Xbox One

• Thread starter RustInPeace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
fWpJY1n.jpg

Your XBL account gets banned, you lose access to your games.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Osorio

Reaction score
It just gets better! :rofl:

Nothing like some REAL encouragement to keep the cheaters away.

I wonder how liberal they will be with banning accounts, given this fact. The wonders of the future.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Well there goes half the replay value for some people on the CoD franchise.

I'm not one of those people and I love reporting glitchers and hackers, so I say .... em, let em be banned and not let em play. There's no point to playing a game if all you do is have 100% health and deal 200% damage, just running around ....ing shit up. That's fun for about what, 10 minutes? Make a custom game off-line with bots and do that shit ....head, not on XBL where I have to deal with it.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm okay with that. Sick of trolls, sick of cheaters.

Send 'em over to Sony.

wankerness

Reaction score
Well, that's already how it is with Steam and I don't see people freaking out about that. I guess it's just the idea that they'll have a useless disc lying around with xbox games you bought for a banned account, while with steam you are just left with a bunch of useless gigabytes.

wankerness

Reaction score
From what I've read, that was a demo version. The full version will have all characters.

The thing that steers me away from it is the developers. Rare has been in the shitter ever since Starfox Adventures and Double Helix was responsible for Green Lantern, Battleship, and GI Joe games. :lol:

Ryse looked like a QTE fest (it was originally designed for the Kinect, so that makes sense), and like I said, when Capcom said that they wanted to go after the "Call of Duty player" for Dead Rising 3.... no.

I am about the only person I've ever known that will defend Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, but yeah, Rare hasn't produced any really great games since the N64 days imo. Starfox Adventures I did play through all the way and it was a solid zelda rip but...yeah. They've been on the skids since the N64 days.

Sidenote: I'd buy the shit out of upscaled arcade ports of KI 1/2, too bad it will probably never happen :(

Dead Rising was never a game series I liked, but yeah, giving it a "realistic" style seems like it would destroy most of what people liked about the first two.

Don Vito

Reaction score
The first Dead Rising game blows from a technical standpoint, but it had this great atmosphere. Walking in the mall at night with a Servbot mask fighting off crazed cult members and hordes of zombies with a bass guitar.

The second one is better from a gameplay standpoint, but doesn't have as much Japanese atmosphere as the first because of Canadian developers.

The new one looks too American(Canadian actually), but I'd still give it a shot.

tumblr_mdk935qEsn1r84sgs.jpg

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
The thing I keep coming back to about all this (and this is the same for PS as well) is touting these things as complete media centers. The 360/PS3 were both touted this way too. Both HD capable (to a point in the case of 360), neither one supports much in the way of codecs, HD or otherwise.

I get that doing so is just another ineffectual non-attempt to combat piracy but I really ....ing hate having to try and remember what particular formats and various configurations within a particular format my system supports. Just make it play disc based movies and I'll set up an actual media server that doesn't drop its guts on any number of standard video formats that have been around for ages. Don't keep punching out these half measures and telling me how great of a media center it is when I can jury rig obsolete bits of PC hardware together, slap VLC on it and get better results every time.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well, that's already how it is with Steam and I don't see people freaking out about that.

Didn't Steam change that policy? I thought you had access to your games, but you just can't buy new games or redeem codes. I also believe you have to try really hard to get banned on Steam.

With XBL, you lose all access.

flint757

Reaction score
You have to do some hardcore cheating to get full on banned on Steam. They disable your account completely though if I'm not mistaken or at least they used to. It happened to a friend of mine a couple times a few years back. It could have changed more recently though.

Repner

Reaction score
Well there goes half the replay value for some people on the CoD franchise.

I'm not one of those people and I love reporting glitchers and hackers, so I say .... em, let em be banned and not let em play. There's no point to playing a game if all you do is have 100% health and deal 200% damage, just running around ....ing shit up. That's fun for about what, 10 minutes? Make a custom game off-line with bots and do that shit ....head, not on XBL where I have to deal with it.
Sure, but there is a difference between banning them from online play (which I'd agree with), and bricking their machine and entire "offline" single player library.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Yesh... even if you're a filthy cheat, you spent cash on your games. Maybe because you stalled the experience for someone who also spent cash on a game to play online, MS thinks this eye for an eye policy is okay. I don't think it is, unless the person engaging in the ban-able offense does something on the lines of fraud. But then it's a legal offense at this point... I think.

This shit is becoming too dramatic and technical for what is supposed to be entertainment. :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
The thing I keep coming back to about all this (and this is the same for PS as well) is touting these things as complete media centers. The 360/PS3 were both touted this way too. Both HD capable (to a point in the case of 360), neither one supports much in the way of codecs, HD or otherwise.

I get that doing so is just another ineffectual non-attempt to combat piracy but I really ....ing hate having to try and remember what particular formats and various configurations within a particular format my system supports. Just make it play disc based movies and I'll set up an actual media server that doesn't drop its guts on any number of standard video formats that have been around for ages. Don't keep punching out these half measures and telling me how great of a media center it is when I can jury rig obsolete bits of PC hardware together, slap VLC on it and get better results every time.

Yeah, the codec thing is horrendous, I regularly encounter failure to play errors on avis encoded years ago if I try to play directly through the xbox video player.

