Worst experience with a guitar?

• Thread starter alexmurphy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
I read it and chose to ignore it :lol:

Well not just 7 string players, but I have just read your DeVeires and UPS threads and they trump everything else thats on here :ugh:

I think you might have me confused with someone else... if you're referring to Ed DeVries, i never made a thread about him or UPS.

Unless I just have horrible memory, which is entirely possible.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ckackley

Reaction score
My second guitar ever was a 12 string acoustic. While waiting for the school bus one well below freezing morning, I dropped it in it's case backside down. I opened it and it looked fine. Got to school and when I arrived in guitar class I pulled the guitar out of the case. Only the back stayed behind.. The entire back of the guitar broke off along with just enough support pieces to let the sides walk out of shape. Totally trashed.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I read it and chose to ignore it :lol:

Well not just 7 string players, but I have just read your DeVeires and UPS threads and they trump everything else thats on here :ugh:

That would be the user Night Train not this fella. :lol:

I_infect

Reaction score
Won a 007 Blackjack on Ebay, and it came in a damaged C-1 Blackjack. That's the last time I bought a used guitar. Returned it, seller never signed for it or accepted delivery, it came back to me. Out $100 shipping both ways and stuck with a busted guitar:wallbash:

Bought a brand new Jackson COW 7, came in a box with packing paper without a case and the neck pivoting on 2 bolts, as the other 2 were stripped out the neck. From Musician's Friend no less:noway:

Bought brand new Dean RC7x, came in damaged and obviously used, display model maybe. Sent it back, Dean sent a hand picked replacement direct from warehouse.:yesway: One of the best if not the best playing guitars I've played.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh boy, he's just a small sample.

A buddy of mine got a used USA Strat for VERY cheap, it was a couple years old, with no digs or scratches just a LOT of dust, so I figured he just scored a deal. Well, it turns out it was seriously messed up, and probably shouldn't have left the factory. It had the mother of all dead spots from the 13th to 19th frets. I tried EVERYTHING, shimming the neck, adding mass at the headstock, adding mass at the body, adding mass at both ends. I even went as far to take some wood out of the trem cavity, as well as switch trem blocks. The best I could do is isolate it to the 17th - 21st frets, but still.

About three years ago I found what I thought was a great deal on CL. It was a Gibson SG Faded for only $300. I jumped on it, and bought it. It turns out there was a defect in the glue joint holding the fretboard to the neck. Needless to say, after a hot and humid FL spring, the board was lifting off from the nut, down to the 5th fret on the treble side! :noplease:

I also had some problems with an Ibby. I got an RG1570 a couple years ago, bought it new. The first time I go to adjust the truss rod SNAP. The nut sized and snapped the rod at an odd angle. As if the metal in the rod had a defect. It took hours to sort out.

Those are some of the worse that come to mind.

I_infect

Reaction score
It turns out there was a defect in the glue joint holding the fretboard to the neck. Needless to say, after a hot and humid FL spring, the board was lifting off from the nut, down to the 5th fret on the treble side! :noplease:

I've had a few of those... every one of them Schecters. Anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th fret down:noway:

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I think he's joking...right? What did you mean by "easier just to buy a new one", SchecterWhore?

Yep. Issa yolk. I do go an extraordinarily long time without changing strings, though.

The rhythm guitarist in my band bought one of these Minarik Guitars
this was before we were friends, so I didn't have the ability to counsel him on his purchase. He said at the time he bought it 'because it looked cool' :facepalm: Needless to say, it was awful. I didn't even want to touch it. the setup on it was PATHETICALLY BAD. And he's too cheap to get it done professionally so he just constantly complained about it. It also came with some of the worst sounding pickups I've ever witnessed.

Then one time at practice (unfortunately after I left so i didnt get to see it) the strap button completely fell off, and he dropped it on his foot. Being an LP style guitar, the thing probably weighed about 12 pounds, and he totally broke his foot. And just to add insult to injury, upon falling to the ground, some of the paint on the neck chipped off of it. The next time he went to play it, he got a splinter in his hand. I've just been letting him use my old jackson sl1

I remember looking at this company when I had GAS for a double neck. Glad I didn't go with them, now. I think they're located in Glendale, which is, like, five minutes on the freeway from me.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
My first seven string was a piece of junk. It was a dillion 7 string (rg-esque) with a floyd rose. I could never get that thing setup right no matter how much i tried. The frets had sharp ends and pretty much everything was not good on it. A long time ago I had brought it to a show and somebody stole it. I honestly wasnt really even that angry lol.

snuif09

Reaction score
Yep. Issa yolk. I do go an extraordinarily long time without changing strings, though.

I remember looking at this company when I had GAS for a double neck. Glad I didn't go with them, now. I think they're located in Glendale, which is, like, five minutes on the freeway from me.

hell buy me 2 guitars and i will be your personal string change whore hahaha

james12impurity

Reaction score
WTF SchecterWhore you actually buy new guitars instead of changing strings?? how much money do you have lying around!!!

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I don't have any real awful problems, my first rg's (which I still love) frets are a complete joke and that was 2+ years ago that it was made... It has more fret ware than the 10+ year old frets on my S series. I think they're made from aluminum cans.

My S series actually came with one of the bridge studs loose and the anchor was jammed in the stud. So I had to rip the whole thing out which chipped the finish a bit. I ended up gluing the piece back in once I put it back together.

My ex-50... well theres nothing really wrong with it I just bought it when I didn't know how to set up a trem and wanted a fixed bridge and now its everything I've grown to hate in a guitar. I did sit it next to this bass I had and at some point the bass managed to bump it and the output jack scratched up the side...

Nothing really amazing here..

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Worst I've ever had was in my high school bands days, a schoolmate bought an Aria pro II stratoid. I have no clue what the pickups inside were, but this guitar was a larsen fest and sounded like an angry beesnest. Compunded to the fact that the othr guitarist used a decent entry level Ibanez with a metal zone he just sounded the worst I have ever head a guitar player. E-V-E-R.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had a few of those... every one of them Schecters. Anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th fret down:noway:

Wow, that sucks.

I've only run into the dreaded "fretboard lift" on entry level Gibsons, and cheaper acoustics like Martin X-series, and other miscellaneous low enders.

Matt-Hatchett

Reaction score
My Agile Hornet 727 arrived with serious paint chips (1/2" or more) on both of the points and the pointy part of the headstock was chipped to a point where there was some wood missing. Pointy guitars need to be shipped in more than just a double box. :noplease:

Kurt took it back and refunded my money without any problems, so that was nice, but I had been anticipating that thing for so long since I was in the first run of 727 Hornets and actually put down my deposit months earlier. I'm still GASing for one of these, but that whole experience just kind of put me off. I'll probably eventually try again now that it looks like there are hard cases that fit these things.

EDIT: Post 666! :evil:

I've heard a ton of horror stories about people ordering agiles and them coming in chipped and sometimes not even being the correct guitar. I had a friend that ordered the 30 scale and when it came in it was 25.5. That kind of makes me weary of doing business with Agile.

Latest posts

')