Worst Task Ever...Thinking of a band name

• Thread starter UltraParanoia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MontaraMike

F Sharp
Reaction score
metal_band_logo_03_by_montaramike-d6enp07.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Step 1: Take two nonsense words dealing with religion, omnipresence, disease, or otherwise metal themes. For example, Ugly and Cancer.

Step 2: Find thesaurus.

Step 3: Surf through synonyms until you have two brutal sounding words, and mash them together to form a nonsense brutal band name. Starting with "ugly" and "cancer" we can end up with "Invidious Malignancy" or "Odious Sarcoma"

you are now in a death metal band

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
Pussyvan. definitely Pussyvan.

Of course my band is Kannibal Kow, so you probably shouldn't take any advice from me.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Pussyvan. definitely Pussyvan.

Of course my band is Kannibal Kow, so you probably shouldn't take any advice from me.

Pussyvan is such an awesome word. I doubt anyone will use that as a band name, and yet I feel as sure as I am alive that the band which adopts that name will rise to fame and fortune. It is, quite possibly, the best name known to all mankind.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Choose something that's not a real word. Like Parth, Verce, Jelld, or or maybe spell a normal word incorrectly--like I was thinking about calling a solo project 'sickaida' (cicada) once. I still might use that someday so you can't have it.

Or you know, just read a bunch of lyrics or song titles by your biggest influences and pick something from there, possibly tweak it a little.

Or you could go the Meshuggah route and just pick a word from another language like hebrew. Your band could be Schmear.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Why not use "I Will Hunt You Down"? Its very ARTSY and THOUGHT PROVOKING,

For something a little less on the nose, and for something that probably still make people ask "what dat?", how bout "Hunter Down."

It could be a few things...

- Plenty of hunters in Aussieland (at least, according to Crocodile Dundee :p), and "down" could easily refer to "down under."
- "Hunter" is phonetically similar to "Hunt her." Double meaning, perhaps?
- People could think you're making some sort of sci-fi reference. Is a Hunter in this case similar to a Blade Runner? Eh? EH?

Do what you want, though. :lol:

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
Ballon Full of Cocaine....it invokes thoughts of people kestering stuff, while not being descriptive enough to stop all ages shows from happening

Kaickul

ΛTRΛMΞNTVM
Reaction score
It's really hard especially if 1 word, but I suggest you look into band names in Orcish language or middle earth language just like what Burzum did. For now, I would suggest the name "Asphalt Cobra", I think it's really bad-ass and original.

TheDeathOfMusic

Reaction score
For something a little less on the nose, and for something that probably still make people ask "what dat?", how bout "Hunter Down."

It could be a few things...

- Plenty of hunters in Aussieland (at least, according to Crocodile Dundee :p), and "down" could easily refer to "down under."
- "Hunter" is phonetically similar to "Hunt her." Double meaning, perhaps?
- People could think you're making some sort of sci-fi reference. Is a Hunter in this case similar to a Blade Runner? Eh? EH?

Do what you want, though. :lol:
+1 for this.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
Thinking of a band name is really hard, it took my band weeks.

Some things that we discovered that helped:

Set up a band facebook message thread for name discussion (if you all use FB regularly). This way you can keep track of all suggestions.

Figure out a good source of interesting words/phrases/concepts. Can be anything that works for you. My bandmates went looking through their iTunes libraries for cool song titles to use or alter. I just listened to BBC Radio 4 (if you're in the UK you now know how uncool I am) whenever I was driving or cooking food as we've got a radio in the kitchen since there are interesting discussions on there sometimes.

When you come up with stuff you like search google with the name + music or name + band. Do the same on Amazon, iTunes, streaming services sites etc. Do a lot of searching to make sure it is unique.

Once you've found something unique that you all like ask a few people what they think just to see if it goes down well and identifies with what you are.

Let us know what you pick!

acrcmb

Reaction score
whatever ever you do keep it simple the sciencey names and phrase names may seem cool but they are hard for people to remember, just make sure it's unique and easy to remember keep low on syllables and also make it something sensible it made sound like common sense but I'm alot less likely to recommend a band if it has a 'so brutal' name like 'fetus corpse' or one of those made up intellectual terms like "necrocratication" or an emo name like "as we fall", overall the name doesn't make the band but it can ruin it so choose carefully and when you think you've choosen just keep saying it for a while and see if it sounds right before commiting.

')