Wraparound style bridge

• Thread starter Oddkid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oddkid

Reaction score
As mentioned before, my girlfriend has a PRS Fredrik Akkeson SE. It's an awesome bit of kit. Recently i had to restring it and i noticed that the wraparound was not flush to the insert posts. There are small allen key bolts (tiny ones) on either side of the bridge and one was screwed in more than the other, offsetting one side of the bridge. The other side was flush.

In a fit of stupidity, absent mindedness, naivety or whatever, i decided to screw the bolt back in to the bridge would sit flush to the posts. I did try afterwards to put it back where it was once i realised i'd just altered the set of the bridge.

It sounds fine but i'm paranoid, has anyone had any experience with wraparound bridges? Should it sit flush to the posts? How should i go about checking the intonation etc from here?

Cheers in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Check harmonics on 12th fret vs fretted notes at same fret, if you need to adjust, slacken the strings, adjust, retune, retest. Do it with a fresh set of strings, take some time, and you can't break anything doing this.

PRS bridges are actually pretty accurate once you have got the top & bottom strings in place, as long as you're using a standard tuning and regular strings.

Oddkid

Reaction score
Should the bridge be flush to the inserts or should there be a gap? It looks like the saddles are adjustable so the intonation should be set there, i couldn't work out why the small allen bolts were there at all.

Reaction score
If the saddles are untouched, find where the intonation on the treble side (high e) is right, then don't touch that side anymore. Then on the bass side (low E) do the same for that string untill that is perfectly intonated. Then go back and forth between treble and bass to check whether the other side is still okay.

mwcarl

Reaction score
Those adjustment bolts are to allow for a little extra intonation room if the saddles cannot be adjusted far enough to lengthen the string. Try to intonate properly with the bridge flush to the posts, if that's not possible then try using the adjustment bolts.

')