WTF is this sh*t?

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Born4metal85

Reaction score
I agree with you. There's a bunch of shit bands growing like mushroom these days. That shit is really like nintendo and non-musical.

Here's another

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I agree with you. There's a bunch of shit bands growing like mushroom these days. That shit is really like nintendo and non-musical.

Here's another

Nintendo and other 8 bit music is fine, but that was just plain shit. I literally have no idea what the fuck I just listened to. :wallbash:

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I couldn't care less if people like to play fast with little to no theoretical or melodical idea behind it, it seems like something that in it's stupidy becomes an art. Or something to that effect. I like it :shrug:

EDIT: Bear in mind this is to the videos in the OP, I can imagine their's worse in the 7 pages. The song quoted above me for one...

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
can't check at work, it literally yanks youtube links from the page scripting, but i know what band you're referring to.

i view it like this.

these guys have great musical and technical proficiency.

this is great.

but what people fail to realize is that techical and musical proficiency can be developed. most people can get to that level if they have the drive to work that hard.

what a lot of these bands lack is songwriting proficiency.

there's so much weedly wank going on that they forget to actually add in a progression that makes people want to continue to listen.

honestly, this is my issue with quite a few techdeath bands

big long flurries of notes that they want you to process without getting a break in between large groups, so it's simply forgotten in the ear fatigue. the difference is if you're trying to learn it, in which you still do it in pieces.

i love the wankery, but i wish that these bands would realize that you're writing music first, and outdoing every other techdeath/widdlywiddly band second.

it's not a contest. or maybe it is. i dunno...

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score

This is perfect tech, balanced you got groove, you got mind blowing riffs and ideas...I think it's all about balance in music.
The problem today is that bands lost the groove and everything around it, and all they do is focus on the technical aspect of the song, "let's just play super fast".

It's the same with guitarists, take Guthrie Govan or Michael Romeo..super technical players but in the same type load of style and it's not all about technical playing, on the other hand, you got Michael Angelo or Rusty Cooley who's whole point is just to play as fast as possible, and that's just makes them boring as hell.

I don't like old school, actually i cant stand most old school bands(Morbid angel, naplam death etc) but i also don't like trrrrrrrrrrrrr buueeee bbuuuueeeee ahahahahahahahahahaha breakdown clean vocals bueeeeeee trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ahahahahahhahaahahahahahah break.

SikTh, Meshuggah, Protest the Hero and many other bands found the balance between technical playing and music that's because they write music and not exercises.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Anata = tech?

Sikth is a similar sounding band. Never heard them til Anton's post.

Reaction score
I love those guys, whenever I'm in the mood for over the top death metal I'll almost always slap them on. I think it really comes down to what you're in the mood for. Obviously you aren't going to listen to them all day. There's only so much tech-deth you can listen to. So Drakkar, you sir can go fuck yourself.

:wub:

plz dont rape me.

Antimatter

Reaction score
On the subject of hating certain bands or types of music, I find that extremely frequently I will listen to something that I hear about, and be like, "What the fuck, turn this shit off, this is gay" And then like a month later I'll turn it back on to complain some more and it sounds really good. Then I think, "Well what did I listen to before?" :lol:

wlfers

Reaction score
And emotion is completely and utterly subjective. So, is feel. You can't say, "There's no feeling in this so it sucks." It just doesn't work.

This. Even "emotionless" is a feeling in itself.

Everyone has their own personal line that they draw, whether its the line that they wont cross into simplicity, repetitiveness, technicality, and it's never ever going to be agreed upon.

Not my cup of tea, but the great part is I don't have to scout it out on youtube and listen to it if I don't want to. Like scar said, that bassist has some technique though!

wlfers

Reaction score
I love those guys, whenever I'm in the mood for over the top death metal I'll almost always slap them on. I think it really comes down to what you're in the mood for.

Most definitely!

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I played this vid for some of my bandmates. They were like "Man that is fucking cool!" but when asked about the song itself "Meh.....nothing that really stands out in my mind. I actually thought that was more of a guitar/bass lesson tbh."

I'm finding more and more people that are thinking along these lines....

Antimatter

Reaction score
I played this vid for some of my bandmates. They were like "Man that is fucking cool!" but when asked about the song itself "Meh.....nothing that really stands out in my mind. I actually thought that was more of a guitar/bass lesson tbh."

I'm finding more and more people that are thinking along these lines....

That's pretty much what everybody is criticizing them for, it's just kind of a shredding lesson. Not really much of a song. But if they like what they're doing, then they can do whatever they want

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
whatever floats your boat...if these guys are happy with what there doing and if other people enjoy it well all the power to them...

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I've actually talked to Scott and Josh quite a few times over Myspace trying to set up some shows with one another. They're both super nice dudes and (obviously) talented musicians. I absolutely appreciate the style that they come out with. It's clearly not for everyone, but they're definitely doing their own thing. I love listening to a song that I can't immediately sit down and play myself.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
I've actually talked to Scott and Josh quite a few times over Myspace trying to set up some shows with one another. They're both super nice dudes and (obviously) talented musicians. I absolutely appreciate the style that they come out with. It's clearly not for everyone, but they're definitely doing their own thing. I love listening to a song that I can't immediately sit down and play myself.
:agreed:

')