WTF is this sh*t?

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score

0:45-1:00

Sort of what you guys are talking about. Not the best example but growling in defined pitches is definitely possible, but too bad this is the only example I could think of...

? That's a couple tracks of actual singing and a track of growling.

What do you mean by "defined pitches"? If you mean being able to "tune" your growl to pitches clearly discernable to the human ear, where have you heard this?

I give the bassist props for building his bass

Yeah, looked like a nice bass.

II mean yeah I have some Necrophagist and Origin playing but even then I find some cool grooves that those dudes use.

Definitely. When I first heard Necrophagist it was hard for me to listen to them for more than a song, but over time, it sinks in.

This whole "tech-for the sake of being technical-metal" is just a fad at this point. Like Deathcore. Kids are doing it just to do it.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Woah now, no need to bash Braindrill. They aren't anywhere near as crazy as these guys. At least it is possible to remember a Braindrill riff >.>

I do agree though that a lot of band today are being technical for the sake of being technical. They're all have a boner for being absurdly technical but maybe once in a while they should direct that boner towards actually writing a song with hooks, dynamics and a fucking chorus every now and then.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Let me tell you why. First reason is truly aggressive music requires aggressive vocals. Well, you may say, "Nevermore is aggressive, and they have a real singer". No, they're not. They're heavy, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're aggressive. Now, for more angry passages, Warrel Dane will slap on a more pissed off tone, which is fine, but you cannot tell me that Necrophagist, Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse, etc. would benefit from an actual singer. That's flat out ridiculous. Not only that, but if you've got guitarists and bass players flying up and down on their fretboards, someone going tra laa laal allaaaaaa would be insanely redundant. Clean vocals have their place, and I do like them, but in certain bands (like this one), they are not welcomed.

Now, if you don't mind me, I'll get back to transcribing Shania Twain and Yeah Yeah Yeah's songs on my 8 string. :shannon2:

This post makes entirely too much sense, sir.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I felt that fell under "not caring to learn it", I probably should have expanded on what I meant though.

Fair enough... I wasn't saying that you were necessarily "wrong" or that you'd forgotten something, per se. Just adding a little somethin' somethin'... and perhaps overlapping your point a bit hehe... :D

Antimatter

Reaction score
Let me tell you why. First reason is truly aggressive music requires aggressive vocals. Well, you may say, "Nevermore is aggressive, and they have a real singer". No, they're not. They're heavy, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're aggressive. Now, for more angry passages, Warrel Dane will slap on a more pissed off tone, which is fine, but you cannot tell me that Necrophagist, Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse, etc. would benefit from an actual singer. That's flat out ridiculous. Not only that, but if you've got guitarists and bass players flying up and down on their fretboards, someone going tra laa laal allaaaaaa would be insanely redundant. Clean vocals have their place, and I do like them, but in certain bands (like this one), they are not welcomed.

Now, if you don't mind me, I'll get back to transcribing Shania Twain and Yeah Yeah Yeah's songs on my 8 string. :shannon2:

/thread

DrunkyMunky

Korn plzkthkxbai
Reaction score
So vocal "agression" is screaming? No understandable singing with attitude and meaningful twisted strong lyrics? Please someone growl some teletubbies songs, sure it will be brutalz.

It's a shame that I have to miss so many great talent in instrumentation just because an asshole doesn't know how to sing. But maybe it's just me... I honestly can't picture Meshuggah with a different "singer", but I can't quite get their music either.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ cuz he didn't mention warrel dane and the fact that he sings but will add "aggression" to his tone when singing if he feels it's needed.

read, my friend. READ.

EDIT: sign em bitches...

otop

Reaction score
In respect to Tech death metal.. There are a ton of bands that follow the trend and do it right... These "hater" posts are kinda pointless, but I must say they are fun to read :p

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tragic irony in the fact there's a thread open about music being too complex and one about music being too simplistic at the same time.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
The problem is that this community has become castrated by the "music is subjective/opinions aren't facts" argument over the years. The people who bring it up all the time are worse than the grammar police. We might as well stop interacting and sharing ideas and just oogle at each other's avatars.

Anyway, I'm in agreement with the OP; These guys are missing the point.

Reaction score
The problem is that this community has become castrated by the "music is subjective/opinions aren't facts" argument over the years. The people who bring it up all the time are worse than the grammar police. We might as well stop interacting and sharing ideas and just oogle at each other's avatars.

Exactly. It's only when people are offended in some way that they go for the "music is subjective" route. You mean to tell me you've NEVER said ANYTHING bad about a band and you've never hated a band or a song? It's called an opinion. If you don't like it, start your own thread about it or something but stop whining because someone can't stand a band.

When you're in a band and you make music you are well aware that some people may like it, some people may hate it. Get over it. You think I rush to my band's aid whenever someone professes hatred towards it? No..who gives a shit? It's even worse when people get their dicks in the wringer over a band they don't even belong to..relax..I'm sure the band in the OP is not concerned about what I think of them, why are you?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

Opinions ARENT facts... They're just one possible way of viewing something. The fact that we don't agree is what gives a forum a purpose in the first place.

Walk it off...

troyguitar

Reaction score

That might be a fine argument for growls in general (not what I was going after at all, that would be stupid on this forum), but my point was:

The growler in THIS BAND is doing nothing whatsoever to push the technical envelope. That's why he doesn't fit. Not because he growls, but because he is not even trying to do anything new or different.

ps - Yes I do think Necrophagist would benefit from an actual singer, I would actually listen to them! :lol:

')