Xbox One

• Thread starter RustInPeace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
Xbox One Policies 'Alienated Entire Military'; Entertainment Research Forecasts Trouble

Things aren't looking so good for Microsoft at the moment. :lol:

Visual DRM patent

This won't happen (at least I sincerely hope not :ugh:), but that's not why I'm posting this second link. It is ridiculous that companies can (and do) purchase patents for things they have ZERO intent on implementing. Maybe it is just me, but a patent should only be allowed if there is genuine intent to make/sell a product using said patent. After a certain time frame of inactivity they should become null and void. I'm sick of this IP war going on and ATM these companies are fighting for/against each other not the consumers. I mean Directv filed for a similar patent which would only benefit advertisers and this would only benefit the industry if it were ever implemented (and not by enough IMO to justify the invasion of privacy).

One comment summed it up best, our rights as consumers are getting stripped little by little everyday and it either doesn't affect enough of us or isn't a huge deal so we let it slide (I'm admittedly guilty of this sometimes as well). Something similar to price creep (think gas/petrol prices) where it happens so slowly that we accept it little by little. I'm an honest consumer who doesn't pirate, buys new when I can, goes to the movies, pitches in when I don't have to, etc. yet get screwed regularly. It's one thing to implement some sort of reasonable protection, but it never seems to end they just keep piling on and making it more cumbersome all the time.
/rant

phew :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I guess with the DRM "war" going on with Sony and Xbox, I'm glad I'm a Nintendo guy. .... the police. :rofl:I'm more biased towards Sony since they're giving the publishers the option, while Xbox is like ".... YOU YOU'RE GETTING DRM WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT."

...Just give me my WiiU price drop.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Xbox One Policies 'Alienated Entire Military'; Entertainment Research Forecasts Trouble

Things aren't looking so good for Microsoft at the moment. :lol:

Visual DRM patent

This won't happen (at least I sincerely hope not :ugh:), but that's not why I'm posting this second link. It is ridiculous that companies can (and do) purchase patents for things they have ZERO intent on implementing. Maybe it is just me, but a patent should only be allowed if there is genuine intent to make/sell a product using said patent. After a certain time frame of inactivity they should become null and void. I'm sick of this IP war going on and ATM these companies are fighting for/against each other not the consumers. I mean Directv filed for a similar patent which would only benefit advertisers and this would only benefit the industry if it were ever implemented (and not by enough IMO to justify the invasion of privacy).

One comment summed it up best, our rights as consumers are getting stripped little by little everyday and it either doesn't affect enough of us or isn't a huge deal so we let it slide (I'm admittedly guilty of this sometimes as well). Something similar to price creep (think gas/petrol prices) where it happens so slowly that we accept it little by little. I'm an honest consumer who doesn't pirate, buys new when I can, goes to the movies, pitches in when I don't have to, etc. yet get screwed regularly. It's one thing to implement some sort of reasonable protection, but it never seems to end they just keep piling on and making it more cumbersome all the time.
/rant

phew :lol:

:agreed: I had been discussing all of this with my wife leading up to E3 and had been steadily dismissing all the hyper fear-mongering and speculation. I still don't think that Microsoft's DRM is as invasive as it could have been. However, I had never really thought about the military component until someone on this forum brought it up and I really wanted to give MS the benefit of the doubt that maybe they just hadn't thought of it either.

Oddly enough, even if Microsoft need to activate the game, they could do so in the same manner that Steam does; where an "Offline Mode" is available and always you to play anything you have installed as long as you've already installed it and Steam has your user information stored. There is literally, no reason to have to check every 24 hours to make sure you're still you.

That being said, since Sony has given the consumer the option of not acquiescing to having additional restrictions I'm finding myself hard-pressed to not support them for doing it.

Halo is really my only reason to pick up a XB1 now and that really saddens me as I've really enjoyed the way MS had provided a viable alternative to Sony. It seems the "evil empire" role has shifted once again :realmad:

Mordacain

Reaction score
Titanfall is being released same day as xbone on pc.

