Would LOVE some feedback on my tone

flint757

Reaction score
While our ears and your listeners are important just be sure that you like the changes as well. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C3Aye

Not C2Aye
Reaction score
Got a massive Tool vibe from the start, sounds really cool though. You really don't hear bands like this anymore (makes me sound really old...), so its nice to hear new bands like this :)

chinnybob

Reaction score
I actually really like the heavy guitar tone, it's just the transition from the cleans is a bit jarring because of the lack of treble. The actual song is amazing though! Looking forward to your album!

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Kinda like Incubus and Tool had a baby that sorta-djented...who teamed up with Taproot...

...I fucking love it. Add some high end / presence to the distorted guitars, and then take my money.

XxSilverburstDiezelxX

Audio Engineer
Reaction score
The structure is pretty good. I like the guitar tone acapella, I'm not digging it in the mix. The bass needs some serious re-eq. The lowend sounds great. The heavy guitar lacks a lot of treble and midrange punch.

The vocals sound like a mix of Maynard and 311. They need some work in the mix as well.

The cymbals need some breathing room.

sh4z

Reaction score
Sounds good! :) nice mix too.. good work man. the fractal-like (pun not intended :p) effect (in the video) is cool too. what video editing software you using ?

Reaction score
LOVIN the vocals...remind me of Incubus mixed in with tool, but some very nice progressive metal thrown in...

The playing is great but your tone is kinda lacking on the high end

in total ill give an 8.8/10 :D i thouroughly enjoyed this track, moreso than any other ive heard on SSO, even my own...on my 3rd listen now :shred::hbang::yesway:

+1

EDIT: i was ninjad on this one by ChickenHawk xD
Kinda like Incubus and Tool had a baby that sorta-djented...who teamed up with Taproot...

...I fucking love it. Add some high end / presence to the distorted guitars, and then take my money.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Yeah I love your vocalist, he sounds so much like Maynard its insane.

The drums lack presence. The guitars do lack a good bit of high end, and could do with being brought up a bit to balance out with the cleaner guitars. IMO of course. Past that, solid writing, and a nice track to listen to.

neotronic

Reaction score
Hi,

apart from what has been said about the guitar lacking presence, I would add a litle bit of high end to the kick drum so it stands out a little more...

I really like the song and I am looking forward to the whole album

jimROOT

MEMongrel
Reaction score
hey, sounds amazing! the clean stuff, especially the bass sounds really huge, fat and clean, great job ;)
is the album already out now? i'm really interested now. the driven guitars maybe could stand a bit more "bite" if you know, the bass punshes really hard through the mix, i think a bit more bite in the guitar tone would sound still more agressiv and clarify the notes. but thats grumbling on high level man! :D

the music at all reminds to a perfect circle and tool, but there are not many bands out there sounding that close to them, so i think its ok
trying to get your own style out of this reference, sounds really mature and heavy. like a slightly "metalised" tool.

some other thinks i would "change", a bit more room on the snare, the chorus should be a bit louder than the verse, the high peaks of the clean guitar sometimes cut quite sharp to your ears when you krank up the volume to hear the entire track louder.
otherwise, i wouldn't mix the drums to modern, sounds good, just give the snare a bit more space and its perfect... to me.
don't shape the tone to tight, i think it's no metal or djent so don't try to fit it to hard in that genre with all it's stereotype attributes, the loose buttom end fits good to this kind of music and got much more charm than a synthetic djent sound.

so, and one question to the video :D, was it made with the video copilot plugins?? (evolution or pro scores or like that?)
i've seen similar animations a while back on their page, and i'm looking for slightly automated animations like these in your video,
which are looking really cool.
oh i forgot: did you get the basssound out of the axefx? and which guitar do u use for? i love this bass tone :D

Reaction score
so, and one question to the video :D, was it made with the video copilot plugins?? (evolution or pro scores or like that?)
i've seen similar animations a while back on their page, and i'm looking for slightly automated animations like these in your video,
which are looking really cool.
oh i forgot: did you get the basssound out of the axefx? and which guitar do u use for? i love this bass tone :D

Hi JimROOT

Firstly I wana say thanks for taking the time to make such an in depth response. Its really great to get detailed thoughts from people such as yourself who is a fellow musician & SSO member, so thanks :)

In terms of the video, I made it using Final Cut Pro X. The animations were all automated by me except for the intro which is a preset but I though it fitted well with the black & white theme so I used it.

In terms of the bass, I can't actually remember what I used!! :scratch: (it was a borrowed bass, so there was no concept for which bass to use as we didn't have a choice!!) & I ran it through the BEST (imo) bass pedal out there. The darkglass BK3 ;) I hope this helped.

Reaction score
Sounds good! :) nice mix too.. good work man. the fractal-like (pun not intended :p) effect (in the video) is cool too. what video editing software you using ?

Hi,

Wow thanks for such a great response :) I used final cut pro X to make the video. & automated the text & fx. Look around 5 days to do.

Latest posts

')