WTF is this sh*t?

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky_Gallows

lyketotallybrashdude
Reaction score
i actually like it... its the same wave as braindrill and maybe beneath the massacre... for me its just the opposite of punk, there you have 3 powerchors in a song, here its...yeah, more ^^

:yesway: I couldn't listen to it everyday. Its def a band I'd be like "hey look what i found!"

but I agree with you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
To OP:

You know, Viraemia are kind of a respected band in some circles, and they can play the fuck out of their instruments. I personally don't like them, but the way your post is worded makes you sound like an old man disapproving something that is new out of fear of change; or a scene kid who listens to Attack Attack! hating on old school death metal. You may not like the music, but at least appreciate their playing or something. And the number of strings in your instrument does not make you better or worse. There are awful bands that use 6,7,8 strings.

At least they know how to play, and understand theory, unlike most recent bands who go bree bree breakdown keyboard.

I don't like Viraemia, but the way your post and thread title is worded really ticked me off.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
For real. Friends of mine are always saying "you'll love this band" and go so far as to burn me a CD of some so-called technical death metal WANKING that's as offensive to my ears as a lot of `80s glam rock whammy bar abuse. It's like there is this rebellion against any sort of traditional song structure or even the slightest influence of melody.

Gotta have dynamics. Peaks and valleys, people! I miss the good ol' days when "heavy" was a product of awesome riffs and interplay between musicians, not tuning down as low as possible and cramming everything together, compressed to hell to get any sort of tightness.

:yesway:

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
In your reality, that nile song is a song, in my reality it sounds like a colaboration of badly excuted riffs that have been badly organised... BUT that doesn't mean i don't appreciate what they are doing.

Music doesn't have a formula, it can be to the depths of your imagination, and further. Let everyone do what they want to do and then like what you want to like!

I do completely agree with you about simple is memorable and it gives others the opportunity to enjoy it to, but not everyone writes for other people, some people write for themselves.

Music is a language, it's a way of speaking, some people speak faster, some people speak more pronouned, some speak in monotone etc. If everything was the same, there wouldn't be room for expansion.

This crazy technical stuff will probably open a doorway for something you will enjoy.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Emotion, feel, and what people take from a riff is what makes a song great.

And emotion is completely and utterly subjective. So, is feel. You can't say, "There's no feeling in this so it sucks." It just doesn't work.

I don't enjoy music like this at all. But I'm sure that somebody out there is getting something out of it.

Or maybe the musician's are just having fun express themselves technically. Or maybe music like this isn't about feeling or whatever but is more about energy and intensity. Nothing wrong with that either. Not everything needs to be or even should be dripping with emotion.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
While stuff like that isn't exactly my favorite thing in the world,

I still prefer that to the pentatonic "let me make a retarded face everytime I bend a note" 12 bar blues stuff that makes 12 year old kids and 40 year old men think that they don't ever need to improve.

nothing wrong w/ pentatonics either... there's a member here, dhalif. ask him about the pentatonics... :yesway:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
And emotion is completely and utterly subjective. So, is feel. You can't say, "There's no feeling in this so it sucks." It just doesn't work.

I don't enjoy music like this at all. But I'm sure that somebody out there is getting something out of it.

Or maybe the musician's are just having fun express themselves technically. Or maybe music like this isn't about feeling or whatever but is more about energy and intensity. Nothing wrong with that either. Not everything needs to be or even should be dripping with emotion.

not this again... :rolleyes:

suffo20

Reaction score
I say save the solo work for the solos. I dont mind putting or listening to songs that have those things in there every now and then but not constantly. I used to want to play that all the time but now im going back to my roots and writing stuff that is meaningful and not just a blur. I want the crowd to mosh when I play my songs on stage. I want the people in the crowd that r not musicians to understand whats going on musically. Ill throw in some sweeps and do lead lines within the rythymic structure within the song here and there but its got to flow and not do it constantly.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I hate the discussion of feeling...

One's inability to feel something does not denote an inherent absence of "feeling"...

End of story

Furthermore, unless you're reading the artist(s)'s thought process as you listen to the music you can neither confirm nor deny the conveyance of the "feeling" in question. Even if such a scenario *were* possible the determination of whether or not the appropriate feelings were conveyed accurately is still completely subjective.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I was gonna make a long post about it, but I just don't feel like it right now.

Simply put... ALL music should be full of emotion. Whatever emotion that is. Why even play music if you just base everything you do off scales and theory? That's more like work, as opposed to doing what you love.

