Writing Djent?

• Thread starter JamieB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZackP3750

Reaction score
Play what sounds good and is fun to play. Don't be intimidated by other music; for the longest time I've been dead-set on metal and writing heavy riffs, but it can get repetitive fast. Just try mixing it up, if you can't come up with something on an ERG, pick up an acoustic and fiddle around, you'd be surprised how your thinking process changes when you switch guitars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tomo009

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to be missing what I think the OP is trying to do.

A lot of it comes from the tone, I'm no regular with the sound, but I believe a lot of it has to do with EQ settings, compression and a heavy picking technique. From there it's mostly just playing any groove that comes into your head. Usually sounds better accompanying a melody or chord progression.

JamieB

Reaction score
The whole lets write some djent attitude thing is not a fad or a trend

If you enjoy a particular style of music and want to play something like then thats cool

but to say its a trend and stuff like that is a bit pathetic to be fair. I imagine someone who would say that is to be a really generic normal musician stuck in there ways who are willing to move with the development of genres and find it sad

I think the people who hate on "Djent" not the onamatapia that everyone refers to but the style of music as in the grooves and chord progressions are just people who are jealous of it and try to hate it to be the diffrent and unique.

Reminds me of when scene and hardcore music came in and everybody hated it but now look everyone is playing it.

Jealousy is a bad thing and everybody should be open to any kind of genre

Me personally i beleive to become a "MUSICIAN" not some idiot hating on other peoples likes, is to enjoy all aspects of music and to love to hear new things which "Djent" or whatever it is becoming is.

Anybody who disagree's please do state your reasons i would love to hear what you have to say

:D

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Did I get here in time to argue about Djent?! Just kidding! :lol:

If you are thinking that the riffs are coming off cheesy... maybe its not the riff so much as the placement. It's possible that what you are hearing in your head is not what is coming out of the amp. I would back away from the tune and ask yourself what the song needs. Maybe it doesn't need a dose of djent djent djent at all.

Its hard from this end to know what it is about the section that is coming off as cheesy without hearing it. Maybe you can provide a link for us...

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
Meh, I do think Djent is kinda a trend. Someone figured out how to play something a bit differently and people liked it. It's gonna get old after a while. That said, it works well in certain amounts but if you do a whole song in just Djent then it's boring as fack. Animals as Leaders does a good job using Djent tastefully.

a1a2a3a4

Banned
Reaction score
To me a djent groove should be just like a bass line. It should go right along with the drums. When I listen for good djent, I listen for creativity the more complex the better. If i'm sitting there and trying to figure out what the fuck the dude is doing on the drums i'm probably going to like it. That's of course if it's acoustic drumming.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I think the people who hate on "Djent" not the onamatapia that everyone refers to but the style of music as in the grooves and chord progressions are just people who are jealous of it and try to hate it to be the diffrent and unique.

I think that people who get overly butthurt by people not liking [controversial new sub-genre] are front-running bandwagoneers who are jealous of the people comfortable enough in their musicianship to not have to kiss the ass of every single god-damned "new thing" in music for fear of being ostracized for not saying "ooh, me too" fast enough.

:lol: Okay, I don't really mean that (totally), but see where glib characterizations get you?

Advice for the OP- the best way to learn to write like a certain type of music is to just listen to it and learn the "logic" behind the structures and musical ideas.

Katrina

Sadist
Reaction score
Listen to atonal classical pieces, djent seems to have a lot in common with them, apart from using different default instruments.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
"djent" is lame. It's a stupid trend that will be over in a few years.

People have been saying that for a few years now... And it's only getting bigger, see Periphery. I don't personally like djent, but we can't deny that it is on a rise, not a fall.

Reminds me of when scene and hardcore music came in and everybody hated it but now look everyone is playing it.

Jealousy is a bad thing and everybody should be open to any kind of genre

Me personally i beleive to become a "MUSICIAN" not some idiot hating on other peoples likes, is to enjoy all aspects of music and to love to hear new things which "Djent" or whatever it is becoming is.

Anybody who disagree's please do state your reasons i would love to hear what you have to say

:D

Aside from the bad grammar and spelling, I disagree with your point.

1- Just because everyone is playing scenecore doesn't make scenecore less awful.

2- The whole "jealousy" argument is, in my opinion, pointless. Why would anyone hate a genre out of jealousy? It's not like you even hate a particular band, but an entire genre in itself.

"I hate tech death because they play their instruments better than I ever can" I've never heard anyone say something like this.

3- I can understand people disliking something popular, because it's a hipster thing to do, but using the word jealousy just takes it all out of context, I don't think jealousy has anything to do with it.

