Writing Djent?

• Thread starter JamieB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamieB

Reaction score
Basically man i try to write stuff over a straight 4/4 beat no odd timings because i like to syncopate the phrasing of riffs over it kind of like meshuggah minus the eight string, i tune my seven to G or G# standard i can't really remember so the strings sound boingy as fuck thanks to my 26.5" scale, dont force it because it takes time and i should know i've been working on a single song for 3 months now, i use a lot of hammer on sort of riffs with off beat tremolo picking as well as using a lot of spamming of the low G/G# open string with single string bends and slides and the hardest part is putting them all together on top of the timing in a "correct" sequence which took me a month to figure out, i hope this helped :shred:

This could possibly be the first straight answer out of them all

thank you very much.

And for people who are picky on grammar its a forum mate not a essay

and tbh some points i do agree with people but jealousy in most cases is the term. Not in ability but alot of stereotypical "METAL" kids hate on things due to the fact that they build up their hatred for everything that isnt their music.

Which isnt cool, and theyre jealous cos theyve dug a hole.

Saying that people follow trends isnt cool either. Like the music! want to play it! isnt that the reason why alot of people started playing in the first place and went the step forwad by getting a ERG.

Some people are just missing point and this has nothing to do with djent or what ever

Thanks alot for all the input guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GTailly

Intellect's Minion
Reaction score
I guess the answer to this thread has a part of natural feeling in music wrtting and a second part wich is more like knowing a basic definition of "Djent" music.

Let me explain the "natural feeling". Actually, I believe djent is just like any other genres of music wich finds its sources in many other styles of music. For instance, I don't think you should try writting it but mainly focus on writting what sounds cool to you and make you feel good. Best way for you to achieve a djenty type of writting? Listen to bands that are classified as "djent" groups. Without even noticing it, you will get more and more influenced by those bands as time goes on.

Second aspect of writting this type of music would be to trully and fully understand its caracteristics in order to be able to play with those.
Look for what is common in this music. I.E different time signature studies and rhythmic progressions. Try experimenting with unusual time signatures you usually wouldn't use. That will help you get even tighter and give such that djenty sound you are looking for. I recommend you have an advanced understanding of music rhythmic figures and time signatures thought.

On another note, I think djent guitars are not really what comes first in writting. There is this whole other atmosphere that should give you the actual and principal feeling of the tune. Then, it is easier to write solid guitar parts over this atmosphere.
I recommend writting the guitars parts with a metronome on for the beginning so that you really are conscious of the tempo and rhythmn going on and can play and twist your mind with it.

Have fun.
:cheers:

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
This could possibly be the first straight answer out of them all

thank you very much.

And for people who are picky on grammar its a forum mate not a essay

and tbh some points i do agree with people but jealousy in most cases is the term. Not in ability but alot of stereotypical "METAL" kids hate on things due to the fact that they build up their hatred for everything that isnt their music.

Which isnt cool, and theyre jealous cos theyve dug a hole.

Saying that people follow trends isnt cool either. Like the music! want to play it! isnt that the reason why alot of people started playing in the first place and went the step forwad by getting a ERG.

Some people are just missing point and this has nothing to do with djent or what ever

Thanks alot for all the input guys.

It's cool man and I agree Djent is a hated genre for one reason: most people in metal can't handle change.

It's the same with the 8 string guitar, people just think it is a fad and will die off soon, if it was a fad then why are all the company's jumping on the 8 string band wagon and making them more affordable to the masses like Agile with their Intrepid or Schecter with their new Omen 8 or even ESP with Stephen Carpenters not even released yet SC 208 you see!

Music is adapting and evolving all the time and the instruments with it, metal has possibly the most subgenre's to date and it is record breaking,
Djent is another step of evolution in metal created in Sweden by the one tone of Meshuggah, their tight and fat yet articulated tone has been recognised by one of the worlds biggest metal bands Metallica and has spawned many acts such as Periphery+Bulb, Tesseract and Vildjharta to name a few.

So don't let a stupid comment take the shine off your day my friend.

Latest posts

')