WTF is this sh*t?

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That might be a fine argument for growls in general (not what I was going after at all, that would be stupid on this forum), but my point was:

The growler in THIS BAND is doing nothing whatsoever to push the technical envelope. That's why he doesn't fit. Not because he growls, but because he is not even trying to do anything new or different.

ps - Yes I do think Necrophagist would benefit from an actual singer, I would actually listen to them! :lol:

I think the point of his post was that if his statement is true for growls in general why do you have such high expectations here? In fact, I'd go so far as to ask why do you care at all since you don't seem to like any aspect of the band...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Opinions ARENT facts... They're just one possible way of viewing something. The fact that we don't agree is what gives a forum a purpose in the first place.

Walk it off...

Way to prove my point. I know that opinions aren't facts, and so do 99.8% of the members on this forum. That doesn`t mean one needs to bring it up 20 times when supporting an argument. It`s redundant and mostly unnecessary to the argument.

Even at that, I could argue that some opinions are more factual than others. If someone comes along and says "Bach can't write music" you're going to tell me his opinion on the subject holds as much ground as any others? Please, no need to make this world any more ambiguous and complicated than we already make it out to be :rolleyes:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Way to prove my point. I know that opinions aren't facts, and so do 99.8% of the members on this forum. That doesn`t mean one needs to bring it up 20 times when supporting an argument. It`s redundant and mostly unnecessary to the argument.

Even at that, I could argue that some opinions are more factual than others. If someone comes along and says "Bach can't write music" you're going to tell me his opinion on the subject holds as much ground as any others? Please, no need to make this world any more ambiguous :rolleyes:

I think it's odd that ppl try to put these boxes around free expression... That is all...

You, my friend, need to relax...

I believe that we ALL know that opinions are not facts, but when ppl come around spouting off their opinion about something as if it's the gospel sometimes they need to be reminded that just because they don't care for something doesn't make it inherently bad or wrong much like them liking it doesn't grant it surpreme divinity.

Everything that's needed to be said on the topic has been said. "Don't like it? Don't bother with it."

Why would you take the time to create and participate in a thread about something you dont' even like for fucks sake?

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I said feelings were subjective. Not music.

I have no problem with somebody saying, "This suck." There are Bands that I know are great that I don't like.

My problems is with the, "There's no feeling in this music, therefore this guys are missing the point of making music," statement. Which is quite frankly ridiculous.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Why would you take the time to create and participate in a thread about something you dont' even like for fucks sake?

I thought you didn't want to box up free expression?

Simple, if people only participate in things they like or feel good about, you never get real discussion, growth of knowledge, and the thought process behind it which either strengthens our opinion or forces you to reconsider. Many times, all you get is a collective cock-stroking session where everybody just mentions how awesome they are to each other because they all feel the same way.

It has nothing to do with drawing boundaries, and everything to do with using our intelligence and common sense. When there are arguments to be had, a third of the discussion revolves around one's equal validity to their views/opinions no matter how ridiculous or righteous they may be :noway:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I thought you didn't want to box up free expression?

Simple, if people only participate in things they like or feel good about, you never get real discussion, growth of knowledge, and the thought process behind it which either strengthens our opinion or forces you to reconsider. Many times, all you get is a collective cock-stroking session where everybody just mentions how awesome they are to each other because they all feel the same way.

It has nothing to do with drawing boundaries, and everything to do with using our intelligence and common sense. When there are arguments to be had, a third of the discussion revolves around one's equal validity to their views/opinions no matter how ridiculous or righteous they may be :noway:

I'm not sure where we got mixed up here... But my main problem with this thread, if it wasn't made clear is that I don't agree with the idea that subjects of this thread aren't playing music because it doesn't fit one person's definition (I personally don't like the music myself, but I see no reason to rain on someone else's parade)...

Perhaps somewhere along the way in using too many generalizations I struck a nerve w/ you somewhere...

I'm not even sure I actually disagree w/ you after rereading some of our previous posts... I think there's a misunderstanding of some kind.

If not, I'm willing to agree to disagree even if that's the only thing we CAN agree upon because at this point I see this "conversation" going nowhere...

Good day, sir.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I'll paraphrase a far side daily calendar cartoon I once saw:
"Joe.....take my elephant gun and fetch me my music purist rifle...." :lol:

Look. When you create music, it's gonna be picked apart by people like a pack of wolves on an elk carcass. It comes with the territory. There are things that people like and dislike and they have the right to express their feelings on it. Don't like the opinon? Don't read the damn thread. It's just that basic and simple. Yes music is subjective, so if that's your premise, why continue stirring up the shit in here? (this is just in general, not at one person) I agree with Drakkar on this one, but there are plenty of things we don't see eye to eye on. Still me and him get along great. Why? Because there's that mutual respect for each other's opinions. If an opinionated asshole like me can do it, why the fuck is it so hard for others? Just say to yourself "well I don't agree with your opinion, but I support your right to express it." and move the hell on.

Now back on topic:
My opinion is that music has to have some feel and groove to it. I like being able to hum this shit later on when I'm in the shower. One band that I use as a model for song writing is Amon Amarth. Why? Listen to their shit. It's probably some of the easiest shit a metalhead could ever play. But goddamn if it isn't catchy and epic. Shit like that will stay in people's minds a lot longer than when you trying to play 1,000 notes in 5 measures. I hate that shit for the same reason that I hate crabcore bands that mindlessly chug shit. They find one cool element to put int their music and beat it like a dead horse. Music should (imo) incorporate many different elements into it, not just one or two and say 'well I'm done. Time for the label to send me my check."