4- Me and many others hate most djent because (talking about bad djent here) it's only a small step up from scenecore, especially your average run-of-the-mill djent is really uninspired (as someone jokingly stated above, 000 000 000 010 000 00) and everybody says it's the best thing since the invention of fire in spite of that. Just write a "mathy" breakdown (fill a bar with 16th notes of zeros in guitar pro, and then insert random rests), and then take a 7th chord or something and arpeggiate the chord over 4 bars of "mathiness". That's what most djent bands amount to, and everyone thinking it's awesome or new is what pisses most people off.

To contrast, good djent can be really good, just like many other genres. Good music is usually good regardless of genre. Bad music is bad regardless of genre, but when people mention djent, they usually mean the generic bands, not the unique artists like the one I've posted below or Chimp Spanner or Zytecki or AAL.

Here's an example of good djent I just encountered today in the general music forum here:

Link to thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/general-music-discussion/143496-who-what.html

Listen to things that aren't djent for inspiration.

Nailed it. If you listen to Djent to write Djent, it will be uninspired. You need to take in different sounds and make your own.

gr8Har V

dimini....
Reaction score
it should come naturally. play what ever you would normally play and trow in heavy palm mutes and accentations. you could also learn some keih merrow :metal:

Demiurge

Reaction score
2- The whole "jealousy" argument is, in my opinion, pointless. Why would anyone hate a genre out of jealousy? It's not like you even hate a particular band, but an entire genre in itself.

The accusation of jealousy seems to be one of the oldest tropes associated with arguing music on the internetz. I've been on the internet for a long time, so I'm sure in some remote internet cache, my apparent jealousy of Mark Tremonti, Kirk Hammett, and Fred Durst is well-documented. :lol:

The funny thing is, the only time I find myself jealous of an artist is when it's part of my admiration of them: "damn, I wish I came up with that!" I have no quarrel with any so-called djent artists out there- they do what they do and that's cool if they're happy; however, I'm terribly, horribly green-in-the-fucking-face jealous of artists like Steve Wilson and Trent Reznor because their raw talent, work ethic, and awesome ideas are equally humbling and inspiring.

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
Of course the "genre" will breed some good and original bands, but this kind of attitude
("let's write some djent") won't get you anywhere...
That's what my guitarist is doing, we're supposed to have a foundation in doom metal and him and the bass player wrote a catchy djent song. At first they were joking about it but then they got serious. It fucking sucks. I'm hoping this flavor of the week fucking dies already. I'm not hating on the genre at all. I fucking love tesseract and I appreciate the talent that goes into writing djent but when it starts affecting my band and our music then it becomes personal. It sucks because my band members are all open minded and are willing to try different shit, on one hand it's awesome that they are but on the other hand it's not awesome because you write music that just doesn't fit with anything else you write. When you pop everything on a cd or play them live you have 5 songs that are similar in style and one curve ball that makes the listener go "WTF?" Plus the fact that everyone and their mom is all about djent makes it worse. I am just not a fan of the "I'm gonna write a complex and technical riff for the sake of it": 000 00 0 10 0 00 1 1 0 1010 1 0 10 101 0 00 10 1 ^^0 1 00022 020300^ 10 10 30

That's exactly the shit my guitarist does at practice. When he finishes setting up the first riff that he plays is some open note chuggy nu metal sounding "jump da fuck up" riff other wise known as "djent":wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Universe74

Reaction score
Of course the "genre" will breed some good and original bands, but this kind of attitude
("let's write some djent") won't get you anywhere...

I wish the same could be said about 'pop'.

JamieB

Reaction score
I think that people who hate on djent shouldnt bother looking at the djent threads

cos know one will ever agree its music ffs so know one will ever agree.
Everyone should agree to disagree

And thanks for some of the comments intresting to see your views on it?

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Listen to atonal classical pieces, djent seems to have a lot in common with them, apart from using different default instruments.
And for some inspiration in the rhythm department listen to some Stravinsky. "Rite Of Spring" is probably the best example to follow for djent stuff, and try some of Schoenberg's 12 note tonerow system or Jarbonzeck's "Circle Of 12 Tones" on for size for some rather different approaches to note chioce.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
Recently Being throwing in Djent riffs, left right and centre into my songs but they always seem to have a form of cheeseyness (Cant think of the correct term to use) to them. Anybody got any techniques or ways that they write djent style riffs.

Basically man i try to write stuff over a straight 4/4 beat no odd timings because i like to syncopate the phrasing of riffs over it kind of like meshuggah minus the eight string, i tune my seven to G or G# standard i can't really remember so the strings sound boingy as fuck thanks to my 26.5" scale, dont force it because it takes time and i should know i've been working on a single song for 3 months now, i use a lot of hammer on sort of riffs with off beat tremolo picking as well as using a lot of spamming of the low G/G# open string with single string bends and slides and the hardest part is putting them all together on top of the timing in a "correct" sequence which took me a month to figure out, i hope this helped :shred:

Latest posts

')