Writing Djent?

• Thread starter JamieB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamieB

Reaction score
Recently Being throwing in Djent riffs, left right and centre into my songs but they always seem to have a form of cheeseyness (Cant think of the correct term to use) to them. Anybody got any techniques or ways that they write djent style riffs.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamieB

Reaction score
Nice reply but im not a 0 0 0 person unless its heavily accentuated and beefs up some progressive brilliance.

But thanks for gettin back much apreciated

Tones

Red paperclip trader
Reaction score
0 0 00 000 00000 00000000 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 00 00 0 10100100010010101001010

:yesway:
make sure you have 4 Tubescreamers and at least 3 noise gates.
but really.. you can spice it up with some bends and sudden breaks here and there. i guess :scratch:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I start with clean sections or lead parts, and write djent rhythms over them.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I start with clean sections or lead parts, and write djent rhythms over them.

I'm definately thinking this is the way to go. You probably come from a metal 'write a riff' background like me and are approaching this music the same way.

I'm listenting to a lot of melodic ambient type djent like Chimp Spanner and Jakub Zytecki and definately think the best approach would be to come up with chord progresions on clean guitar or synth pad, or lead melodies. A 'random' (but effective) rhythm can easily be thrown underneath on bass guitar and drums.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
My :2c:

"I wanna write a djent riff here..." is a terrible way of writing music.

Reactions: MJS
Reaction score
I'm definately thinking this is the way to go. You probably come from a metal 'write a riff' background like me and are approaching this music the same way.

I'm listenting to a lot of melodic ambient type djent like Chimp Spanner and Jakub Zytecki and definately think the best approach would be to come up with chord progresions on clean guitar or synth pad, or lead melodies. A 'random' (but effective) rhythm can easily be thrown underneath on bass guitar and drums.

Jakub is much more of a progressive metal musician with a similar tone as those math metal guys..

If you want to learn to write in the style by best suggestion would be to learn some of the most popular artists songs. Obviously that means loads of Periphery.

Quax

Reaction score
My :2c:

"I wanna write a djent riff here..." is a terrible way of writing music.
/sign

You should base your riffs, licks and ideas on you emotions, not the need to write in a certain style and/or getting appreciated. If that comes out as Djent, that's fine, but if it comes out as, well, I don't know, progressive R'n'b - that should be also fine.

Also, just my :2c:

JamieB

Reaction score
Ok to answer everyone im not a metal write a riff guy

Ive never wrote as such a metal song i was brought up on pink floyd so ive always been a progressive writer and usually write things in my head then put in on instruments but thanks for your input i like the idea of working off of a chord progression i do this alot of the time anyway

and i always base my music off of emotions and ways im feeling never to fit a style. My enitial question was how do you guys aproach writing such riffs. I also said that djent riffs are just happening but coming out a little bit cheesey.

and what the hell are the

Thanks to everyone for there input by the way really appreciate it been a n00b to seven string.org

Reaction score
Recently Being throwing in Djent riffs, left right and centre into my songs but they always seem to have a form of cheeseyness (Cant think of the correct term to use) to them. Anybody got any techniques or ways that they write djent style riffs.

How about just play a bunch of completely random notes in odd timings with lots of 1/8 & 1/16 rests and you should be good.

Barney

Reaction score
"djent" is lame. It's a stupid trend that will be over in a few years.
Of course the "genre" will breed some good and original bands, but this kind of attitude
("let's write some djent") won't get you anywhere...

clouds

Reaction score
:agreed:

Didn't even imply that. :lol:
Actually I was referring to you, when you mentioned how wanting to write a djent riff was a bad approach. The op was only asking for tips/guidance, and I got the impression metal isn't a genre he is particularly familiar with writing, as confirmed by a later post. Never mind :shrug:.

Hallic

Got T.I.N.G?
Reaction score
something that fellsilent/monuments do is using some deadnotes rhythmic parts. Other than that: using odd timing can spice it a bit up indeed.:yesway:

Latest posts

')