Would you buy an 8 string Hornet??

Reaction score
Ok first, I searched couldnt really find anything about 8 string hornets/V's other the the Shchecter V-8, and I was talking to JerkyChid a few days ago, and remember somewhere someone said they would love a 8 string hornet.

So I emailed kurt asking what the possibiltys would be on getting a 8 string hornet.

Mainly what I want to know is would ayone besides, myself and Jerkychid buy one if they came to life?

Also what specs would you guys like if Kurt decides to make them?

as for my self these are the specs I would love to see:

Hornet Body with the in line 8 headstock, maybe the 4x4 headstock.
Neck through
27"+ scale
Mahogany body at least, maybe Ash
Fixed bridge
and maybe the Cephius pickups or what ever they are called
Color: BloodBurst

so lets hear what you guys would like and if you would be willing to buy one if they come to life.

:wavey: ~TwiztedChild

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alexmurphy

Banned
Reaction score
well, yesterday i started a thread about my 7 string custom hornet. before you buy a hornet you might want to look at that
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/116190-ngdish-agile-custom.html

But, as for what you are suggesting, i see a couple problems. first off, that neck better not be bolt on. I dont know what your preference would be, but know neck through is most likely your only option
Aside from that, as its been mentioned before, the guitar would most likely be off balanced. Hell, mine is 28" scale and its off balance as it is. accomodating for that extra string would most likely just weigh it down more
Lastly, i wouldnt suggest to anyone buying a v shaped guitar unless you play a lot of live shows. They are meant to be more of a show guitar, not something you practice with. i play a show maybe every few months, and aside from that my hornet gets almost no usage.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
i wouldnt suggest to anyone buying a v shaped guitar unless you play a lot of live shows. They are meant to be more of a show guitar, not something you practice with. i play a show maybe every few months, and aside from that my hornet gets almost no usage.

I play in classical position so V's are perfect for me, it just depends on how you sit with your guitar

Reaction score
:squint: I'm pretty sure I posted that I wanted it Neck through, Let me check to make sure, yep it is there, plain as day Neck Through :lol:

and I just love the shape of the V guitars, and think that it would make me stand up while particing and get used to standing while plaing. where my H-207 I have been playing it sitting down almost everytime I play it. so in a way It could be a good thing about the "Hard to play sitting down" thing. :shrug:

alexmurphy

Banned
Reaction score
:squint: I'm pretty sure I posted that I wanted it Neck through, Let me check to make sure, yep it is there, plain as day Neck Through :lol:

and I just love the shape of the V guitars, and think that it would make me stand up while particing and get used to standing while plaing. where my H-207 I have been playing it sitting down almost everytime I play it. so in a way It could be a good thing about the "Hard to play sitting down" thing. :shrug:

:lol: must have missed the neck-thru part, sorry about that.
but yes, a v would help your standing-up technique (if there is such a thing). You could sit with it classical style, but for me personally its uncomfortable and i would rather stand.

Reaction score
yeah I see what you trying to say about the sitting down. But I have played V's at guitar center that way since they dont have straps to try out standing up :lol: and that way actually didnt bother me to much. but then those were only 24.57"-25.5" scales, I'm not sure how a 27"+ scale would feel sitting down, but I'm sure it wouldnt be to much different.

I have played the Ibanez RG2228 at Guitar center also, sitting down. :lol: so the scale length its self sitting or standing is good :lol: also I have tryed the Dean RavorBack bass, that thing is huge 35" scale PLUS the wings of the body :nuts: but I think I would most likely be happy with a 8 string Agile V.

and like I said I know of at least JerkyChid that would love it also :lol:

Deadseen

Reaction score
Yes! if it had a fixed bridge or maybe a Wilkinson.
I either sit or stand when I play and whenever I stand and play I have the guitar in my left hand anyway so a little neckdive means nothing to me.
But what I would really love to see is a Randy Rhodes model, preferable a little bit more stretched out like the ones kxk did. I would like to see the tribal green, blue and red also on the hornet models. Tribal purple with maple board and I would kill a puppy for it.

