WTF is this sh*t?

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ya know..this whole rise of "ultra technical 1292 string guitar death metal" is just getting seriously out of hand. What in the good name of fuck is this shit? This has got to be some of the most non-musical "music" I've ever heard. These kids need to stop hanging out on forums and listen to some SRV, Jimi Hendrix, Suffocation, Morbid Angel, and a few other bands. This sounds like a Nintendo on crack..and the bassist.........ugh..somebody go help those kids.

Do people even remember what riffs and song structures are? Is the goal now to just have a million strings on a guitar and/or bass so you can cram as many notes in to each second of a song as your fingers will allow to the point that you couldn't even hum the songs because they make little to no sense and fail to be interesting to anyone besides the "moar because moar" crowd?

And just to wash all that nonsense from your ears..here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
i actually like it... its the same wave as braindrill and maybe beneath the massacre... for me its just the opposite of punk, there you have 3 powerchors in a song, here its...yeah, more ^^

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me too much, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How dare those young wippersnappers make music they enjoy! They should make music I enjoy. Fucking assholes. :rofl:

Inazone

Reaction score
For real. Friends of mine are always saying "you'll love this band" and go so far as to burn me a CD of some so-called technical death metal WANKING that's as offensive to my ears as a lot of `80s glam rock whammy bar abuse. It's like there is this rebellion against any sort of traditional song structure or even the slightest influence of melody.

Gotta have dynamics. Peaks and valleys, people! I miss the good ol' days when "heavy" was a product of awesome riffs and interplay between musicians, not tuning down as low as possible and cramming everything together, compressed to hell to get any sort of tightness.

Necrophagist777

can't bend....
Reaction score
Yea it's not really cup of tea either, I like me some groove in my tech death/death metal (Dying Fetus etc.), but seriously no reason to bash on them. I'd never wanna play that type of stuff but they can so more power to em :)

GeoMantic

Reaction score
While stuff like that isn't exactly my favorite thing in the world,

I still prefer that to the pentatonic "let me make a retarded face everytime I bend a note" 12 bar blues stuff that makes 12 year old kids and 40 year old men think that they don't ever need to improve.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gotta have dynamics. Peaks and valleys, people! I miss the good ol' days when "heavy" was a product of awesome riffs and interplay between musicians, not tuning down as low as possible and cramming everything together, compressed to hell to get any sort of tightness.

The thing is, there's plenty of bands out there that are doing just that. It's just, as you pointed out "old". While I'm not saying I enjoy this style of music, I can see why there are those out there that would.

After hearing bands like Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Nile, Hate Eternal, etc. for decades as well as the thousands of bands they influenced and who copy them, I can see how something COMPLETELY different would be enticing.

Different strokes for different folks, and the existence of this music isn't going to make the music you enjoy disappear by default.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I completely agree with Drakkar, death metal is definitely shooting off in a tangent that is heading in a bad direction.

Tech style riffing can be ok when used in moderation, for example, "Seven", "Epitaph" and "Onset of putrefaction" by Necrophagist, but even that band gets it wrong far more often than they get it right. If death metal has to be techy, then newer bands should look towards Hate Eternal - techy parts married with strong, heavy rhythms, actual song structures and memorable riffs and lines, not just spazzc0re shite.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Someones gotta do it.

But it does sound mindless at best. I am happy they are paying attention to music theory but that is a futile effort since they are changing modes continuously making their music sound like nothing.

Atleast meshuggah does that on purpose.

Reaction score
I completely agree with Drakkar, death metal is definitely shooting off in a tangent that is heading in a bad direction.

Tech style riffing can be ok when used in moderation, for example, "Seven", "Epitaph" and "Onset of putrefaction" by Necrophagist, but even that band gets it wrong far more often than they get it right. If death metal has to be techy, then newer bands should look towards Hate Eternal - techy parts married with strong, heavy rhythms, actual song structures and memorable riffs and lines, not just spazzc0re shite.
I agree. Nothing wrong with being out there on guitar but a song is a song. The most memorable riffs of all time are all stuff that's simple..stuff you can hum..and stuff that's appreciated not just by tech-heads and musicians, but by everyone. Technicality doesn't equal good songwriting and good songwriting doesn't equal technicality. When people are "too smart for their own good" involving songs and it becomes a non-memorable emotionless blur. Emotion, feel, and what people take from a riff is what makes a song great.

I'll just leave this here.

Actually I'd consider this a good example of a technical type song done right. You can hum it, follow along, and it's still trippy.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score

:agreed:

I can't get into music that is over the top tech death, I need some memorable grooves or riffs, some melody even.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I cannot stand this shit. Props for having to skills to play all that. But, that shit just ain't listenable to me.

This "Uber-Tech-Death-Super-Nintendo" music is taking over all that is well thought out and heartfelt.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
WTF is right! The bass is not supposed to have more strings than the guitar! That guy needs an 11 string guitar!

')