Xbox One

• Thread starter RustInPeace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Based on the link provided in the OP, I don't know what to think. ;)

I'll probably buy one when my current 360 kicks the bucket again. I just hope these are a little more resilient out of the box. I'm already getting RRoD nightmares. :lol:

Given the hardware being basic x86-64 based I seriously doubt they'll have the same teething problems that the original 360's and PS3s had. They already resolved the overheating issues in the last few iterations of the 360, and the new architecture should be a much smaller fabrication on both CPU/GPU so I imagine their experience will bear out and their cooling design will be sufficient this time around.

Odd that there is no backwards compatibility with the original xbox though, since that also used off the shelf x86 based hardware.:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
So yeah, after hearing some news about Microsoft charging people to play used games: News: Microsoft confirms 'pre-owned fee' for Xbox One - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Them calling the Kinect a ....ing respirator: Xbox One Will Not Function Without Kinect Attached - IGN

And them effectively killing off backwards compatibility with 360 games: Xbox One not backward compatible with Xbox 360 games | Polygon

Looks like I'm not gonna be getting Microsoft's One Paperweight. Even if they wasn't doing any of that stuff, they really didn't bring anything out that's actually worth looking into

This.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I don't really care about the loss of backwards compatability... as it's been explained many times over why maintaining that is a waste of resources better spent elsewhere. My 360 will still work, and I'm sure they'll do some sort of cloud-based thing where you'll be able to buy older xbox games to play them on the hardware (just like Sony is going to do with older PS games).

The hardware is more or less identical in capabilities to the PS4, so the graphics on both systems are going to be mostly the same. If there are differences, I probably won't care because I also play games on the PC, which will likely outpace both consoles in a year or two anyway.

The kinect sensor needs to be attached, but it comes with the system and you don't have to use it. Personally, I kind of like the idea of voice commands to change channels. I likely won't use it for gaming, but that's just me.

The reason I've stuck with xbox 360 has been that there are more exclusive games that I want to play and xbox live is a better service than the competition IMHO (although it's not like Sony's service is bad). I already have an xbox live account, and excuse my slight fanboyishness, but I want to play Halo 5 and 6 more than what is exclusive for Playstation these days. So, I'll probably end up picking this up.

The name is kind of lame, but I like the TV integration and voice commands for watching it. We'll see more games at E3, but seriously guys, they're going to look the same on the PS4 and Xbox One, so I'm not really all that concerned with seeing gameplay footage.

flint757

Reaction score
Exclusives are the only reason I ever buy consoles which is a shame because I'm only reinforcing their desire to make games exclusive. :lol:

It's a vicious cycle.

myampslouder

Reaction score
but I want to play Halo 5 and 6 more than what is exclusive for Playstation these days. So, I'll probably end up picking this up.

Halo 4 is supposed to be the end of the series.

Halo is supposed to be relaunched as a live action premium TV series with Stephen Spielberg directing. Most of the reports from the reveal confirmed this

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Halo 4 is supposed to be the end of the series.

Halo is supposed to be relaunched as a live action premium TV series with Stephen Spielberg directing. Most of the reports from the reveal confirmed this

Even after 343 said that Halo 4 was the start of a new trilogy and filed copyrights for Halo 4-6? :scratch:

Rock4ever

Reaction score
I thought their presentation was ok, but there was not alot of real news here aside from tech specs. I'm fine with resetting the name...they could have gone either way to xbox one or xbox 3.

If they had named it xbox 720 it would have just kicked the can on down to the next console...xbox 1080 sounds stupid. I wonder if this could have been due to the RRoD. If a unit killing defect were to occur(and they usually due on the earliest of the produced units) and the MS response was to stonewall, would gamers cry out XBOX 720- Twice the Spin?!

It was claimed the XB1 would 15 exclusives and 8 new IPs within a year of launch. This seems a bit over the top, but I hope some of them are good. I need something besides Halo, Gears and Forza. Would be nice if Rallisport Challenge(which I loved way more than Forza) or Crimson Skies makes a return.

MS tends to miss on some of their IPs pretty hard-I'm thinking of Crackdown, Brute Force, Blinx and Too Human...and also the kiddie kinect shovelware.

The best decision they made was to not screw with the controller a whole lot.

Edit- Possibly the worst decision they made- requiring a fee to use a disc on another xbox account. So if siblings or spouses want to play on their own accounts, it costs extra? I'm still trying to figure this one out.

http://www.geek.com/games/xbox-one-...ls-additional-charge-for-disc-re-use-1555995/

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Yeah, there's no way they're gonna let Halo, a huge cash cow, die anytime soon. Plus, they've confirmed it is indeed a new trilogy.

As for the Xbox? I'll pass. Nothing to see here.

One thing that I don't like is the huge push to be connected 24/7. Screw that. EDIT: and I don't mean the "always online" fiasco. I'm referring to social media and entertainment.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
I'm sure they'll do some sort of cloud-based thing where you'll be able to buy older xbox games to play them on the hardware

nope

nooope

NOPE

NOOOOOPE

I'm not buying things I already own.

I'll probably end up caving and getting one but seriously EFF THIS.

M$ should stop attempting to appeal to be a family all-in-one entertainment device (when the whole thing is woefully undersupported anywhere outside the US anyway) and focus on

GODDAMN VIDEOGAMES

god damnit

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Will I get one? No, probably not, because I highly doubt I'm going to want to play anything exclusive.

But I think that the interface developments are a huge leap and really important that someone's doing them, especially voice commands that make sense, are responsive, and you don't feel utterly retarded saying.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Who gives a rat's ass what it's called? I hear everything is going to be stored on the cloud which is what everyone was bitching about previously... I'm actually okay with that as long as they can maintain connections and I don't end up not being able to access my own game over something silly... :2c:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Edit- Possibly the worst decision they made- requiring a fee to use a disc on another xbox account. So if siblings or spouses want to play on their own accounts, it costs extra? I'm still trying to figure this one out.

Xbox One has mandatory game installs, additional charge for disc re-use | Games | Geek.com

Now THAT is lamesauce... Not like the games don't cost enough already...

Every time I see shit like this I get this mental image of corporations being giant toddlers that only know the word "mine".

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
From what I've read so far, game installs are mandatory (who knows how fast that 500gb hard drive will fill up) and an internet connection is required to input a single use only authorization code to allow you to actually install your game and have, to quote Phil Harrison, "permission to play the game".
As far as I can tell there has been no clarification on what happens if you uninstall the game or if the hard drive dies.
If you give the disc to a friend they have to pay full price to get a new activation code to actually play the game after they install it to play it.

There is apparently going to be a way to trade previously played games online but they aren't talking about it yet, merely mentioned that it's "in the works". They should probably start talking about it soon.

I hate linking to Kotaku, but an internet connection being required to run the console seems to have been confirmed as well. What I'm getting from the article is that as long as you connect to Microsofts servers once every 24 hours you can play your game offline without any issues, but if you don't connect to the servers again after that 24 hours for any reason (due to internet issues, etc.) you lose the ability to play at all until you connect again. This seems to be the the first step to the originally rumored "always online" requirement for the console.
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
')