat for more than 30 seconds and we never found a bass player. I think the whole thing lasted maybe 6 months before the other guitarist declared we where "fucking lame and not brutal enough" so he quit but I later found out that he quit cause he had to get circumcised and didnt want anyone to know! Haha!

I didnt join a band again until I was 18 and knew exactly what I wanted and who I wanted to play with.

djyngwie

Reaction score
I joined this pseudo-electronic project because of an acquaintance (who was the soundman). It was basically a one-man project (singer, songwriter) + me and another guy on drums. The rest of the music was sequenced. The problem was, that the guy in charge was a know-it-all pompous ass. You know the kind of guys that are experts on everything, except when you're actually narrowing things down to an area of your own expertise you see they know next to nothing on the subject (for instance, he claimed to have been taught a high level of music theory, yet thought fourths were thirds. He insisted that scotch should be served with ice. Finally he was a dairy-eating(!) "vegan" and generally one of those guys that give veganism bad name). In the long run, both me and the sounds guy quit the project, as we couldn't stand his BS.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
in high school. "The fiends". they were all punk rock types, i could play. If it sounded like it might be good, they didn't like it lol.

we did play a party though - my first time playing out, it was fun. Even had my first "groupie"

stevexc

Reaction score
My first band was musically the worst. We named ourselves after a Finger Eleven song and played a bastard mix of Godsmack and Staind. Our singer/guitarist couldn't sing or play guitar very well, I had no clue how to play bass, and our drummer - actually no, he was decent. Still fun as all hell and I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

My next band started off as the shittiest band ever. Our vocalist refused to sing but absolutely insisted on covering Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr. Our jams always descended into wrestling matches, our guitarist quit after two weeks, and our drummer was a two-time high school dropout. Fortunately we found two new guitarists and until we found a dedicated vocalist our drummer took vocal duties and we put out some decent tech death, kind of a blend of Vader and Cannibal Corpse and Crytopsy. Fun shit.

My third band was 100% awesome, celtic-influenced folk metal. 2 guitars, bass, drums and keys with one guitarist and the keyboardist pulling out tin whistles and the other guitarist playing didgeridoo at some points. So good.

My latest band was a complete departure, though. Very pop-punk/rado-friendly rock. Man, that was a shitshow. Our one guitarist was straight up awesome, he's in a different pop-punk band now and doing fairly well. But our other guitarist (fuck I hope they don't read this) was pretty much in the band for sex appeal. Short skirts, minimal playing, unique interpretive dances on stage. Our first drummer (or at least the current one when I joined, they had been together for a while) was a 16-year-old kid who got removed from the band for offering to fill in as a drummer for our "rival" band. The band manager (ie the chick guitarist's mom - seriously) already knew about this being a possibility, but threw a fit when they put posters up on their facebook implying he was a permanent member. The second drummer would have fit in better in like a hardcore band or something. Good drummer, but totally different style. All really nice people, but fuck. Seriously. Like, they had had so many issues with drummers and bass players that I had to sign a contract agreeing to give them notice before I quit. Not sure it was binding but still.

EDIT: Yeah, band number two - relations with the drummer kinda went sour by the time the band broke up. Like, literally if I ran into him on the street I'd bash his face in for reasons not related to the band.

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
One I don't think I can count as a band, as we never actually managed to play a full song together. We attempted many times, but it always ended with us just saying fuck it and cooking french fries and watching movies or live DVDs.

The cruddiest actual band never played any shows thankfully. But we did record a couple of songs. :cringe:

(These were both when I was 16 or so)

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
The "worst" band I've been in was my first band, Awkward Silence. We weren't really bad, per se, just young, green, and inexperienced. We had a shitload of fun recording demos and playing shows, and actually got to the point where we were pretty good live, but it just fell apart in the end due to petty drama and bickering. We even did a home-made music video for one of our songs that's quite cringe-worthy to watch now, so of course, I have to share it below so you guys can cringe with me. Be kind, SS.org, we didn't know any better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9coHHCd1Gc

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
The "worst" band I've been in was my first band, Awkward Silence. We weren't really bad, per se, just young, green, and inexperienced. We had a shitload of fun recording demos and playing shows, and actually got to the point where we were pretty good live, but it just fell apart in the end due to petty drama and bickering. We even did a home-made music video for one of our songs that's quite cringe-worthy to watch now, so of course, I have to share it below so you guys can cringe with me. Be kind, SS.org, we didn't know any better!

GUitar tone in that song actually isnt too bad :rofl:

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
Ive been lucky to be in reasonably decent bands but my first band was called decadence we had the shittest gear imaginable. i was forced to do vocals and in about a year and a half of weekly practices we could play Refuse Resist ,For Whom the bell tolls and highway to hell(yes that's the level we are talking about). no-one did their homework me included but it was fun and not too serious and i think we played those 3 songs ok. i'm still good friends with those guys but i wouldn't be in a band with them again lol.

The band before the one i'm in now was called "in the wake" . It was tough because it was a symphonic female fronted metal band. the other guitar player ignored all my suggestions which is fine but he never finished writing his own songs we just had a collection of half finished dross. the singer had a great voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amHM7qxX_r0

But she would always have excuses for not turning up/learning songs and was constantly claiming to be ill. also she would put the mike in her lap still on and proceed to much through packets of crisps (chips in the us) loudly through the pa whilst we were working on instrumental parts and discussing stuff. My brother wasn't available to do drums so we had an endless stream of useless "drummers" who couldn't keep to a click. In the end the drummer who was best of a bad lot moved away and the singer said she still wanted to be in the band but not turn up to practices??!?!?! so we put the band on hold indefinitely and its been that way to this day. I'm kind still in the band in that i never officially left but have other projects now.

')