If you don't have it already, get Tversity media server for your computer. It handles the video decoding on your computer's end so you can actually watch MKVs and the like on the xbox (you choose the Tversity server instead of your computer on the network browser in the xbox video player). It does downscale HD ones but it's more than worth it to have 90% of downloaded videos work on the xbox instead of 30%.

I agree that a real media server is a million times better.

flint757

Reaction score
Read this?

No internet for Xbox One? Microsoft says stop whining and play your 360 | News | TechRadar

Quite frankly Microsoft can suck my balls when it comes to the new Xbox. It's like they're doing everything they can for you to NOT buy the new console.

Indeed, that is a rather poor way of handling the situation. OTOH good news for those with a 360 is that they are going to continue producing 360 games for a couple years apparently. You can go buy a PC or a PS4 and still play your exclusives. :lol:

I'm quite baffled that some countries, like Poland, won't have access.

While I get the why and what their goal/intentions are I'm growing more and more tired of Microsoft trying to be the Messiah to the tech world. I'm first in line to defend Windows 8 because it performs better, has better management, better menus, tools are organized better, looks cleaner, etc., but I'm not a fan of the start menu without a touchscreen. The thing is, with Windows 8, I can at least disable the start screen and re-install a start button with a few mods. I don't like that I have to go this route or how in your face it is when the PC starts, but it is at least fixable. With a few mods and setting adjustments it is an amazing OS.

The same thing is happening here though. They are telling consumers what they should want and saying this is your only option. Only with the XBOX it really is your only option. As an example, the Kinect may be amazing, but it is genuinely retarded that you can't unplug it. Not exactly a deal breaker (other things take care of that :lol:), but it is retarded nonetheless. There is no logical reason beyond forcing what they think is best on everyone for why it 'has' to be used. I get why they want people to own them (so developers will start adding the controller into their games), but there is zero reason IMO as to why it can't be unplugged (especially for servicemen :lol:).

They spend too much time trying to force change rather than letting change occur naturally. They've grown quite impatient over the last year or so. :lol:

Nope, no physical copy. It's like Steam sharing your account detail, except you both get to be online at the same time (just not playing the same copy of the game). And when you need to yell at your buddy to GTFO your game, you can do it with the integrated skype instead of having to drive over to his house to beat his ass and take your disc back. :yesway:

That is definitely a redeeming factor. I'm quite irritated that Google signed an exclusive contract with Microsoft though. Skype, for video conferencing, has kind of become a de facto standard for it to intentionally be excluded from any device.

New Xbox 'a sin against all service members' | Army Times | armytimes.com

Got to say, I didn't see THIS one coming. Their reasons are all entirely valid despite the histrionic headline and it's somewhat hilarious that this Xbone debacle has reached the level of people proclaiming "MS HATES SERVICEMEN"

They definitely make some valid points. Region lock is probably the worse thing for servicemen. They need to come up with a better remedy than keep playing 360 because they will stop making games for it before this cycle is over even if they do maintain 'support'.

Sure, but there is a difference between banning them from online play (which I'd agree with), and bricking their machine and entire "offline" single player library.

Agreed, but that is how many of the PC service work/worked so it isn't exactly abnormal. It is definite incentive for people to not cheat. My issue with both PC services and this is if you let a friend use your account/system and they cheat your system would be bricked. That kind of blows.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried about no more support for the 360. It's an immensely popular console, and I can see publishers pushing out games for it for a while.

The PS2 has been "dead" for some time now, and some publishers, like Atlus, thrived on the console and have released games for it for years.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The PS2 has been "dead" for some time now, and some publishers, like Atlus, thrived on the console and have released games for it for years.

Sony still supported the console up until the beginning of this year. The PS2 was still extremely popular, even after the release the PS3. It didn't "die" until January 2013, when production for the console finally ended.

flint757

Reaction score
Oh I know that, but AAA titles and things people spend weeks discussing/find worth pre-ordering haven't been produced for the PS2 for a long while. I foresee a similar arc occurring and those who wish to not get the XBONE, but still wish to play XBOX, will eventually have less game options for new releases. That will most likely happen before the end of this cycle. Unless this debacle brings a tone more confidence in the 360 for developers, which it might.

Based on the list I'm looking at the only games released in the last couple years have either been in other countries or sports games.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I think certain sports titles were made in PS2 format up to 2012/2013

....ing legendary.

texshred777

Reaction score
Bricked system for cheating? .... that. I don't condone cheating, hell, I don't even understand how someone cheats with a console game. I don't understand the desire to cheat, either. Is it such a big problem in the first place? Most of my gaming is single player so I don't think I've ever encountered it.

I guess XBL bans are also for hacked/modded systems to play pirated games, too. Even then, it seems a little far.

flint757

Reaction score
Well not technically bricked, but your games are tied to your account. If they ban your account any game you have installed that are tied to that account are no longer accessible. Unless you have your resells still available then you might be able to use one to re-install, but I'm just speculating.

In any case, for cheating, banning temporarily or permanently for online play seems more appropriate than just banning your account all together. For hacking/pirating I doubt the user would give a shit that their account got blocked since they wouldn't be playing legit games anyhow.

')