Would you ever go back from 5/6/+ string to 4 string bass?

• Thread starter thedarkoceans
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love my six, honestly, but trying to play any sort of slap bass on it is kinda ridiculous so I switch to my five when I'm starting to feel funky. I don't really play fours often, basses just feel empty to me without that b down there. ):

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Swedjent

Player of the Bass
Reaction score
Although there isn't actually any rational reason for me to prefer four strings I sometimes do. I play a lot of different music, and sometimes a 4string just feels more right than a 5string. I own two basses; one Ibanez SR5 and one Hofner Club, and I wouldn't be able to choose which one I like the most!

On the other hand, fuck that. I'd pick the Hofner anyday unless I'm about to play metal. The ibanez has such a sterile sound that I'd rather cut my arm of than using it for e.g 50's jazz. But for metal it works really great, but as metal is just one of many styles I love it would have to go.

Swedjent

Player of the Bass
Reaction score
But of course, no matter how right it feels playing a 4string, when you suddenly can't fret even a low Eb your head will go boom.

Reaction score
Actually, I honestly would like to have a 4 string and a 6 string.

I would actually LOVE to have all three but I would have a 4 string for Standard/Drop-D tuning and then the 6 string for everything else.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I never owned a 4 string bass before. I've played them and just find that a 5 feels better in my hands. :shrug:

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
I recently got back into Bass. I haven't played a 5-string yet, but I'd really like to. I know the thread question doesn't really apply to me but I'll answer anyway 'cause I'm bored: I don't picture myself ever going back to a 6-string guitar so I imagine if I ever got a 5-string bass, I wouldn't go back to a 4-string. I'm waaaaay too lazy to tune down and I've always been a "One Guitar/Bass To Rule Them All" kinda mang. In conclusion, I think a 5-string bass would reign supreme :fawk:

malice

Lurker
Reaction score
Someone actually asked me this exact question recently and my answer was absolutely not. I've gotten too attached to the low B string.

NeglectedField

Reaction score
I couldn't give up my 5'er. But I'd sure like a 4 or two just for the wonderful simplicity of it all. Every time I play a 4 it's oddly refreshing.

mortality

Reaction score
This thread inspired me to pick up my four string for the first time in about a month. I hated it (probably because I've become used to the flatwounds on my fretless six string). It also felt incredibly tiny. I might even sell the damn thing to get money for a seven-string guitar.

GhostsofAcid

Suiçmez fanboy
Reaction score
I had a five that i sold a few months ago and recently bought a four. I don't really miss the extra string, and I find the four more comfortable.

spudz

Reaction score
Even when it comes to some funky slapping, I would use my 6string. It's just what I'm used to. Else it would be just confusing.

JazzandMetal

Reaction score
I only have a five and have only played a five. I want a four, but don't think I'd use it that much. I want a six more than a four.:yesway:

')