So confusing... read a half dozen articles from different sources all listing different platform confirmations.

Well, as long as it's on PC I'm happy. Unless I need to get a GTX 780 to play it...then I'll be a bit pissed :lol:

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I sortof understand the argument in favor of the online check-in requirement the Xbone has ("What's the big deal, everyone's online all the time nowadays anyway"), but a thought I share a recent experience I had that exemplifies how it can be problematic.

[Preemptive TL;DR: Even people who can afford internet can find themselves without it for unexpected reasons, and thus without the ability to play an Xbone.]

I'll admit that when I'm at home, I am online all the time, and I can afford high-speed internet every month, easily. However, shit can still go wrong and leave a fella high and dry for a while. Case in point: I live and work in South Korea, and I recently switched to a new place of work and a new apartment. When I moved to the new apartment, I had to sign up with the internet company individually (WiFi was included automatically with my last apartment, so I never had to worry about paying for it). No big deal, really, I just had my Korean coworker call the internet company, give them my info, and set it up to deduct the payment from my bank account every month. Boom. Done.

Or so I thought.

Last Tuesday, I got home from work to discover that I had no internet. This baffled me, so I called my coworker to ask her to call the company to see what the deal was. Apparently someone somewhere along the line had entered the wrong ID number in my account file, so when they tried to withdraw the money from the bank every month, the bank denied their request because their numbers didn't match. This went on for three months, as I puttered around online blissfully unaware that it wasn't being paid for until it was cut off.

Now obviously as soon as I found out there was a problem, I just went online and paid my account balance in full myself, and expected that to be the end of it. That was eight days ago, and my internet still hasn't been turned back on. My coworker has called to pester them several times, and today I was told it should be back when I get home from work, but I'm not holding my breath.

At any rate, I've been without internet at home for eight days, despite having access to and the ability to pay for high-speed internet. With the Xbone, that would mean I wouldn't have been able to play games at all for over a week (boo hoo, God forbid, I know). Luckily I game on PC now, so I could just set Steam to offline mode and have a ball. Lord knows I needed to, since I have fuck all else to do with no goddamned internet :lol:.

Mordacain

Reaction score
There's also been some confusion about it being a Windows 8 exclusive. It's not. It'll run on previous version.

Also, some people are reporting that some Gamestops aren't taking preorders from the XBone and don't even have the SKU in their systems.

Not surprised since the Used Game market is Gamestop's real money maker. Despite Microsoft allowing trades on 1st party games, 3rd party publishers could put whatever they want in place. If I was Gamestop, I wouldn't want the headache of trying to sort what can be traded in with what can't.

flint757

Reaction score
JMO, but too little, too late for me. It wasn't the restrictions that turned me off completely (although it certainly didn't help :lol:), it was their responses. They can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

Although I'm glad this happened either way. Victory for consumers! We CAN make a difference. :lol:

Repner

Reaction score
Hah. Microsoft have been trying to tell us what we want for a few years now. So out of character for them to actually cave like this.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I still have hangups with the Kinect. I want a version of the console that doesn't have voice commands or to camera to watch my every move. If they can make that change as well, then I'll consider buying one down the road...

flint757

Reaction score
I figured they might cave, but I thought they would wait a month and let the heat die down first. I figured they'd wing themselves slowly into the decision little by little and as innocuously as possible. Doing it this way, if in fact true, makes it look more like a D'oh moment which if they were smarter they'd want to avoid IMO.

flint757

Reaction score
I still have hangups with the Kinect. I want a version of the console that doesn't have voice commands or to camera to watch my every move. If they can make that change as well, then I'll consider buying one down the road...

I don't mind the idea of it as I'd probably eventually buy it anyhow if I were to buy the console. It'd just be nice if it could be disconnected. It isn't because I think anyone is spying on me either. :lol:

')