XB1 LAN Party troubleshooting

• Thread starter Mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
So a few friends and I did a little trial run of an Xbox One LAN party and overall I'd rate it pretty close to a failure for our first go. Nothing like the old days of the WRT54g and the original xbox just working. Hopefully looking for some ideas and tips on what to try to smooth out our lag, performance, and general connectivity issues we had. Game we're trying is PUBG, why? because we can.

Anyway, even with just with two xb1's lag spikes would occur probably every 5 minutes and when it did play smooth, there were still pretty noticeable sync issues. We're using a Nighthawk R7000 and an SB6141 modem with 100 down and 20 up connection, all Xbox's hardwired, so I would think our equipment and connections should be sufficient, but maybe I'm wrong.

Things I've tried that seemed to help (or had no effect), but not fix the issue are to enable UPnP, disable QOS, use alternate ports on the xbox's, and set statics.

So far this is the list of troubleshooting steps/settings I've gathered to try during our next attempt:
1. Make sure all Xbox's have different names
2. Enable UPnP
3. Set NAT filtering on router to 'Open'
4. On each Xbox, use static IP, alternative port, and mac addresses
5. Run 'Test NAT' on each Xbox prior to launching game. (I was reading the xbox's are bad about checking nat status and sometimes need to manually do this?)
6. Try different MTU settings (I've seen it mentioned that possibly lowering to 1472 can result in less dropped packets)

Any other ideas or am I on the right track? I'm assuming the Nighthawk should have a reliable UPnP implementation and I shouldn't have to mess with port forwarding or DMZ stuff, but I don't know for sure. What have you done to get multiple xbox one's running well on one network/router?

A bit of a side vent. Fk microsoft/xbox for this giving me any problem at all when they're the asshats pushing for the death of splitscreen, couch co-op, and forcing people to buy 1 xbox/1 monitor for each user that wants to play a game with their friends.

Mike

Reaction score
Well, got it working so I figured I'd update the thread with what worked for someone else's future reference.

1. Use different names for each Xbox. (Settings>System>Console Info>Name)
2. Make sure UPnP is enabled on your router.
3. Set NAT filtering to 'Open' on the routers WAN settings.
4. Use static IP's on all Xbox's, make sure every Xbox is using a different, alternate port than the default 3074. Clear MAC address and restart Xbox.
5. Log into your router and verify that under the UPnP section, each Xbox is showing up correctly displaying the given IP and Port number. If not, change the Xbox's port number, then refresh the router.
6. Lower resolutions to 1080p on all Xbox's. 4k streaming causes lag with multiple devices, unless you have something like google fiber or fios I imagine. (Settings>Display&Sound>TV Resolution)
7. Optional: Use game chat instead of party chat with your group.