WTB a 7 again, want to share your thoughts?

neurosis

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I had to sell my RG1527 for quick cash a while ago. IT was the only thing getting the bigger offers so it had to go.

Now I find mysellf on the search for a new 7.

I have been checking out different 7 models for the past weeks and so far the ones I like the most are:

Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (I love the maple neck!)
LTD SC607B (fairly comparable to my Horizon in terms of comfort, obviously with a few differences)

I have also checcked out the Hellraiser C7 and other diamond series but if I had to go with Schecter I really love the Loomis.

I just wanted to know what you guys think of these two beasts. I am not looking for any more expensive guitars right now and the ones I tried were really nicely built and finished.

I have heard that some people have had issues witht he frets and sometimes the electronics on their LTDs and Schecters. So far what I have tried was neat and sounded really powerful.

I also checked out the Ibanez IBANEZ RGD7320Z but I am not really a tremolo fan and my old 1527 was a bit of a pain in the ass due to that.

It would be cool to know if you have some of these and if you have modded or changed something on them to make them better.

Just wanted some imput to make up my mind in things I may have overlooked when trying them out.

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Felvin

Friesian Hamburger
Reaction score
If by checking out you mean you actually tested the Loomis NT then it's okay, go ahead and buy what you like to play. I got a 1527 and a Loomis NT here and just today I took pictures of the Loomis for selling it on ebay. ;)

The Loomis is a real beauty and I tried and tried to adapt to the thicker neck, the longer scale (--> tighter strings, 9ers) and the f***ing HUGE frets but... it has to go. I just hate to play it.

Reaction score
RG7621/RG7421/RG7421XL/Apex II maybe?

I think the Loomis is fine, does anyone know how many black ones were made?

EJA

Reaction score
You may want to look into an Agile. They're super affordable, and while I can't speak on behalf of their playability, worth, etc. PLENTY of people here can tell you how much they love their Agiles.

Try the LTD before you spend the cash; that middle pickup might just be enough to drive you nuts. Some people can't stand it.

I've played some Schecter 7 strings before, and they're all fantastic guitars. The neck is a bit beefy, but that's my only complaint--and if I weren't satisfied with the guitars I currently own, I'd certainly consider a Schecter.

Of course if you like Horizons.....
The ESP Guitar Company | 2011 USA Website
Horizon-NT-7_BLK.jpg

A tad on the pricey side...but it IS a Horizon 7!

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Ibanez RGD7321/RG7321 :agreed:

I owned a hellraiser C7 for a week and did not enjoy the neck or EMGs. I traded it back and purchased a RGD7321... best choice ever. Also, its not as pricy as other 7s and easily customizable.

neurosis

Reaction score
Try the LTD before you spend the cash; that middle pickup might just be enough to drive you nuts. Some people can't stand it.

What do you mean exactly with this? I assume you are talking about the older model with the Duncans and the single in the middle position? Or do you mean the oddly positioned "neck-pickup"? IF it's a matter of sound it may be a problem, but I think if it's the position it is something I can get used to easily.

That Horizon is a stunning instrument. But I already have a high end guitar and this sevenstring venture is more of a on the side thing for me. I don't want a crappy guitar but I won't step over the 1000€ mark with this purchase. In fact, if I can get a second hand for not more than 600€, that would be the best case scenario.

I am strongly tending towards the Loomis and the SC because they made the best overall impression when I tried them and I don't think I will be able to find a 1527 for as cheap as I sold mine :wallbash:

I don't know anybody close that has an Agile and could let me try it nor do they have them in the stores. I don't think I will go with the buying blindly option. But your suggestions are great!

I just wanted to know if somebody has taken the Loomis or the SC and modded them.

About the neck width on the Loomis I will agree that it feels bigger than other models, but I have big hands so I can't really see myself frustrated with that.

I will defenetely look around for the RG7021, for the prize it seems to be a reasonable option.

Cheers!

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
Those LTD's are some of the worst guitars i've played. Of course that's just my opinion, but if i'd have to choose between LTD SC and Schecter Jeff Loomis, i'd go with the Schecter. Even though i didn't like it's rounded neck when i tried one. I feel like Ibby 7's are the only way to go for me.

That being said, i'd recommend the RGD7320Z, RG7621, or the 1527. Im sure you can find one for a good price.

Kabstract

Flamenco is cool
Reaction score
Those LTD's are some of the worst guitars i've played. Of course that's just my opinion, but if i'd have to choose between LTD SC and Schecter Jeff Loomis, i'd go with the Schecter. Even though i didn't like it's rounded neck when i tried one. I feel like Ibby 7's are the only way to go for me.

That being said, i'd recommend the RGD7320Z, RG7621, or the 1527. Im sure you can find one for a good price.

Must have been some defective or poorly setup LTDs. I mean, you might just not like the neck etc., but worst guitars you've played? That seems like a bit of stretch.

Felvin

Friesian Hamburger
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if somebody has taken the Loomis or the SC and modded them.

