Writing songs need help

• Thread starter Dr Muerte21
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Muerte21

Death From Above
Reaction score
Not sure this is the right spot to put it at but here it goes.So i found a drum and we were jamming yesterday to get the feel how we play which turn out good. My question is when writing songs do I write riffs first then he adds his drum riffs to it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
If that's what works well for your pairing then yes. He might prefer you to write some rough drum parts, if you're able to, so he has an idea of how you hear it in your head. You could come up with a drum part he doesn't like, and he could as well. Just need to work together to find what works best for your group dynamic.

davidsantana27

Reaction score
It depends how you like it. In my old band we were making songs together on rehearsals, showing ideas and discussing them. In my current band, I just write things on my own, basic drums as well, I send that stuff to other guys, listen to their suggestions (usually 'awesome, keep it like this') and that's how it is. It works really well. Good luck!

Francis978

Reaction score
If that's what you feel like doing!

Usually when I write music for my band, I write some guitar parts, and then I throw together a drum part that fits, and show my drummer, and he will listen, jam on the idea, and then make it fit him more, change it up a little. Afterwards I listen to what he has, and then I figure out where to go from there for each riff, sometimes I even change my playing up a bit because I think of something cooler due to his revised drum part.

Essentially, I write all the music for my band (both guitar parts, bass parts etc.) and we just show each other recordings, and then a song is complete.

Pretty much what the guys said up above, essentially all I am saying is just write something, and try to explain what you hear in your head, and see where your drummer goes with it. In can even inspire you!

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to write a basic idea of how you would like drums in the stuff you write. At the same time, if you are not comfortable with that then let him work his end to match what you have.
Ask him if he has anything specific he has in mind so you can work around those ideas. This covers both drum parts and any ideas he might have for guitar rifts, especially if he also plays guitar.
And don't forget to consider writing together at the same time, he might be able to give you the feedback and ideas you need as you are writing before you get attached to a idea.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
On the flip side, don't be afraid to ask him if he has any sick beats he's been working on. Most drummers I've worked with have some really creative rhythm ideas that I can write riffs over. That way it's more of a 2 way street when writing. Also remember that humans, as a species, developed rhythmic ideas long before we developed melodies, harmonies, dissonance, whatever. A lot of times, writing off the drummer leads to some pretty cool stuff.

Latest posts

')