Just as I think some bands should put a lot more thought into what they play, I also believe some bands overthink this shit entirely. Music is an expression of the soul, not a math equation. Nerdy dudes that become epic masters at theory, then forget the importance of quality songwriting. Technique is only a part of the equation of a quality song, and unfortunately bands like in the OP prove that they are still lacking as musicians. Why is that? Again, fantastic technique is only 1 part of the equation when it comes to writing good songs. These dudes prove they have NO sense of dynamics at all, and forget that music is best described as the language of the soul. Sure aggression is a part of that language, but nobody is that angry all the time. Even Charlie Manson can enjoy some happiness when the prison guards bring him a ham and cheese sandwich. He might shit in it before he eats it (cause he's that fucking crazy) but he's still a happy guy for all of 10 minutes. (come to think of it, he may even redefine the phrase "shit-eating grin" :lol: )

My point there is that they are being one-dimensional with their music and imo, that's a failure as a musician.....

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
To the OP: While I try not to be to quick to judge, I understand how you feel. Seems like death metal nowadays could be well be a band in the vein of Morbid Angel or a group of kids covering Lady Gaga songs in their 8 strings. There is so much out thee being classified as death metal...

Still, like everything else in this world, this trend will not last forever and musicians will eventually go back to basics.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
While I really admire musicians like those for their techinical abilities, and I admit, I can't even get close to their technique on their instruments, the songs are just not inpiring, and not really that heavy. These guys' songs sound like an old Mario boss tune amped to eleven with someone screaming over it. It has no soul, it's not inspiring, it's not memorable.

Regarding death metal, I never forgot when I first listened to Morbid Angel, or Carcass. The melodies were instantly glud to my mind. I saw these guys' videos in the morning and I can't remember a single part of their songs. When I listened to bands like Death, Morbid, Carcass, Entombed and others, I could always remember their songs for days without listening to them.

Technique is cool when done properly and if these guys are into it, more power to them. DT has a lot of technique and it's fucking memorable, same things for Nevermore... but with these guys? Meh... :noway:

riffist

Reaction score
who gives a shit?

I'm sure the band in the OP is not concerned about what I think of them, why are you?

Now I can't figure out why you'd bother starting the thread at all. If you expect nobody to care and all.

But yeah, this music is ass suck. I could barely listen to the first 40 seconds of the song.

BenInKY

Banned
Reaction score
They could always try to get Mike Patton:

wtf_is_this_shit.jpg

Deathmonkey

Reaction score
I gotta say, I love that shit, the crazier the better. It's challenging, not just to the player, but to the listener. I don't blame a single person for thinking that this style of "big fat bees metal" is dreck, I wouldn't even argue that it isn't. But like all music that is taken to a theoretical and physical extreme, there are going to be fans and detractors. To me, this is in the same arena as Free Jazz, 12 Tone Music, John Cage, and other forms of extreme or theoretical music. This is what bebop sounded like to people when it first started - Louis Armstrong refused to play it, called it "that damn Chinese music".

I think we need people to push these boundaries, even if just to learn that they're there. We have to find that edge, even if only to realize we don;t want to walk off it.

Personally, I love both consonant art, and stuff that challenges the Hell out of me. Stuff that challenges my perceptions, and my attitudes about the world around me. Yeah, after a day or so of Brain Drill or Beneath the Massacre I'll wander back to Soilwork or Throwdown, but there's a part of me that takes pride in listening to - and grokking - the unlisteneable.

And part of the point of this stuff is to piss people off, and I can get behind that, too. Not all art is made for you. Get over it :D

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
Sweeping is the easiest way to get 15(lets be honest a lot of 45 year olds too) year old metal kids to think you're hot shit

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I gotta say, I love that shit, the crazier the better. It's challenging, not just to the player, but to the listener. I don't blame a single person for thinking that this style of "big fat bees metal" is dreck, I wouldn't even argue that it isn't. But like all music that is taken to a theoretical and physical extreme, there are going to be fans and detractors. To me, this is in the same arena as Free Jazz, 12 Tone Music, John Cage, and other forms of extreme or theoretical music. This is what bebop sounded like to people when it first started - Louis Armstrong refused to play it, called it "that damn Chinese music".

I think we need people to push these boundaries, even if just to learn that they're there. We have to find that edge, even if only to realize we don;t want to walk off it.

Personally, I love both consonant art, and stuff that challenges the Hell out of me. Stuff that challenges my perceptions, and my attitudes about the world around me. Yeah, after a day or so of Brain Drill or Beneath the Massacre I'll wander back to Soilwork or Throwdown, but there's a part of me that takes pride in listening to - and grokking - the unlisteneable.

And part of the point of this stuff is to piss people off, and I can get behind that, too. Not all art is made for you. Get over it :D
:agreed:

I like to be challenged with music, but there are also times, I jut like to sit back and relax. So sometimes I'll have Schoenberg or John Zorn on and other times, it'll be some Low or Pink Floyd.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Pink Floyd has some fairly challenging stuff actually when it comes to arrangements. I wouldn't call them "simple."

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
Sweeping is the easiest way to get 15(lets be honest a lot of 45 year olds too) year old metal kids to think you're hot shit
this is true,

when i learned how to sweep (when i was 14, im a mature 15 yr old now :lol:) i thought i was THE SHIT, and now im realising if you sit there and play the same arpeggios it just becomes old and uninspiring, i think its the kid i was that ruins it for musicians my age :noplease:, i would go into my music class and be like "hey everyone, look at me sweep!" sure the kids my age were impessed but my music teacher wasnt, and i never understood why, but now i do, he probably heard people doin it for years..

:agreed:

')