Wound Strings

• Thread starter Eric Christian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone ever mess around and put all wound strings on your 7-String? The thinnest wound string I can find is a 017 so I'm thinking 017-059 maybe just for fun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shenaniganizer

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what wound strings are.

Aren't all strings wound?

lol. Damn, I'm a noob.

Sorry to kinda derail the thread. :(

Goatfork

Reaction score
If you think about the strings on your average 6-string, the first three are usually unwound, or plain. They're just a sings string of metal with no wrapping. The next three are usually wound, meaning there's a plain core and it's wrapped in more string to give it thickness.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I might end up doing this on my 7, as I'm gonna set it up for BEADGCF tuning-but an octave lower, like a 6 string bass with an extra high string.

Self Bias

Banned
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;2190785 said:
I might end up doing this on my 7, as I'm gonna set it up for BEADGCF tuning-but an octave lower, like a 6 string bass with an extra high string.

That makes me feel less, uh, abnormal. I went octave down to E/dropped D on a 6 string LTD. Never even put the 1st and 2cnd string on. Actually playing a show with it tommorrow, doubling the other guitar an octave down. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's a Tues night, not likely the 4 drunks playing vid poker are going to be like "Hey, that's not a bass".
I've been running wound 22s (b) for a 2cnd on a 6 and 3rd on a 7, both in F#, but haven't had the occasion to go all the way to 1st string yet.
If I'm looking at this right, a wound 18 should be real close for that F, although I'd go plain myself. Maybe 19.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
That makes me feel less, uh, abnormal. I went octave down to E/dropped D on a 6 string LTD. Never even put the 1st and 2cnd string on. Actually playing a show with it tommorrow, doubling the other guitar an octave down. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's a Tues night, not likely the 4 drunks playing vid poker are going to be like "Hey, that's not a bass".
I've been running wound 22s (b) for a 2cnd on a 6 and 3rd on a 7, both in F#, but haven't had the occasion to go all the way to 1st string yet.
If I'm looking at this right, a wound 18 should be real close for that F, although I'd go plain myself. Maybe 19.
I've got a six in FCGDAE as well.

')