The only mod on my Loomis is the 18V EMG mod and it sounds muuuuuch better. I'd recommend to swap the volume knob and PU-switch, too.

EJA

Reaction score
What do you mean exactly with this? I assume you are talking about the older model with the Duncans and the single in the middle position? Or do you mean the oddly positioned "neck-pickup"? IF it's a matter of sound it may be a problem, but I think if it's the position it is something I can get used to easily.

SC-607B_BLK.jpg

I happen to be very similar with getting used to position. Unless a guitar is designed with the intent to annoy me, I can pretty much adjust to electronic, pickup, or bridge configuration. Some people aren't like that however.

Most people aren't used to a humbucker in the middle position--so that's one thing.

The other is sound. I can't speak on behalf of how that middle pickup sounds--though I'm sure some folks on here can.

Best bet is to go out and try one if you can.

And if you can score a used RG7621/7421, GO FOR IT! Great quality, and with the prices they tend to go for used, a Steal!

Best of luck!

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
Must have been some defective or poorly setup LTDs. I mean, you might just not like the neck etc., but worst guitars you've played? That seems like a bit of stretch.

I have tried plenty of them. I've even owned couple LTD 6-strings, and friend of mine has one. Maybe i went a bit far by saying they're the worst i've ever played, but they certainly aren't far from it either. More than the neck, the build quality is the issue i would say.

neurosis

Reaction score
I happen to be very similar with getting used to position. Unless a guitar is designed with the intent to annoy me, I can pretty much adjust to electronic, pickup, or bridge configuration. Some people aren't like that however.

Most people aren't used to a humbucker in the middle position--so that's one thing.

The other is sound. I can't speak on behalf of how that middle pickup sounds--though I'm sure some folks on here can.

Best bet is to go out and try one if you can.

And if you can score a used RG7621/7421, GO FOR IT! Great quality, and with the prices they tend to go for used, a Steal!

Best of luck!

I'll look for the 7621/7421 and see if I can score one for cheap. But I see you used to have a Loomis. How did you like it? I read at some point you had some problems with the action and the height of the tremolo. How did you solve it? Was it an issue from factory. i really liked the one I played in the store but it was a hardtail and the action was really low to be honest.

Cheers! And thanks for the posts guys, you're helping a lot.:hbang:

EJA

Reaction score
But I see you used to have a Loomis. How did you like it? I read at some point you had some problems with the action and the height of the tremolo. How did you solve it? Was it an issue from factory. i really liked the one I played in the store but it was a hardtail and the action was really low to be honest.

Cheers! And thanks for the posts guys, you're helping a lot.:hbang:

:scratch:
are you referring to me?
I've never actually owned a schecter guitar. Came close a few times, and played them quite a bit. (a former student of mine has a C7 Schecter; awesome axe)

As far as fixing the height of the trem: usually that's fixed by screwing the anchors deeper into the body. Or sometimes a truss adjustment will move the action more comfortably.

neurosis

Reaction score
Haha!

I think it must have been someone with your same profile picture then! By the way, just checked your youtube channel and yur stuff is good, man!

Have a nice day!

:scratch:
are you referring to me?
I've never actually owned a schecter guitar. Came close a few times, and played them quite a bit. (a former student of mine has a C7 Schecter; awesome axe)

As far as fixing the height of the trem: usually that's fixed by screwing the anchors deeper into the body. Or sometimes a truss adjustment will move the action more comfortably.

theicon2125

Reaction score
I have a Loomis NT and I absolutely love it. It took me a while to eq my amp to get used to the EMGs but since u have a horizon then you are probably used to the EMG sound.

I don't know what people are talking about when they say it has a huge neck, at the 12th fret my Loomis is literally the size of a quarter from top of the fretboard to the back of the neck.

The only thing I would ever change on it is the maple fretboard, but that is just because I like the feel of Ebony (however since buying this guitar maple is really starting to grow on me)

neurosis

Reaction score
I played another Loomis yesterday and all I can say is it was a decent guitar. For some reason, though it was much lighter than the other ones I have tried and it had a higher action and feel to it. The neck was apparently thinner? I don't know, it seems to be a real hit or miss with this model.

Are the Diamond series manufactured in the same factory as the LTD and other Schecters? The body cut is very similar on all of these guitars. Only the necks and wood selection seem to vary from one model to the other.

Is the Loomis really crafted? Like the japanese fenders for example? Or is it a productiion line kinda thing like some of the cheaper Ibanez series.

I have been offered a Universe UV777 in perfect condition, production year 2007 for 900 euros. I may jump on it after the holidays. I have yet to try it but I don't expect much of a difference from any other high grade Ibanez i have tried.

Still watching out for stuff. I am even thinking of selling my SG and using it as funding for a RGD 7 string.
:hbang:

Reaction score
Schecters are hit or miss.

I returned two Hellraiser C7's, and plan on getting a third. They just didn't play well after a setup, because of high frets, or a poorly cut nut. The design is great but you need to find a good one.

That happens with Korean guitars sometimes.

')