Writing some Deathcore

• Thread starter Augury
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
if you wanna make your breakdowns better buy a decent metronome (one where u can tap it and it will lock in on the desired tempo) add some dissonant chords (my have is to fret the b string @ the 5th fret and the g string @ the 8th fret... Thats a movable shape so you can move it around to suit the scale/ key that the song is in) and write in weird time sigs with a few chugs on the up beat instead of the down beat and extra hits where you normally wouldn't think to put them. Just doing this can make a dull average death core breakdown into a cool prog breakdown. Veil of Maya loves to do stuff like this. also mix dirty chords (if your in drop a then fret the a string @ the first fret and then play the e string open) at odd intervals in your breakdowns.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oliviergus

Djentiver Gustafsson
Reaction score
I play in a deathcore kind of band, but we doesn't really sound like a typical deathcore band.
It looks like you already have locked your self in a box, thinking that it should sound like this.

Try to get some unique into your music as many other above me said, there are far tooo many talking shit about deathcore. So lets try to fix that with some different sounding deathcore.

It was good to be done only playing for 1,5 years, but you can almost hear whats coming next. In my opinion it was boring, but ive been listening to Meshuggah/Periphery/Monuments/Vildhjarta/Veil Of Maya for a while now...
So that may be why haha.

Tho, good start. Try to make some more unique sounding and not keeping this deathcore image to the death.

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
I like several of your riffs and sections. I'd say arrangement is the killer here.

Your first riff (and the drums behind it) build to a certain level of intensity, then abruptly you ruin that with a breakdown. Do your sick, br00tuhl breakdown LATER, after you've done some cool shit, not during the crucial first 30 seconds of a song, or as a transition between riffs. Use it to BUILD intensity, not accidentally sabotage it. Creeping Death is a perfect example of this. The breakdown is one of the best parts of the song, but if they'd put it at the front indstead of at 3:38, it would be gay as hell.

This is the main reason I dislike deathcore, as they seem to lack an awareness of intensity as a songwriting principle. Look at your favorite songs and make a graph of the intensity level of the song. Some sections are higher than others and this tends to have a flow.

summit101

Reaction score
for deathcore i will always suggest "the somatic defilement" from whitechapel and all the first releases of suicide silence particularly "destrustion of a statue." for initial influences

this gets more into the genres of perhaps "grindcore." although "the somatic defilement" is hands down the most notorious influence on the whole "deathcore" fadd thats going on today.. they were pretty much the first to make that sound and make it big.

also for that harmony added by PollutedSanctum, you will find that exact same sound in almost every song off the somatic defilement. that harmony is your key for sounding brutal. but its better not to keep that harmony limited to the lower register of the neck. hence why whitechapel plays with three guitarist and are playing those harmonies in 3 part sequences.

odd time signatures make things interesting also. check out the band "A Black Rose Burial" theyre somewhat technical but thats why they dont get borring. they use backing tracks and samples which gives an ambient atmosphere, trust me this can give your music a completely different aspect of "musical tension" http://www.myspace.com/ablackroseburial

check out the band "fractals" theyre pretty unknown. (example.2 of odd time signatures, and adding backing tracks)
http://fractalsmetal.bandcamp.com/

one last thing, you dont write music, the music writes through you. if you dont think about it you will just feel how the song should go accordingly.

good luck! "stay brutal" "stay grind.."

summit101

Reaction score
oh yeah for drums. listen to (the somatic defilement) how kevin lane adds variation to his drum parts. if you listen to prosthetic fluid asphyxiation. he never repeats a single drum part, not once. listen for that and how variation keep the whole picture interesting.

drums are pretty important with any band, doesnt matter what genre your playing, if the drums aren't tight. your band will never be tight....

and when your writing music. you need to be listening to music constantly. and listen to many different kinds of music. the somatic defilement has a violin piece for an outro for heck sakes!!

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
Write what you want to write. If you feel happy and proud ov what you've created, bloody well run with it.

If you get other people appreciating it, well that's a bonus :hbang:

P.s. Consant sweeping =/= instant gratification or fans or good music. Malmsteen = Asshat

')