X3Live? Axe FX? GT10? Thoughts/Opinions? (Don't kill me please..)

atavism-dream

Reaction score
Recently, I picked up a Digitech GSP1101. Little more $ than a POD, but I like it a lot. The recording aspect is definitely more flexible with the POD units, so if that is your sticking point, then the decision is an easy one :) If you decide to go the GSP1101 way, make sure to check out Beta versions for DigiTech and grab that firmware! See if your local music store has a decent return policy. Maybe you can try them out and take back the one(s) you don't like!

Anybody else have one of these units? I just recently found out about them and it seems pretty cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I kinda feel like the Pod is the ultimate for dialing in any kind of tone you want, it can sound as good as you can adjust it (of course the Axe is better but at a price)

The GT's I never really liked. The Pod is just better overall IMO if you have the time to tweak it, of course my favorite guitarist Marty Friedman uses the GT's for his tone sometimes, so they definately can sound good, but for me I just think the Pod is above it, just more a pain in the butt to adjust to get a really perfect tone.

The Line 6 M13 is what I use live and I love it, altho I still use my X3L for practicing at home/recording.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I found the opposite :lol: GT's have better tone, but takes more tweaking :lol: It probably depends on your whole setup, and what style of programming you prefer.

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Ok, so it's what... like 500 bucks for those things(excluding the axe-fx)? If you are patient enough you could score yourself a nice used mesa head. Try looking for some of the more underrated mesa, like an f series, mark III or a dual caliber. Any of those will produce a solid metal tone for sure, something IMHO the line6 or boss can't touch. Even if you have to save up a little bit more like 600 or 650 i think you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Well this is an excellent point, and even though I would love to have a REAL amp (especially a Mesa), I'm still just a poor high school kid haha. I get decent money from lifeguarding, but I have to pay for gas, dates with the woman, etc, and really can't spend THAT much... Modelers just seem like a better fit in my budget, and I do need something easy and relatively quiet to take to college next year..

But after I graduate and get myself a job/car/home? I definitely plan on blowing a few thousand dollars for a Mesa half stack and some nice stompboxes for sure. I just need the easy way out right now lol

On another note, someone wanna tell me more about these lesser known Mesa models? The only heads I've ever played or even heard of in guitar shops are just like rectifiers, roadsters, lonestars, etc... The big ones... Are their combo amps any good?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I found the opposite :lol: GT's have better tone, but takes more tweaking :lol: It probably depends on your whole setup, and what style of programming you prefer.

I've had a fair bit of experience with both, and for whatever reason, I just never got along with COSM gain modeling. I think the GT series is superior in every other way, but since I don't usually use real amps, the amp models are a lot more important to me. They can be tweaked to sound decent on the GT pedals, but I've only heard a few people who have actually gotten it to sound good, and even then, it's not really a tone I'd want for myself. This is all just my opinion, of course.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
find a used Carvin X100B if you want a great head for low cost.. they go from 300-500, and are pretty comparable to some Mesa's.

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
find a used Carvin X100B if you want a great head for low cost.. they go from 300-500, and are pretty comparable to some Mesa's.

Interesting... I'll have to look up some clips and hear how it sounds, I've never even heard of it :lol:

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
Are you looking more for a recording setup or an amp/cab live tone? The X3/GT-10 sounds great for recording and practicing through monitors, but if you want a good room tone, a tube amp is the way to go.

You could get a small tube combo or a used head + 2x12 or 1x12 cab for just a bit more than the X3 Live costs; keep an eye out on Craigslist, there are plenty of good deals out there.

PetrucciVai

Reaction score
Are you looking more for a recording setup or an amp/cab live tone? The X3/GT-10 sounds great for recording and practicing through monitors, but if you want a good room tone, a tube amp is the way to go.

You could get a small tube combo or a used head + 2x12 or 1x12 cab for just a bit more than the X3 Live costs; keep an eye out on Craigslist, there are plenty of good deals out there.

Yea, I'm definitely more of a "bedroom guitarist" if you will :lol: I play through monitors at my desk and record covers and original stuff, mostly metal and instrumental guitar a la Satch/Petrucci/etc, I'm thinkin' the Pod X3L is the way to go for me..

Thanks for the info, and its nice to see someone else from alpharetta! :metal:
Just out of curiosity, where in Alpharetta are you?

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
My parents live in Windward, but I'm living up in Dahlonega at the moment, going to NGCSU.

The X3 live is all you really need for your setup, it can produce some great tones when tweaked right. Check out Oceano's new CD, Depths. They used the the Pod XT's tubescreamer into the Dual Rectifier model with the Treadplate cab sim for all the guitars, and it sounds badass :metal:

I use a Vox Tonelab LE at my apartment and it sounds really good too. It has a bit of the tube warmth and feel that the Pod doesn't making it better for Petrucci type tones, but it's not quite as tweakable and the XT, so it the XT has the edge for the super brutal stuff.

Bevo

Reaction score
The X3 live is all you really need for your setup, it can produce some great tones when tweaked right. Check out Oceano's new CD, Depths. They used the the Pod XT's tubescreamer into the Dual Rectifier model with the Treadplate cab sim for all the guitars, and it sounds badass :metal:

:yesway:

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
i own a gt6 and an x3l.like tom i couldnt get along with the gt6 but i think it has a better clean tone.the x3l,i love it.we hit it off together with in 2 minutes.i use it for all my and my bands recording and run it in the loop for fx of my t2 for live playing.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I use a Vox Tonelab LE at my apartment and it sounds really good too. It has a bit of the tube warmth and feel that the Pod doesn't making it better for Petrucci type tones, but it's not quite as tweakable and the XT, so it the XT has the edge for the super brutal stuff.

thats one reason why my roommate wont get rid of his vox ad50vt (even though he has a JSX + 412 cab and a podxt). kinda crummy for tight heavy stuff, but you can get some really nice smooth leads out of that thing. every once in a while he'll bust it out to do petrucci-type leady stuff.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
GT10 once you tweeeeek the living shit out of it you will see/hear there is no equal at all..I owned the X3....Pod Pro...M13...eventide eclipse...played the axe fx...but once again i use the gt10 as effects..and a controller...not as a Distortion box i run the 4 cable method with my amp doing all the work me just controlling it. The GT 10 takes along time to get it where you like it....I just wish the GT10 had 2 controllable effects loops .....good luck with whatever you choose the Gt10 is not the easy choice but if you enjoy the sound of your amps and want to add effects pre/ and /post and controll the amp with latch or MIDI Gt10 is hard to beat!

')