Would LOVE some feedback on my tone

Reaction score
Hi 7S.org!

I just finished recording my bands first track from our upcoming album. We're a really small band, no one but our friends have heard of us. So I'm looking for some feedback from some non bias people such as yourselves to let me know how we are doing.

I would love to know constructively what you think about:

- My guitar tone
- The mix of my track
- The creative writing of the track
- & anything else you would like to comment on :)

LINKY:

P.s. (I used a beat up RG1527 through an Axefx Ultra into a mesa cab) Recorded with a D112.

Kit is all real recording except a blended kick sample.

Cheers guys,

Robb :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
It is well balanced and good guitar tone. It lacks treble (the heavy guitar), but in a good way because it makes the cleaner part more pronounced and overall gives it a unique characteristic. Vocals are well done too.

That thing in the heavy part where it says pumpkin positive is kind of hilarious. :lol: Don't know why. What's the motif? It isn't the clearest, for me it least.

I'm listening through headphones BTW...

Reaction score
That thing in the heavy part where it says pumpkin positive is kind of hilarious. :lol: Don't know why. What's the motif? It isn't the clearest, for me it least.

I'm listening through headphones BTW...

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I really appreciate it :) I wasn't sure if I low-passed my guitar too much or not. I personally cannot stand harsh/fizzy guitar sounds.

As for the motif. It is supposed to be a dove. But heavily distressed. Obviously has had the wrong impact ahaha!! Thanks again for watching though.

flint757

Reaction score
Is pumpkin positive, which I just noticed is also the name of the song, have some meaning that I'm unaware of? It is just literally that phrase that made me laugh, but that is only because of the image it gave me of a happy pumpkin. :lol:

xfilth

Phrygianist
Reaction score
The low end, especially the kick, sounds very, very strange

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Love absolutely everything about this except the drum tones, which lack presence to me. Also the low end is pumping in the dist section.

You might want to add some high end to the distorted guitars; low gain->high gain transitions sound weird since the low gain parts are really high on presence (or high mid, how you want to see it) and then the dist comes in and everyone's waiting for it to come in your face and then all of a sudden the frequency responce just gets smaller. Hope you get what I mean...

And the video... oh boy, really well made. Also props to your vocalist for a real performance. Instead of just singing the notes, he's really singing the song and adding nuances and stuff!

:yesway:

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Wow, this is awesome. Bit of a weird mix, but it completely fits the music. Super unique stuff IMO.

Also, Eddie Vedder, is that you? :lol:

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Is pumpkin positive, which I just noticed is also the name of the song, have some meaning that I'm unaware of? It is just literally that phrase that made me laugh, but that is only because of the image it gave me of a happy pumpkin. :lol:

"pumpkin positive", which refers to the implication that a penlight shone into the patient's mouth would encounter a brain so small that the whole head would light up.

Doctors slang so patients don't know they're being insulted :lol:

fassaction

Reaction score
Such a strange song, but strange in a fucking awesome kick ass way! Absolutely loved this track...do you have it available for download? Would love to hear more tracks if you have some recorded.

I personally liked the raw guitar tone. The vocalist is awesome....reminds me a lot of Maynard, I would imagine tool and APC are big influences for you guys?

My only suggestions would be to EQ the snare a bit more...maybe even do a replacement. It sounded a little dead to my ears. Round out the kick a little bit more. But overall, thought it was an awesome track.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Really cool tune!

I thought it was all great, only thing I would change, (which has been said) is a little more presence on the heavy guitars, just so when they come in they have some more....presence.

Lookin' forward to your other tunes!

Reaction score
Wow, thanks a lot for so many responses. This is a really great community! Message received loud & clear as to adding some more presence to my heavy guitar sound. Many thanks for the kinds messages about the vocals too. & also many thanks for the honesty some posters had :)

Your all legends, I'll post a download to the finished thing (in a couple of weeks when all album tracks are finished) if anyone is interested.

Thanks again for some really interesting feedback. I've learned alot.

Robb

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
The song is really good, honestly. The tone for some of the heavy parts seems to lack punch, doesn't hit as hard as the music was probably intended. The song itself is awesome though.

MarkPopkie

Reaction score
this sounds like Destrage meets Pearl Jam. with maybe a little bit of Tool...

smoogle510

Reaction score
WOW amazing song! So sick. Like others said maybe some more treble on the guitars but other than that im loving literally EVERYTHING about this! Ill look forward to getting this album.

Reaction score
WOW amazing song! So sick. Like others said maybe some more treble on the guitars but other than that im loving literally EVERYTHING about this! Ill look forward to getting this album.

That's such a boost to hear honestly. Its always tough when it seems like no one gives a shit about the music that you make. I'll be sure to post a free download link for you guys at the end of this thread in a few weeks. Might make a new post on 'launch day':lol: or something. I'm definitely going to go with the advice on here & add that all important high end to my heavy guitar parts. Thanks again :)

')