$0.02

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
LOL I love music forums. Every argument ends up with the same conclusion: "DUDE! Its all subjective anyways!" "We're all right!"

Fuck that. There are clear lines of taste that are being abused here. They're great players but shitty artists. If I wanted a painter to capture a picture I would just fucking buy a camera.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was gonna make a long post about it, but I just don't feel like it right now.

Simply put... ALL music should be full of emotion. Whatever emotion that is. Why even play music if you just base everything you do off scales and theory? That's more like work, as opposed to doing what you love.

$0.02

Unless you love theory.

Just saying. :)

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Unless you love theory.

Just saying. :)

I absolutely cannot argue with that. Well played, sir.

Myself, I just love music. Fuck theory dependency, basing your solo off of chords and scales. Nah, play what sounds good. (Not that I never use theory and shit, but it doesn't run my music ya know?)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
since when are loving theory and loving music mutually exclusive? it seems everyone is trying to make clear divides in something that's abstract. just let it be...

nothing against you, Drak, but starting a thread on a negative note (like bashing someone's playing style) the way you did can only lead to a flame war no matter how objectively the majority of the forum members *try* to be about it. moreover, as has been stated already, the conclusion is always the same. opinions are like assholes...

willyman101

Reaction score
While stuff like that isn't exactly my favorite thing in the world,

I still prefer that to the pentatonic "let me make a retarded face everytime I bend a note" 12 bar blues stuff that makes 12 year old kids and 40 year old men think that they don't ever need to improve.

This is annoyingly ignorant; it's just that attitude that metalheads have towards the blues where they think it's simple and just get completely the wrong idea. Yeah, plenty of bluesmen slate shred for lacking 'emotion' but I assure you the blues is a lot more complex than you think. There are plenty of shit blues players out there, but there's guys like the aforementioned SRV who are just mind blowing, I'd take him over any shredder any day of the week because more often than not it's a million times more tasteful. And really, a big bend is more of a cause to make a face than sweeping like crazy...

Also since when are most 12 year olds into blues?

I'm gonna add that the band in those vids are abysmal. Who could possibly want to listen to that? I genuinely can't imagine how someone can listen and go "hmm, this is great! I'm going to listen to this on the bus!" It's not even subjective really, this stuff is just straight up turd.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Nuhn uh! Thats subjective and anecdotal!^^ Bwhahahaha this entire thread is pointless.

I actually agree with you, JSYK. There has been some truth to every argument so far...

Fred

Reaction score
fail to be interesting to anyone besides the "moar because moar" crowd?

You somewhat ruined your argument there... What on earth is the problem if other people are digging on this kind of stuff? Hell, even if no-one apart from the band is digging on it, as long as the band are then who cares? Why is your dislike of the music they're creating somehow more important then the enjoyment they get from making it? I don't really enjoy this stuff either, other than very tenuously through an appreciation of the technical talent involved in playing it.

Why aren't you making similar posts about other kinds of music which you feel equally strongly disinclined towards? The fact that this stuff might be more closely related to a preferred genre of yours than, say, Brokencyde, is irrelevant unless you have some bizarrely vain fear that the existence of such music will somehow affect your carefully-acquired image as a metalhead or similar.

What gives you the sense of inflated self-importance that makes you feel compelled to tell these people what kind of music they should listen to? Hell, for all you know, their influences might be far more diverse than your narrow mind could possibly conceive. As far as I can see it, these guys don't need help - they seem to be doing just fine on their own. I think they'd be far more within their rights to suggest you get some help to realise that actually your opinions might not be gospel, God forbid.

I don't mean a personal attack, I'm just trying to point out the fallacies to your argument. Well, that's unfair, it's not an argument, it's a bizarrely vehement attack on a kind of music that you could very easily ignore the existence of and probably save yourself a fair amount of stress in doing so. As you yourself said,

I can see how some people would enjoy this..I'm just not one of them.

No, you're not, but why rag on the people who make or enjoy this music just because of that? In doing so you're not putting yourself in any better light than the cretins of YouTube who feel compelled to remind anyone who listens to something they feel no warmth towards that "ur ghey becoz this band is ghey becoz their fags".

And yeah, these arguments tend to descend into people reminding other people of the pitfalls of subjectivity, because a lot of us are fairly consistently amazed at how often people forget that you need some semblance of an argument outside of "I don't like this because it sucks and it sucks because it's not in line with my taste" to avoid meaningless circularity.

')