Wound vs Plain G-string

• Thread starter -TesseracT-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

silbbu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Besides getting chords to sound more in tune, you can also get beefier chugga chugga sounds on a wound G vs plain. So one more string to palm mute on :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
I hate - HATE - plain G strings. I play heavier gauges (the highest tuning I have at the moment is Drop A#), and the beefy-ass G sounds and feels awful when it's plain. Ernie Ball's Beefy Slinky set has that plain G, and it's why I won't buy them for that gauge.

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hate - HATE - plain G strings. I play heavier gauges (the highest tuning I have at the moment is Drop A#), and the beefy-ass G sounds and feels awful when it's plain. Ernie Ball's Beefy Slinky set has that plain G, and it's why I won't buy them for that gauge.
I suggest swapping that Plain G w/ a Wound G of the same gauge.

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
I suggest swapping that Plain G w/ a Wound G of the same gauge.
I could, but I can also just snag a different set that has a wound 3rd, so I don't end up sitting on a big pile of plain 3rd strings :lol: But yeah, hate those plains once it gets heavy enough. On my long scale baritone 6, I don't have any plain strings. They're all round wound.

')