If there is a god he would make it fanned to, but that might be to much to ask for.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
i like the Hornet alot. i have a 7 string Hornet Pro 725 myself actually.

i just don't see that design translating well into an 8 string :shrug:.

even the 25.5" scale 7 string version is extremely long and pointy, and not the most well balanced guitar out there. i can't imagine playing the 27" scale version, let alone an 8 string version. the thing would barely fit on stage :lol:.

the case for it would be ridiculous too.

so yeah, i wouldn't be interested in one.

alexmurphy

Banned
Reaction score
yeah I see what you trying to say about the sitting down. But I have played V's at guitar center that way since they dont have straps to try out standing up :lol: and that way actually didnt bother me to much. but then those were only 24.57"-25.5" scales, I'm not sure how a 27"+ scale would feel sitting down, but I'm sure it wouldnt be to much different.

I have played the Ibanez RG2228 at Guitar center also, sitting down. :lol: so the scale length its self sitting or standing is good :lol: also I have tryed the Dean RavorBack bass, that thing is huge 35" scale PLUS the wings of the body :nuts: but I think I would most likely be happy with a 8 string Agile V.

and like I said I know of at least JerkyChid that would love it also :lol:

in case you didn't know already, ill state the obvious: playing a v standing up has pretty much the same feeling as playing a regular strat-style guitar standing up. (also, humans need oxygen to survive, we live on earth, and lindasy lohan is a whore). only differences could be the balance, as previously mentioned.

As for the scale, i doubt you will notice a difference at all. I have a 6 string ESP with a 25.5" scale, and both my 7 and 8 strings are 28" scale, and i honestly dont notice a difference at all. i dont think it will affect your playing sitting down or standing up.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
in case you didn't know already, ill state the obvious: playing a v standing up has pretty much the same feeling as playing a regular strat-style guitar standing up. (also, humans need oxygen to survive, we live on earth, and lindasy lohan is a whore). only differences could be the balance, as previously mentioned.

As for the scale, i doubt you will notice a difference at all. I have a 6 string ESP with a 25.5" scale, and both my 7 and 8 strings are 28" scale, and i honestly dont notice a difference at all. i dont think it will affect your playing sitting down or standing up.

i can understand feeling comfortable on different scale lengths, hell i go from 24.75 to 25.5 to 27 to 28.625 scale guitars and 30 plus scale basses regularly, and don't really have any trouble playing wise. but there definitely is a difference there to feel.

i find it hard to believe you can't FEEL a difference at all. not to mention the difference in string tension and tone.

alexmurphy

Banned
Reaction score
i can understand feeling comfortable on different scale lengths, hell i go from 24.75 to 25.5 to 27 to 28.625 scale guitars and 30 plus scale basses regularly, and don't really have any trouble playing wise. but there definitely is a difference there to feel.

i find it hard to believe you can't FEEL a difference at all. not to mention the difference in string tension and tone.

when i was talking about feeling a difference, i just meant fret spacing, how far i have to move my hand to get from this note to that note, etc.

as for the difference in string tension, i do notice that. On the 6 string i currently have, if i tune it to drop d and strum that chord, the D is completely out, because its too floppy to be hit that hard. On my 7, i keep it tuned a step down (ADGCFad) with no problems at all. I could most likely go lower than that without any either, but i have no interest, because i have an 8. The 8 i just found out is only a 27" and if i tune it a step down it does sound a bit boggy. But that doesnt stop me :shred:

Reaction score
Uh-oh, I think I can feel more mock-ups coming on. :lol:
:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:
i hope so :lol: I'd love someone to do at least one mockup. If they are willing to.

and @alexmurphy when I played the RG8 I barely noticed the longer scale my self unless I put it up agaist a 6 string, but it was fun as hell to play at guitar center :shred: it was what made me want an 8 string, But I dont like SS shapes that much :lol:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I've been considering this since I got my intrepid. 2 things:

The body would need to be re-sized to match the neck. I don't know if Kurt would do this.

The probable neck dive issue would need to be addressed somehow.

')